• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ethics

nibbs

International Captain
back in the days of saturday cricket there were times when the opposition were short and would get players from the other team to field for them. there are two instances i can think that really come to mind. in one i had just been batting, and had gotten out. i was sent out to field for the other team. my team was batting at the time. the ball got hit in my direction three times and three times i purposely misfielded the ball and help my side score more runs. looking back that was pretty low. the other instance i can think of was in my second to last season of cricket. i had just received a **** lbw decision and was back into the hut after making a brisk 31 off 42 balls. not long after i was sent out to field for the other team. drama ensued. the batsmen on strike was a player i didn't like at all, he was an idiot really. i was fielding at mid wicket. the next thing i know this guy hits the ball up in my direction. i took a pretty good catch. i hurled the ball up in the air in a rather passionaite celebration and went in for the lap up with the other team. as it happened, my side went onto the lose the match. should have a i dropped the ball or what? or in the other game should have i not misfielded the ball? it's in the past now, but these things still bother me somewhat

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When you are fielding for another team, during that period you are part of that team. So you should field as best as possible without thinking of misfielding or any thing even if it is against your real team in the match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nibbs said:
back in the days of saturday cricket there were times when the opposition were short and would get players from the other team to field for them. there are two instances i can think that really come to mind. in one i had just been batting, and had gotten out. i was sent out to field for the other team. my team was batting at the time. the ball got hit in my direction three times and three times i purposely misfielded the ball and help my side score more runs. looking back that was pretty low. the other instance i can think of was in my second to last season of cricket. i had just received a **** lbw decision and was back into the hut after making a brisk 31 off 42 balls. not long after i was sent out to field for the other team. drama ensued. the batsmen on strike was a player i didn't like at all, he was an idiot really. i was fielding at mid wicket. the next thing i know this guy hits the ball up in my direction. i took a pretty good catch. i hurled the ball up in the air in a rather passionaite celebration and went in for the lap up with the other team. as it happened, my side went onto the lose the match. should have a i dropped the ball or what? or in the other game should have i not misfielded the ball? it's in the past now, but these things still bother me somewhat
Simple thing is there's no way you can ever justify having a competative cricket match where someone's allegiences are switched.
It's just not right. No-one has a right to expect that.
And in a friendly, well - who cares? The result isn't relevant, all that matters is doing the best you can for the team you've been put on.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yup, just field best you can. those misfields are low indeed. though its better then dropped catches on purpose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deliberately dropping a catch is about the lowest thing possible to do in cricket.

shaka

International Regular
I agree, the dropped catches on purpose is low, you should play as normal as possible to what you would do if it was your actual team. I remember in School game, the opposition only had a few players, i was an "extra" for the 1st X1 or something, and they were my mates, so I was asked to bowl, and tried my best to bowl them out, but with little success. However I did manage to get a personal best high score.

nibbs

International Captain
kwek said:
yup, just field best you can. those misfields are low indeed. though its better then dropped catches on purpose.
haha, i remember the ball came at me quite hard and fast, i didn't have to move far. for some reason i was surprised to have taken the catch and it was a lot easier than i figured at first. that guy was called nick webb btw. i'm pretty sure he is in the auckland u19 squad.... *******

nibbs

International Captain
Richard said:
Deliberately dropping a catch is about the lowest thing possible to do in cricket.
i remember once this thick edge went up. it went so high, higher then i think i've ever seen before. garrick was under it, but opted not to attempt to catch it out of fear he might damage his hands.haha good times good times

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
We had some of our players field for the opposition last season. Everyone was like, what happens if the ball comes my way? I don't want to get my teammates out! Maybe they'll hate me forever.

It was good cos I batted at number 5, meaning I was too early in the order to field at the start and once I got in I batted the team to victory so I couldn't bat afterwards.

After that the coach decided we just couldn't do it anymore. Next time we were asked to field for the other team he just looked at the opposition coach and said, "na". Priceless.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember sub-fielding for the opposition in U/16s, and a guy who I had had a lot of trouble running between wickets with during the year (we'd run each other out a couple of times) was batting, and he thought he'd hit the ball past me. I ended up fielding it and getting a direct hit, running him out. That was rather embarrassing. Probably one of the best bits of fielding I'll ever do.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
you've always gotta try your best, i think. whenever i have to field for the opposition, i try, even when my dad's batting.

same thing happened in a soccer match, i was recruited to play for the other team (albeit against the A team). i ended up defending and saving about 3 goals.