• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Examine cricket games which occurred on the day you were born

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

MisYou go out on a high. Mohammad Abbas **** yeah.

Dull draw. Much better things happened that week.

vcs

No matches seem to have been going on on that day, but there was an Ashes and an India vs. Pakistan series in progress at the time.

morgieb

A pretty standard win from the WIndies. Excellent batting from Lara, Arthurton and Adams to recover them from a tough early spell, but otherwise not a lot that stands out.

The day after I was born this Test started though:

Shane Thomson's knock one of the most under-rated in history?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a test going on literally about 5 minutes down the road from where I was born. Final day of the 3rd Australia v South Africa test at Adelaide Oval. Australia survived for the draw thanks in large part to an uncharacteristically gritty 115 from Mark Waugh. Lance Klusener bowled with some decent wheels at times but couldn't get it done on what was your typical Adelaide freeway

Teja.

Global Moderator
No matches on the exact day I was born down to the year on 5th April 1994, unfortunately. :(

There was a 6th and 7th ODI on 4th and 6th April respectively of a ****ing ridiculous bi-lateral 8 match ODI series in SA between Australia and SA though.

Before the 6th match began, SA was leading the series 3-2

In the 6th match on April 4th, SA casually notched up 227/6 despite never really trying to hit out too much with Hudson 63 (114) and Jonty Rhodes 66 (90) starring. Australia were down to 7-77 but had an impressive comeback from the tail to get pretty close (201) thanks to Reiffel 58 (68) and Warne 58 (58) before getting bowled out in the 49th over. MOTM Rhodes but I think Warne and Reiffel probably had the more impressive knocks considering the match situation. The bowling was uniformly good but no stand outs as such.

SA get to 4-2 and Australia head into the last 2 matches with only the distant hope of drawing the series.

In the 7th match on April 6th, a young Matthew Hayden comes to the side replacing Boon who had a poor showing last game. Unfortunately he bags a duck. Taylor is joined by Waugh at 2-10 and the two marks more than steady the ship with an impressive 123 run partnership with the former scoring 63 (100) and the latter 71 (99) respectively as they bat out the next two hours commandingly. Swaugh, Border and Healy throw bat to leather and collectively smash 90 more runs at run-a-ball for an impressive total of 242/6 to emerge as favourites. The underrated Craig Matthews taking a 4-fer being the only major bowling threat to the Aussies.

SA chasing 242 start out solidly with Hudson again replicating his innings from the last match with 62 (106). At the fall of Hudson's wicket at 102-2 though, the other SA batsmen are able to play middling innings but nobody taking the initiative to up the scoring rate despite having plenty of wickets. Cronje in particular scores a damaging 37 (89) when he should have accelerated more with Hudson batting solidly on the other side. Kulper tried to score faster and remained not out at the end with 38 (45) but it was too little too late with SA ambling along to 207/6 at 50 wickets despite having 4 batsmen within the top 5 scoring 35+ and having plenty of room to accelerate slightly which was needed. Warne stars with the crucial wickets of Hudson, Cronje and Rhodes for 3-31. M Waugh a well deserved MOTM.

Australia get to 4-3 for the series with the one match to go.

The next match appears to be an absolute cracker with SA losing by 1 run failing to chase 203 in 50 overs which might be one of the OG SA chokes but since it's a whole 3 days after my birthday and I've run out of my indulgent **** quota of the day, I won't astrologize from the scorecard. The Hudson top scored for SA for a third consecutive time for 84 (132) to take out MOTM. The series ends at 4-4.

Pretty cool throwback.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

OverratedSanity

This pretty famous game for Pakistani fans :

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...istan-3rd-test-pakistan-tour-of-india-2004-05

My personal memories mixed with some hindsight analysis of the game:
- The double ton from Younis and especially the counterattacking ton from Inzi on day 1 after they were 10-2 was awesome. the manner in which Kumble was dominated by Inzi was both a little depressing and also awesome to watch.
- Looking at his performance in this game and his career stats, a thought I have is that kaneria was actually not that bad at all. 260 wickets playing most of his games on some of the most notoriously flat pitches ever in mid 2000s pakistan is an ok effort.
- Much of the talk was about how negatively the lineup had batted and how Sehwag's positive approach, and his double was a typically destructive knock but if he'd actually been as negative as the rest of the lineup on day 5, we may actually have drawn the game
- However, the collapse to Afridi of all people on the final day was very hard to stomach
- Looking at the scorecard, Kumble seems to have kept fighting for a draw and was stranded not out while the rest of the tailenders were spun out. That doesnt sound familiar at all :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
On his mature main account too. Prior to that, he was terrorizing the forum as a toddler with his precam multis.