• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Super Teams

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well super teams may be too strong a word, but if the counties were split into regional super squads what would they look like?

Same XI for FC and OD games.

Im doing this with only a bit of research so Im very happy for suggestions and to see other peoples teams. In fact that would help a lot as 1 or 2 are very unbalanced.

Ive been out of the UK for a few years so there are probably a number of young guys who deserve to be there who I have missed.

Oh, and only people without cental contracts are available for selection and English.

North (Dur, Lancs, Yorks, Notts)
J. Gallian
D. Bicknell
A. McGrath
C. White
M. Loye
M. Ealham
C. Read
L. Plunkett
S. Mahmood
R. Dawson
J. Anderson

Midlands (Der, Warw, Worcs, North, Leics)
N. Knight
D. Sales
D. Maddy
V. Solanki
J. Troughton
U. Afzaal
A. Keeper
A. Loudon
S. Broad
K. Ali
M. Panesar

West (Glam, Gloucs, Som, Hamps)
Unusual selection of 1 bat, a keeper and 9 bowlers
J. Crawley
I. Blackwell
D. Marcaranhas
R. Croft
A. Caddick
A. Keeper
S. Udal
A. Wharf
R. Johnson
C. Tremlett
J. Lewis

South (Essex, Kent, Midd, Sur, Sussex)
M. Prior
O. Shah
R. Key
C. Adams
E. Joyce
M. Ramprakash
E. Smith
R. Clarke
J. Foster
J. Kirtley
M. Saggers

Midlands looks strong, but the West very weak.
Also some guys are unfortunate in being left out like Cork, Swann, Chapple, Silverwood, Hick etc.

What changes would people make and which is the strongest grouping?

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Goughy said:
J. Crawley
I. Blackwell
D. Marcaranhas
R. Croft
A. Caddick
A. Keeper
S. Udal
A. Wharf
R. Johnson
C. Tremlett
J. Lewis

Midlands looks strong, but the West very weak.
Also some guys are unfortunate in being left out like Cork, Swann, Chapple, Silverwood, Hick etc.

What changes would people make and which is the strongest grouping?
West ought to be something like this imo:

Craig Spearman
Arul Suppiah
James Hildreth (see, not as anti-Somerset as I make out)
Alex Gidman
John Crawley
Ian Blackwell
Sean Ervine
Nick Pothas +
James Bruce (bowling well at the moment for Hampshire)
Andy Caddick
John Lewis

12th man (second spinner who bats a bit) Wes Durston

Let's be honest though, at the moment all the Western counties (and I mean properly western, not Hants who are just wannabes) are pretty weak, but there is some good potential there.

Also, I'm not sure that Worcs would class themselves as a Midlands county, more to the West I reckon, which means you could make some changes to the lineup, like bringing in Kabir Ali for Bruce and Ray Price for Caddick.

Last edited:

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
J. Crawley
I. Blackwell
D. Marcaranhas
R. Croft
A. Caddick
A. Keeper
S. Udal
A. Wharf
R. Johnson
C. Tremlett
J. Lewis
Keeper - Carl Gazzard
Also, I'd add one of Arul Suppiah/Matt Wood/James Hildreth

Biased, I know :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
North (Dur, Lancs, Yorks, Notts)
J. Gallian
D. Bicknell
A. McGrath
C. White
M. Loye
M. Ealham
C. Read
L. Plunkett
S. Mahmood
R. Dawson
J. Anderson
Dawson over Keedy?!? :blowup:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Dawson over Keedy?!? :blowup:
EDIT: Ive seen a fair bit of both and rate each similarly so I really do not mind which is selected. If you want Keedy you can have Keedy.

