• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Establishing the best decade for cricket: Finding the ATG XI from 12 decades of test cricket - then having a KO tourney to decide the best

sunilz

International Regular
So this is to find a test (decade) champion and the only bloke in history to captain a side to win a test championship misses out on the captaincy gig?
So you don't consider Viv Richards as the best ODI player of 80s because WI neither won WC nor won CT in 80-89

sunilz

International Regular
Ravi Shastri won Audi Car as player of the series, which was a very big thing in 80s in IND.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it was the first time a car was awarded for PotS or something. Made for a great visual with the team driving around on that car in the ground.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
How about a team of blokes who didn't make it into any of the XIs, lying in wait to prove the selectors wrong? Myriad options and combinations here (and I've probably made some glaring omissions), but as an example:

Barry Richards
Virender Sehwag
Peter May
Frank Worrell
AB De Villiers
Andy Flower
Mike Procter
Richie Benaud
Hugh Tayfield
Michael Holding
Waqar Younis

Ben Stokes (12th Man)

I've not picked a captain, because I want Worrell and Benaud to both have the job. And Flower is the nominal 'keeper but he could always give it to ABdV if he wants a rest or to focus on his batting...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Leaving aside Richards and Procter, who it is hard to judge due to the sample size lolz, who is the greatest cricketer not to make any team? Probably De Villiers for me, very closely followed by Waqar.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah yes, I had forgotten that Rhodes hadn't made one of the teams - I think I assumed he was in the 1900s/10s side!

ma1978

International 12th Man
That team would probably be middle of the pack out of the AT Xis

omissions (excl Richards and Procter)

Younis
Sehwag
De villiers
Khan
Worrrell
Flower
Benaud