• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favorite Shots

Sudeep

International Captain
We've discussed favorite players, teams etc. Not sure we've had this.

Which are your favorites shots, that have become a trademark of an individual player?

Mine are:

- Ricky Ponting's pull
- Sachin Tendulkar's straight drive
- Steve Waugh's slog sweep
- Sourav Ganguly's dance-down-the-wicket-to-the-spinner-and-loft-over-long-on.
- Andy Flower's reverse sweep

twctopcat

International Regular
Michael Vaughan's cover drive and pull
Freddy Flintoff's straight six.
In fact any cover drive esp Laxman's. :D

tooextracool

International Coach
doug marillier's "marillier sweep"
dwayne smith's flick for 6 from outside off stump and cover drive for 6
marlon samuels' square 6(yeah i know he only played that once in india but its an awesome shot!)

Sudeep

International Captain
tooextracool said:
doug marillier's "marillier sweep"
Ah, still remember that day when Marillier's innings helped India snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Zimbabwe.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
'erm nice thread :)

a) The forward defense known as front foot block in common terms - Mark Waugh and Gary Kirsten The left foot should take you as near the pitch of the ball as possible. The left knee must bend just a bit so that there is no gap between bat and pad.

b) The backfoot defense - Brian Lara's signature shot To survive survive at the international level where fast bowling rules. Once you see the ball short, important to rock back quickly close to the stumps, making full use of the ample space provided in the batting "box".
Get that left elbow high. And keep that head in front. Dont push too much with bottom hand keep that hand soft and closely tucked to your body.
Back foot well back into your stumps in line with the off stump. The front foot follows. Stay side on. Front elbow rises up in line with the ball. Bottom hand loose on the handle. Weight in front.

c) The cover Drive - Sachin Tendulkar and Veeru Sehwag The bat is raised with a much higher backlift, both hands should grip the handle tightly and a turn of the wrists makes the blade face the position of point fielder when the bat is at the top of its lift. The movement forward of the left foot is shorter,the body is fairly upright and the left leg unbent. The bat must travel in the direction that the ball will take and stay on this course after it has actually been hit for the full follow-through to give maximum force. The weight of the body should continue to travel in the direction of the shot with the left shoulder and hip remaining firm with the right shoulder released so that when the stoke has been completed the batsman's chest should be in line with the bowler.

d) The straight drive - Sachin Tendulkar . the left shoulder is the key to all shots off the front foot, particularly the drives. The wider you intend driving to the offside the more should your shoulder go in the direction of the shot.
The left hand must be in total command of all drives. If your left hand is slightly in advance of you right hand it will ensure that the ball stays on the ground as you drive. In defence there will be no follow through. When driving the bat should follow through freely. never play this shot until you are well settled and you are sure of the away movement of the ball.

e) The square Cut - . To cut well, judgment of length, timing and flexibility of wrist are very important. Ricky Ponting brings off the shot, sometimes with both his feet off the ground to pack greater power from the weight of his body.
Get the bat up high so that it comes down on the ball.
Don't jerk your head in any effort to get a lot of power into the shot.
Meet the ball at the right time. The best cut shot is the one that uses the pace of the ball to send it on its way to the boundary.
Let your right hand control the execution of the shot. Use all your wrist power to guide the ball into the ground

f) The Leg Glance - Matthew Hayden and Rahul Dravid (although Dravid chips them off his hips a lil too high and too late). The initial movement, forward or back, is the same as for the straight drive.the shot is either played square or behind the wicket. The forward leg glance is played in front of the pad with the bat angled to steer the ball. Never choose the ball on the middle stump or further to the off when you wish to play this shot. The difference between the drive and the glance is that though the latter is played with a virtual straight bat, at the vital moment the bat is angled with the face of the bat being shut.

g) The Sweep - Matthew Hayden and Veeru Shewag's slog sweeps. played against the spinner. This should be played only to balls pitching outside the line of the leg stump. The ball must be hit all along the ground. If you roll your wrists properly at the time of execution of the shot you can keep the ball well down. Remember that the front pad should be between the pitch of the ball and the stumps. If you place your feet wrongly you might find yourself bowled around your legs. The full toss and the long hop, of which much will be seen in junior cricket, can be hit very profitably to leg provided that you follow these tips.

