• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English wicket keepers

twctopcat

International Regular
Just wondering why england insist on selecting Chris Read ahead of Geraint Jones in the England setup when Jones clearly has the better FC record in terms of batting and seems to be (correct me if i'm wrong) pretty handy behind the stumps for Kent. There's only a couple of years difference so it's not as if they're trying to blood someone dramatically younger. Any thoughts?

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Just wondering why england insist on selecting Chris Read ahead of Geraint Jones in the England setup when Jones clearly has the better FC record in terms of batting and seems to be (correct me if i'm wrong) pretty handy behind the stumps for Kent. There's only a couple of years difference so it's not as if they're trying to blood someone dramatically younger. Any thoughts?

England have had a reputation in the nineties of hiring players and firing them immediatly when they didnt perform (ie Lathwell)... They want to be seen as having faith in chris read, even though he is inferior to Jones.... Basically they crave a settled bunch of guys... Thats my only thought as to why Jones hasnt played yet... :(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jones' batting is not proven consistently - he has played 2/3 of a very good season and then 1/3 of a total washout. As a gloveman I haven't seen him.

Read has played longer and his batting is a known quantity, and is the second best keeper in the country (after Jack Russell).

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Read has played longer and his batting is a known quantity, and is the second best keeper in the country (after Jack Russell).
I know Read's batting is a known quantity and that is what annoys me. In this age there are few pure wicketkeepers around, such is the need for 6 quality batsmen.Therefore why they continue to pick Read despite his pretty poor FC record compared to Jones and the fact that Jones is supposedly a very proficient wicket keeper boggles me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
We know its pretty substandard....
But no one can be sure if Jones is any better, and Read is a better 'keeper, hence he is ahead of Jones in the process.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But no one can be sure if Jones is any better, and Read is a better 'keeper, hence he is ahead of Jones in the process.

Ill admit its early days, however having seen them both, Jones does seem to have more about him....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anna said:
I think Tim Ambrose is pretty good.
Yes, I have since the second time I saw him.
Still not entirely sure if he's England-qualified, or if he wants to be.
But if you ask me he's not too far behind Jones.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
Yes, I have since the second time I saw him.
Still not entirely sure if he's England-qualified, or if he wants to be.
But if you ask me he's not too far behind Jones.
Yet Rod Marsh seems to rank him behind Prior :lol:

I agree with Sangrah that Wallace has alot of ability , I just hope they can find the right man soon & stick with him , rather than chopping & changing for all eternity.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
What would Marsh know about Wicket Keeping?
If he thinks Prior is the next big thing then I'd really question if he remembers anything about it at all...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe Marsh said he was the better wicketkeeper - if so, you'd expect him to know what he was talking about. Expect.
If he was talking about batting, there are loads, including plenty on this board, who are equally placed to judge.
Personally I would say Ambrose is by far the superior batsmen. And that most certainly is not to say there's anything wrong with his wicketkeeping, it's excellent too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
In England I think Mark Wallace has a lot of potential, same with Matthew Prior...
I'm afriad I've never really thought Mark was an international-class batsman. Certainly rate Jones, Ambrose, Read and possibly even Foster ahead of him.
A very good wicketkeeper, without doubt, but not, I don't think, good enough with the bat to warrant consideration.
I'd never say that to his face, though!