• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2020 General Discussion

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Should have been starting this weekend, so I thought it might be fun to predict all the matches and an eventual winner and then see how close the results are when the tournament is played. Did the first three matches and then thought why bother.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Benzema recalled to the French squad, as if they didn’t already have enough good players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Actually pleasantly surprised by the Scotland squad, I'd have had Ryan Gauld for Greg Taylor but otherwise I'm pleased with it.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Actually pleasantly surprised by the Scotland squad, I'd have had Ryan Gauld for Greg Taylor but otherwise I'm pleased with it.
Cannot say I follow Scottish football much, happy to see Kevin Nisbet get a place though! But aside from that minus PL based players and one or two others not too aware of the merits or otherwise of each squad selection. What are the Scottish expectations for the Euros?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Should have been starting this weekend, so I thought it might be fun to predict all the matches and an eventual winner and then see how close the results are when the tournament is played. Did the first three matches and then thought why bother.
no you didn't

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Benzema recalled to the French squad, as if they didn’t already have enough good players.
To be fair I don't think one could say with a straight face his exclusion has been on entirely footballing grounds.

I'm a huge Giroud fan (still reckon signing Lacazette for ~£50m and letting him go for a song was arguably the worst bit of business the Arse have done, with the possible exception of the a acquisition of Mustafi), but Benzema is a definite upgrade.

Be interesting to see what it does to the French squad morale though, our gallic chums never need too much of an excuse to fall out amongst themselves (the 2010 WC probably the zenith of this tendency) and Karim has had his issues, alleged blackmail and extortion not the least of them.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair I don't think one could say with a straight face his exclusion has been on entirely footballing grounds.

I'm a huge Giroud fan (still reckon signing Lacazette for ~£50m and letting him go for a song was arguably the worst bit of business the Arse have done, with the possible exception of the a acquisition of Mustafi), but Benzema is a definite upgrade.

Be interesting to see what it does to the French squad morale though, our gallic chums never need too much of an excuse to fall out amongst themselves (the 2010 WC probably the zenith of this tendency) and Karim has had his issues, alleged blackmail and extortion not the least of them.
I know that Benzema was booted for being a bit, uh, colourful, but he barely feels like the same person now that he's in his mid-30s and as experienced as they come. Footballers who play to that age tend to receive Old Treasure status whether they actually mature or not, so there's a good chance it's an illusion. But as you say, he's so much better than the alternatives that it's worth taking the chance. Deschamps isn't my favourite coach but it's definitely not the type of mistake I'd expect him to make.

I loved that one source was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It makes sense because Benzema was always well respected as a person and a player. He's not Samir Nasri."

DriveClub

International Regular
I know that Benzema was booted for being a bit, uh, colourful, but he barely feels like the same person now that he's in his mid-30s and as experienced as they come. Footballers who play to that age tend to receive Old Treasure status whether they actually mature or not, so there's a good chance it's an illusion. But as you say, he's so much better than the alternatives that it's worth taking the chance. Deschamps isn't my favourite coach but it's definitely not the type of mistake I'd expect him to make.

I loved that one source was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It makes sense because Benzema was always well respected as a person and a player. He's not Samir Nasri."
Yeah I'm sure deschamp must have thought this through and had behind the door talks with benzema. Especially if he can handle being left out of the starting xi etc. Otherwise it's a big risk, could easily blow up in his face.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cannot say I follow Scottish football much, happy to see Kevin Nisbet get a place though! But aside from that minus PL based players and one or two others not too aware of the merits or otherwise of each squad selection. What are the Scottish expectations for the Euros?
I have no expectations really, Steve Clarke's a dour bastard and his style of football, while successful at Kilmarnock and Scotland, is shocking.

I am pleasantly surprised at how positive I am with the squad that was announced though. He's been bold and called up good young players, although in the case of Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull, their call ups does beg the question why they weren't included in March.

Not picking guys like Griffiths is another bold move that I'm on board with.

What's your connection with Nisbet?

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I have no expectations really, Steve Clarke's a dour bastard and his style of football, while successful at Kilmarnock and Scotland, is shocking.

I am pleasantly surprised at how positive I am with the squad that was announced though. He's been bold and called up good young players, although in the case of Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull, their call ups does beg the question why they weren't included in March.

Not picking guys like Griffiths is another bold move that I'm on board with.

What's your connection with Nisbet?
I guess the one positive is with no major expectations the only way is up hopefully and no real connection with Nisbet just like to keep a cursory eye on Hibs progression and I know he's been in the goals so just nice to see him get rewarded.

I was surprised in terms of Gilmour thought he'd get given a go before the Euros if he was in their thinking.