• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest Left Arm Bowler?

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wasim Akram?

Or Bruce Ried?

How come the kak-handers cant get it through anyhow? All seem to want to be swing bowlers?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Akram for me, beautiful swing bowler too. Action that allowed swing both ways and for someone who boled so fast, he could get the ball to swing at the right time too. Late swing and great pace.

Yeah he's the fastest I've seen, also the most entertaining fast bowler I've ever seen.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Akram out of the two you've mentioned above. Amazing bowler, and one of those cricketers I'm truelly grateful for haveing seen bowl. In terms of out and out pace I'm sure Brett Shultz could have fired it up when he had to, dare I say, at his peak he could have been the quickest left armer ever ? No ? Maybe so :P

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Find it difficult to believe that anyone was quicker than Wasim at his prime. No idea what he was ever clocked-at, though.

I found it funny how everyone was going on about Brett Lee's first over hte other night how it combined pace with so much swing. Wasim used to do that day-in, day-out and only fractionally slower.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Geoff Allott was pretty quick at times. Mid to high 140's, but certainly not as quick as Wasim.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Galactic_Soap said:
Akram out of the two you've mentioned above. Amazing bowler, and one of those cricketers I'm truelly grateful for haveing seen bowl. In terms of out and out pace I'm sure Brett Shultz could have fired it up when he had to, dare I say, at his peak he could have been the quickest left armer ever ? No ? Maybe so :P
Brett Shultz (i don't think thats how you spell it though) for me too. At his peak im pretty sure he was slightly faster then Akram. But without the speed clock, its hard to really confirm it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Maestro said:
Wasim Akram?

Or Bruce Ried?

How come the kak-handers cant get it through anyhow? All seem to want to be swing bowlers?
In answer to your question about why lefties can't bowl fast, I think it's to do with the dominant half of the brain.

Left-handers, in one form or another, are the beautiful artists of the game (Garfield Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Ashley Giles if we ignore his batting) whereas the right-handers are the blacksmith-like oafs.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
In answer to your question about why lefties can't bowl fast, I think it's to do with the dominant half of the brain.

Left-handers, in one form or another, are the beautiful artists of the game (Garfield Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Ashley Giles if we ignore his batting) whereas the right-handers are the blacksmith-like oafs.
Ashley Giles, artists of the game, your kinding aren't you? He is a digrace to all spinners, the most boring spinner around. I'm fallen a sleep just writing this post :sleep:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Ashley Giles, artists of the game, your kinding aren't you? He is a digrace to all spinners, the most boring spinner around. I'm fallen a sleep just writing this post :sleep:
Bites lip.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
Bah,Wasim is nothing compared to Ryan Sidebottom...
I think that it is utterly disgraceful that you could stoop so low as to question The Maestro's opinion in such a patronising, sneering manner.

This is not the first time that a root vegetable has caused such consternation on an internet message board. I clearly remember Scaly_Piscine referring to the current England football manager in similar, jokey fashion - even went as far as calling him 'The Vegetable'.

Disgusting that one with a spuddy avatar could re-open those still pustulating wounds.

Not only that, you had the audacity to mention Ryan Sidebottom as being ABOVE Wasim. That is a blatant reference to his ***uality and as such has no place in .... (14 more pages of droning nonsense)

thierry henry

International Coach
I remember Wasim bowling in quite a few games with speed-ball radars and he was usually in the 130s. From probably the late 90s generally low 130s. You all sure he was really that quick?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
errr by late 90's he was on the slide (in terms of pace). in the early to mid 90's he was certainly mid 140's upwards.