• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Establishing the best decade for cricket: Finding the ATG XI from 12 decades of test cricket - then having a KO tourney to decide the best

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Gooch would open. Gilchrist only played 5 tests in 1999 so Healy would be keeper ahead of Moin Khan and Alec Stewart for those who wanted a batting keeper. Dravid didn't play enough in the 90s, so Lara at 3, Tendulkar 4, and Aravinda at 5. I wouldn't pick Murali either. I'd rather have a 7-11 of Brian MacMillan, Healy, Warne, McGrath/Wasim?, Ambrose especially as Steve Waugh's bowling was decent in the 90s.
I don't follow; you can have multiple players and dravid has 3000 runs at 50 he should be a lock?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne during the 90s was clearly superior to Murali during that era. Murali definitely levelled up his game in the 00s, so I'd be tempted to pick Pollock, Steyn, McGrath and Murali in 00s teams and Donald, Akram, Warne and Ambrose for the 90s team.

mr_mister

i'm gonna ruin the McKenzie fairtyale run by voting for Peter Pollock

to go with Sobers and Denis Lindsay

Simpson
Lawry
Barrington
G Pollock
Kanhai
Sobers
Lindsay +
Davidson
Pollock
Trueman
Gibbs

will do a full update soon with all the teams, bowling orders and captains, have been a bit busy with some things.

Anyway, now onto to the 70s team. Everyone should know the drill by now

pick the opening batsmen
pick the number 3
pick the opening bowlers

this should be a good 'un!

mr_mister

Roy Fredericks and Sunil Gavaskar (Gavaskar and Boycott together would be too defensive a combo. We need a shot maker.)

Viv Richards (the '76 series is enough evidence for me)

Lillee and Roberts

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar and Boycott

Viv Richards

Lillee and Roberts

I do agree that Gavaskar/Boycott would be the worst opening combo possible asthetically (as well as perhaps the biggest pair of ****s possible to open the batting). I thought about Richards for that reason but that would open too big of a can of worms.

ma1978

State Vice-Captain
Think Engineer got the short end of the stick on the 1960s.

Lindsay a fine cricketer but a lot more volume out of Engineer.

I also recently had a drink with him at Lords and he is one hell of a storyteller, even in his 80s.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar Boycott
Richards
Lillee Roberts

Gavaskar and Boycott is an extremely defensive opening pair, but fortunately we’ve got one of the most aggressive No. 3’s of all time, usually you’d think coming in with a solid score on the board, so he’s free to go wild.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar
Boycott
Viv
Lillee Roberts

Third seamer will be interesting.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Openers are tough - Gavaskar, Boycott, Amiss, Turner, Richards, Fredericks, Greenidge, and Redpath are all contenders.

Will go Gavaskar, B Richards
V Richards
Lillee, young slim Botham to utilise the new ball swing

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Gavaskar and B.Richards (thought about G.Greenidge, but V.Richards to follow can provide the thunder)
V. Richards

Lillee and Thommo