• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fifteen degrees of freedom

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway the 15 degrees is ridiculous, ICC do all these highly complex tests with massively different bowling styles and techniques and so what do the ICC do? They create a single angle for EVERYONE to conform to. I can see it happening in the future where someone deliberately bends their arm bowling leg-spin (for example) because they know they've got 15 degrees to work with that they're not 'utilising'.
1) The 15 degrees is a range of movement which is deemed to encompass all possible bowling styles as 'legal' and has come from rigorous scientific testing to determine a 'legal range'. More than 15 degrees is considered chucking for any bowler but there will be varying degrees of course.

2) 15 degrees isn't actually that much to play with. If you can find a bowler which can control how much they chuck within 15 degrees (especially taking in account no-one can physically bowl with a perfectly straight arm so there'd already be several degrees of flexion there), well you'd find a rare human being indeed.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richard said:
It's interesting, these two replies seem to contradict each other.
First you say to me Griffith was always a chucker, then you say to Corey he wasn't at first then he became one.

How do I contradict myself? I said Griffith chucked the ball. In my first post regarding him I said that Trueman and Barrington both put forward that when they first played him he DID NOT throw and then later on when they did HE DID throw.

Never said anything about him ALWAYS being a chucker Richard, just that he did chuck at times in his career so he is a chucker.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
Evertime i try bowling offspin, i chuck and i can feel my arm wobbling every delivery i try. i have also tried bowling legspin and saw myself in the mirror and my arm was totally straight [no suprise Sarwan is the only bowler who doesn't chuck] and of recent i have even developed a wrong 'un without chucking.

Someone stated earlier that offspinners are more likely to chuck and after the tests i have done on myself, he could be right. i personally think the rules should be put back to 10 degress for all so that no one can have an unfair advantage [there is an unfair advantage] and all cheats should either fix up or find another job.

BTW Richard said something about armbrace and i don't know why Murali just doesn't use one of them. i mean i remember him turning it loads with one on [i think it was on Channel 4] so he might as well use one in matches.
Spin bowling is a nature thing, some people can do it and some people can't. It seems that u can't bowl off spin if u think u chuck ever ball. I don't think leg spin bowler are perfect anyway and i've seen guys who straighten their arm when bowling leg spin. The fact that Sarwan didn't straighten his arm is more to do with his indiviual action then leg spin bowling in generally.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Richard said:
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that one.
Was it confirmed, or was it just one of those supposed comments?
I heard it from Sanjay Manjrekar who was told so by some biomech expert, forgot the name. So I think it is credible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Greg Blewett said:
How do I contradict myself? I said Griffith chucked the ball. In my first post regarding him I said that Trueman and Barrington both put forward that when they first played him he DID NOT throw and then later on when they did HE DID throw.

Never said anything about him ALWAYS being a chucker Richard, just that he did chuck at times in his career so he is a chucker.
Hmm, maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like to Corey you said he wasn't a chucker before 1963... but you'd said to me that some people had noticed that he was a chucker at the time when he wasn't very much above average (1959).
Had he always been one, or did he turn into one?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
I heard it from Sanjay Manjrekar who was told so by some biomech expert, forgot the name. So I think it is credible.
I wonder why the hell that's not been better-publicised, then - because it's hugely important if it's true.