• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Molehill

International Captain
I was very impressed by Scott Currie towards the end of last season, and Sean Hunt looks a decent bowler too. Not so enamoured of Crocombe or Garton though.
Actually, I forgot that McAndrew would be joining for the start of the season and is available for Championship games (thought he was Blast only). Currie did well in the London Cup, as did Karvelas, but I'm not sure if he's been retained.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, I forgot that McAndrew would be joining for the start of the season and is available for Championship games (thought he was Blast only). Currie did well in the London Cup, as did Karvelas, but I'm not sure if he's been retained.
Interesting to see how they use mcandrew tbh. He's played more as a #8/9 bowler by his Aus domestic side but when he played county cricket last year his bowling was more 5th bowler tier but averaged 35 odd with the bat. Do they have room to play him at #7 or nah?

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Derbyshire

Ins:
Zak Chappell (Nottinghamshire), Matthew Lamb (Warwickshire), Mark Watt

Outs: Dustin Melton, Mikey Cohen (released), Alex Hughes (retired)

Overseas players: Suranga Lakmal (Sri Lanka), Haider Ali (Pakistan)

Durham

Ins:
Ollie Robinson (Kent), Nathan Sowter (Middlesex), Brandon Glover (Northamptonshire), Bas de Leede

Outs: Chris Rushworth (Warwickshire), Sean Dickson (Somerset), Matt Salisbury (Leicestershire), Ned Eckersley (released)

Overseas players: David Bedingham (South Africa), Tristan Stubbs (South Africa - Vitality Blast)

Essex

Overseas players:
Simon Harmer (South Africa), Will Sutherland (Australia - County Championship, until the end of July), Daniel Sams (Australia - Vitality Blast)

Ins: None

Outs: Adam Wheater (retired), Jack Plom (released)

Glamorgan

Ins:
Harry Podmore (Kent), Zain-ul-Hassan (South Asian Cricket Academy)

Outs: Michael Hogan (Kent), Lukas Carey, Joe Cooke, Tom Cullen, Ruaidhri Smith, James Weighell, Tegid Phillips (all released)

Overseas players: Marnus Labuschagne (Australia), Michael Neser (Australia), Colin Ingram (South Africa)

Gloucestershire

Ins:
Marchant de Lange (Somerset)

Outs: Ryan Higgins (Middlesex), Benny Howell (Hampshire), Ian ****bain (released)

Overseas players: Marcus Harris (Australia), Zafar Gohar (Pakistan)

Hampshire

Ins:
Benny Howell (Gloucestershire)

Outs: Lewis McManus (Northamptonshire)

Overseas players: Kyle Abbott (South Africa), Mohammad Abbas (Pakistan), Ben McDermott (Australia - Vitality Blast), Nathan Ellis (Australia - Vitality Blast)

Kent

Ins:
Joey Evison (Nottinghamshire), Michael Hogan (Glamorgan)

Outs: Ollie Robinson (Durham), Matt Milnes (Yorkshire), Harry Podmore (Glamorgan), Darren Stevens (released)

Overseas players: Arshdeep Singh (India - five County Championship matches across June and July), Kane Richardson (Australia - Vitality Blast)

Lancashire

Ins:
None

Outs: Liam Hurt (released)

Overseas players: Dane Vilas (South Africa), Daryl Mitchell (New Zealand), Colin de Grandhomme (New Zealand)

Leicestershire

Ins:
Sol Budinger (Nottinghamshire), Matt Salisbury (Durham)

Outs: Ben Mike (Yorkshire), Hassan Azad, Sam Bates, Nat Bowley, Alex Evans, Gareth Griffiths, Abi Sakande (all released)

Overseas players: Wiaan Mulder (South Africa), Peter Handscomb (Australia - County Championship, April and May), Ajinkya Rahane (India - County Championship and One-Day Cup, June onwards), Naveen-ul-Haq (Afghanistan - Vitality Blast)

