• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Farewell - Retiring cricrate

Bijed

International Regular
Really hope this can be kept going somehow, the amount of effort that's gone into this has been incredibly impressive and it would be sad for it to just fade away. Totally respect your decision to stop updating it - I can only imagine what a massive chore something like this would be if your heart's not in it.

I'd love it if you'd drop by and keep us updated on your new project too!

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would be happy to help out but don't have the requisite skills to take over the whole project. I'm an SQL expert, know CSS to a good standard and basic PHP. I would be happy to work on my PHP skills to get them up to scratch, but wouldn't know where to start with Python or Java. If no one else comes forward, are there any Python and Java experts who would be willing to team up with me?

viriya

International Captain
Bring it up in the next podcast. :) I do hope, as ***** said, that some of us with the right knowledge and inclination can take this up and keep it moving forward.
I would be happy to help out but don't have the requisite skills to take over the whole project. I'm an SQL expert, know CSS to a good standard and basic PHP. I would be happy to work on my PHP skills to get them up to scratch, but wouldn't know where to start with Python or Java. If no one else comes forward, are there any Python and Java experts who would be willing to team up with me?
I'm happy to create a road map for the scripts if CW wants to take over. Right now it can be a bit confusing to navigate without knowing what each script does.

Python is bloody incomprehensible. Wish you'd used C++ :p
Python seemed much easier to pick-up than C++ - maybe I just prefer scripting languages.

Bound to be a woman involved
Nope. I wouldn't let anyone influence me in a decision like this.

I couldn't easily find a way to DM you so I'm happy to take this message down if someone thinks it draws too much attention to it, but it's probably a good idea not to have you private key publicly accessible on github.
Maybe PEWS or someone could lock it up for now and then we will wait and see if someone comes forward to take over?
Thanks for the warning - I noticed right after I made the post. Those keys are expired anyway so no harm done. I removed those specific files either way.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

91Jmay

International Coach
This was a great project, superb work. Too often developers don't make the agile changes to code required and you took all feedback on well.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I liked the way you were willing to integrate the opinions of others into it and make it a much stronger program.

Kirkut

International Regular
Damien Martyn's 161 at Kandy is the greatest test knock of all time. Unfortunately no youtube video of this knock.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i admire your dedication to the site so so so so much, and it's so amazing how you, one dude, have managed to create an (if flawed in parts) complete site with a complete methodology that does make sense, whilst taking on board all feedback and changing it all the time to improve it

you've done a good thing man, best wishes for your future endeavours

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well done Viriya, I can't imagine how hard this would have been to manage but so good that your professional career has benefited from it.

I thought the site had the opportunity to make some cash so if you like cash, maybe try and sell it before just completely getting rid of it.

I'll always remember the early days when you had Siddle as the best bowler of all time. Always remember.

viriya

International Captain
Thanks again for the well wishes everyone - really appreciate it.

Well done Viriya, I can't imagine how hard this would have been to manage but so good that your professional career has benefited from it.

I thought the site had the opportunity to make some cash so if you like cash, maybe try and sell it before just completely getting rid of it.

I'll always remember the early days when you had Siddle as the best bowler of all time. Always remember.
No real monetary value in it - there was potential (say if I added fantasy leagues) or if I found a killer betting algorithm.

As I recall Siddle was rated in the top 50 all-time.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Uh how did I miss this thread! All the best for your future endeavors viriya!

I didn't agree with your ranking methodologies at all, but cricodds and cricinsight were great initiatives. Your hard work behind the site is extremely commendable. And you are a great great guy :)

Last edited:

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
As a new member of the forum I would often lurk and check out the cricrate rankings when I had time..I have used it a fair bit to analyse the demise of SL over the years LOL.

Great effort to have kept going it for so long. I fully support the idea of a) selling it - maybe for some Bitcoin eh? or b) have the CW community take it over and keep it running and making improvements along the way.

Good luck!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have been trying to learn Python. Done just basics. It's amazing how powerful programming libraries can commoditize conceptually complex ML techniques.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I learnt C++ in literally the last century. But yes, C++ and C is what I can still fully get even after giving up programming more than a decade ago.