• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean we would be fine winning the football World Cup on penalties right?
exactly what was in my mind. ****ing bizarre response from some. the most bizarre being 'it should have gone to the team who lost fewer wickets'.
But that still has sudden death. Cricket just went oh we can't actually separate the teams let's look at our statsheet and pick one out to decide.

It's just weird.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Except "it should have gone to the team who lost fewer wickets" used to be how limited over games are decided. And in a World Cup football game, if teams finish 5-5 on penalties, they don't declare the winner to be the team that had the most on-goal shots in normal play, they take more penalties.

So the response was not exactly bizarre ....
no it is bizarre. how is a few wickets differentiation any better than more boundaries? just cause it was used in the past doesn't make it anymore valid.

thierry henry

International Coach
It was a great and exciting game where the ultimate result was a farce. It happens. It doesn’t have to be ‘sour grapes’ to notice

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no it is bizarre. how is a few wickets differentiation any better than more boundaries? just cause it was used in the past doesn't make it anymore valid.
I mean, that's the point. None of them are particularly more valid.

Should just have been another super over. It's the equivalent of sudden death penalties so why not?

Teja.

Global Moderator
This is the best day of my life!

That was unquestionably the greatest game of cricket of all time. That's better than Australia/South Africa from 99.

I just can't believe how incredible that script was! Boult choking by stepping on the rope, the fieldsmen piffing the ball into Stokes' bat when it wasn't necessary, a draw, a tied superover, New Zealand forgetting to try and hit a six in the super over just in case it came a draw.

This match had everything! I seriously don't think I've ever been happier than I am right now.
All class, per usual.

White Ball

State 12th Man
Heart goes out to NZ for me this is not a good way for a WC to finish the teams tied in both the match and the super over the trophy should be shared

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Been texting a French friend in Paris. My brothers, I can tell you, cricket was the real winner here today... and England because they're world champions, but also cricket won... and New Zealand lost.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
TOTAL BS!!! NZ are world champions in my eyes no matter what the record books say. NZ lost fewer wickets thats the way the winner should be decided

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But that still has sudden death. Cricket just went oh we can't actually separate the teams let's look at our statsheet and pick one out to decide.

It's just weird.
Yeah agree with that. I would just have another super over.

I actually think that is better than penalties in football. It is still actually recognisably cricket. Penalties is not really football at all (and I actually like penalties more than most.)

Burner

International Regular
Just shows how absurd the criticism of Dhoni's innings the other day was. Stokes played the same innings and is MOM.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Great game. Great to see a final where the legit best team of the tournament wins as well.

I guess people will wah about the rules, which are a bit dumb, but England would have won if the rules weren't dumb anyway. So best to just suck it up I guess.