h) The Pull - Ricky Ponting and Arvinda DeSilva -
The pull is hit hard into the ground. The shot is best played to the short ball that does not rise too high. The back and across movement will position you perfectly when you size up such a juicy short ball coming up. Remember to roll your wrists before contact so that the ball is kept down.

i) The Hook - Ricky Ponting and Mike Atherton - The back foot should not only go back but also far enough across to the offside so that the line of the foot is outside the line of flight of the ball. It is extremely important to keep your eye on the short ball to be able to bring off this shot safely.
The shot is dangerous to play on fast wickets as a miss would mean the ball making painful contact with your helmet or face. Do not attempt to play this shot unless you have been in for a reasonable period of time and feel well set to be able to meet the ball confidently.

j) The Late Cut - Sachin Tendulkar , Brian Lara and Mike Bevan - . Instead of hitting the ball square as it passes the body, it is hit late. This is shot can be very useful in limited overs cricket but is not to be readily recommended at your grade of the game. Unless you are well in and wish to make use of gaps in the field, it is best not to attempt to play the late cut.

Sudeep

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
i) The Hook - Ricky Ponting and Mike Atherton - The back foot should not only go back but also far enough across to the offside so that the line of the foot is outside the line of flight of the ball. It is extremely important to keep your eye on the short ball to be able to bring off this shot safely.
The shot is dangerous to play on fast wickets as a miss would mean the ball making painful contact with your helmet or face. Do not attempt to play this shot unless you have been in for a reasonable period of time and feel well set to be able to meet the ball confidently.
Would include Michael Slater in there too.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Sudeep Popat said:
Would include Michael Slater in there too.

Yes, even Viv Richards (the front foot hooks) and Gordon Greenidge.

The examples I have used were the ones at the top of my head.

ps. Its amazing how the Aussies have such a huge resevoir of talent, the likes of Slater, Bevan, Bichel, North, Elliot, Waugh bros all leaving before their time or yet to play a regulars position in the team. I yesterday read that Hussey bros from Aus are a hit in the English county system. oh well! :dry:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Er, I'm not sure what exactly you'd call it, but the slog that Cairns makes straight down the wicket has always been my favourite to watch. Although the sixes made by Smith in the Windies were a true delight to watch, too. I've never been too much of a fan of the more grounded shots, but a nice square cut or a sweep off a spinner is always nice.

EDIT: I suppose Cairns' shot is something inbetween a straight drive and a golf swing.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
My personal favorite is Ganguly's dance-down-the-track-out-of-the-ground six. I just love it when he does that.
Which coincidentally makes his 183 against Sri Lanka one of my favorite innings ever.

Add to that Tendulkar's cut shot. So pretty :happy:

Hayden also has a couple of nice shots. Yeah, they're mostly beefy and not very elegant, but that's important for me. The thing is, he does it with so much conviction, it just looks good. ;)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I like dance-down-the-wicket shot sourav hits off spinners. He looks very elegant when hitting them. IMO he is the cleanest six hitter in cricket right now.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nice thread

Daren Ganga's defense
Neil McKenzie's stance and play against the spinners
Mark Boucher's Pull
Mark Boucher's Sweep also...
Jacques Kallis's off drive
Herschelle Gibbs's drive
Ricky Ponting's cut

Actually coming to think of it, Mark Boucher is a very attractive batsman.. If I had to chose a batsman to watch for a day, it would either be McKenzie or Ganga.... They may seem like mundane operators, but for someone who appreciates a bit of technique they are the best going....

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sachins cover and straight drives.
Sachins leg glance.
Sehwags lofted 'back' cut for 6
VVS Laxmans wristy flicks through the leg side.
Pontings pull stroke.
Gangulys dance down the wicket.

You can tell who I can support can't you? :D

masterblaster

International Captain
Any VVS Laxman shot mate. His range of shots are simply amazing.

Tendulkar's cover drive and his straight drive are absolutely perfect, its art of the highest quality.

Tendulkar and Laxman are the two greatest cricketing artists (batting wise) in the game today.

Also Ricky Ponting's pull shot is magnificent.