However, remember 1 has a test cap and the other doesn't so it is not that controversial

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
West ought to be something like this imo:

Craig Spearman
Arul Suppiah
James Hildreth (see, not as anti-Somerset as I make out)
Alex Gidman
John Crawley
Ian Blackwell
Sean Ervine
Nick Pothas +
James Bruce (bowling well at the moment for Hampshire)
Andy Caddick
John Lewis

12th man (second spinner who bats a bit) Wes Durston

Ray Price for Caddick.
Well nearly half of the guys mentioned do not qualify for selection IMO. Kolpak players do not count, and even guys like Spearman who could play for England now should not be counted.
Price, Pothas, Spearman, Ervine have all played internationals for other countries.

Suddenly makes it more difficult for the West.

Chubb

International Regular
Goughy said:
Well nearly half of the guys mentioned do not qualify for selection IMO. Kolpak players do not count, and even guys like Spearman who could play for England now should not be counted.
Price, Pothas, Spearman, Ervine have all played internationals for other countries.

Suddenly makes it more difficult for the West.
Yes I did think Kolpaks were stretching it a bit, but we'd need them.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Goughy said:
Ive played with and against both and rate each similarly so I really do not mind which is selected. If you want Keedy you can have Keedy.

However, remember 1 has a test cap and the other doesn't so it is not that controversial
Go, you. ;) :cool:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Everything new and doomed to failure in this country (ditto the ICC) has the word Super written in front.. I guess its a way to persuade the stupid masses that it really was a super idea, just didn't work out in the long wrong.. Maybe these players could be called "super people" and we could be a "super crowd"

cpr

International Coach
yeah i was thinking swap those two around. Also first opinion was definatley 'wheres Keedy'.... fair enough if you've played against them both.... but Keedy has really, i mean really, come good in the last 3-4 years, whereas Dawson has stalled a bit.

I'm guessing you've left out test regulars, which is fair enough... I'd put Anderson as a reg now though (possibly even Plunkett, though he probably is ok to be included)... In that case i'd definatly put chapple in, damn good all rounder nowadays, still got his destructive moments with the ball (not as many though), and can rack up a good solid score, and fast too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I guess its a way to persuade the stupid masses that it really was a super idea, just didn't work out in the long wrong.. Maybe these players could be called "super people" and we could be a "super crowd"
Super idea

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Derbys should be in North, Notts in Midlands.
From my old house in South Yorks it took twice as long to get to Derby as to Nottingham.
If Derbyshire played every game in Chesterfield then it would be North but they dont so it isnt (thats my logic and Im sticking to it :dry: )

Therefore, Notts North and Derby midlands

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Goughy said:
From my old house in South Yorks it took twice as long to get to Derby as to Nottingham.
If Derbyshire played every game in Chesterfield then it would be North but they dont so it isnt (thats my logic and Im sticking to it :dry: )

Not that it really matters judging by the number of Derby players you chose. Would you take one or two for a Minor County Super Team ?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:

But from Merseyside it takes longer to get to Nottingham than Derby.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From Merseyside it takes longer to get to Nottingham than Milton Keynes. Nottingham is an **** to get to from here.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i'd consider Derbyshire to be more Northern than Nottinghamshire, i'm pretty sure that the England age group regional sides consider Derbyshire part of North and Notts part of the midlands.

We're pretty short of decent Openers up North so Mal might have to open

Dawson can barely get in the Yorkshire side atm the moment. I think over the last 4 seasons he has taken something like 84 wickets@42.43. Over the same period (despite missing half last season with injury) Keedy has 187@25. Yes Keedy may play on better wickets for the spinner, but not that much better. (if you were still considering Notts as part of the North you'd rather have Swann than Dawson, but i'd take Keedy above either).

Loye
Stubbings
McGrath
Muchall
White*
Mustard
Chapple
Welch
Plunkett
Anderson
Keedy

batting pretty short, Stubbings could be replace by Sutcliffe, Chilton, Wood or Lewis, they are all much of a muchness, and Stubbings gets the nod as he'd from Derbyshire. Chapple over Mahmood is a choice i'd make, Welch is there because no team will be able to compete with the Gingerness at 7,8.
including contracted players

Loye
Vaughan
McGrath
Collingwood
Flintoff
White
Mustard
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson
Keedy