Middlesex

Ins:
Ryan Higgins (Gloucestershire)

Outs: Nathan Sowter (Durham)

Overseas players: Pieter Malan (South Africa)

Northamptonshire

Ins:
David Willey (Yorkshire), Lewis McManus (Hampshire), Ollie Sale (Somerset)

Outs: Brandon Glover (Durham), Nathan Buck (retired), Charlie Thurston, Ben Curran (both released)

Overseas players: Chris Lynn (Australia - Vitality Blast), AJ Tye (Australia - Vitality Blast), Sam Whiteman (Australia - County Championship and One-Day Cup, until the end of August)

Nottinghamshire

Ins:
Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Tom Loten (Yorkshire)

Outs: Joey Evison (Kent), Zak Chappell (Derbyshire), Sol Budinger (Leicestershire)

Overseas players: Dane Paterson (South Africa), Colin Munro (New Zealand - Vitality Blast)

Somerset

Ins:
Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire), Sean Dickson (Durham), Shoaib Bashir (Berkshire)

Outs: Marchant de Lange (Gloucestershire), Ollie Sale (Northamptonshire), James Hildreth, Max Waller (both retired)

Overseas players: Peter Siddle (Australia - County Championship and Vitality Blast, until the end of July) Matt Henry (New Zealand - County Championship and Vitality Blast)

Surrey

Ins:
Dom Sibley (Warwickshire)

Outs: Hashim Amla (retired)

Overseas players: Kemar Roach (West Indies - first six rounds of County Championship), Sean Abbott (Australia - County Championship and Vitality Blast, until the end of July), Sunil Narine (West Indies - Vitality Blast)

Sussex

Ins:
Tom Alsop (Hampshire)

Outs: Luke Wright (retired)

Overseas players: Steve Smith (Australia - three County Championship games in May), Cheteshwar Pujara (India), Shadab Khan (Pakistan - Vitality Blast), Nathan McAndrew (Australia - April to July, County Championship and Vitality Blast)

Warwickshire

Ins:
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Ed Barnard (Worcestershire), Chris Rushworth (Durham)

Outs: Dom Sibley (Surrey), Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire), Adam Hose (Worcestershire), Matthew Lamb (Derbyshire), Ryan Sidebottom (released)

Overseas players: Hassan Ali (Pakistan - until the end of July), Glenn Maxwell (Australia - Vitality Blast)

Worcestershire

Ins:
Adam Hose (Warwickshire), Matthew Waite (Yorkshire)

Outs: Moeen Ali (Warwickshire), Ed Barnard (Warwickshire), Tom Fell, Josh Dell, Jacques Banton (all released)

Overseas players: Azhar Ali (Pakistan), Michael Bracewell (New Zealand - Vitality Blast), Mitchell Santner (New Zealand - Vitality Blast)

Yorkshire

Ins:
Matt Milnes (Kent), Ben Mike (Leicestershire), Jafer Chohan (South Asian Cricket Academy)

Outs: Gary Ballance (released, will now play for Zimbabwe), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Somerset), Matthew Waite (Worcestershire), Tom Loten (Nottinghamshire), Steve Patterson (retired), Harry Sullivan, Josh Sullivan (both released)

Overseas players: Shan Masood (Pakistan), Neil Wagner (New Zealand - first 10 County Championship matches), David Wiese (Namibia - Vitality Blast)
domestic

Molehill

International Captain
Interesting to see how they use mcandrew tbh. He's played more as a #8/9 bowler by his Aus domestic side but when he played county cricket last year his bowling was more 5th bowler tier but averaged 35 odd with the bat. Do they have room to play him at #7 or nah?
Hmm, was hoping he'd be more of a wicket taking opening bowler. Sussex are not short on bowling all rounders who can score 30 odd at 7-9.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Kervelas got a permanent deal and is in the squad. I saw him against Leicestershire in the London Cup and he looked really good.

Molehill

International Captain
Yes Kervelas got a permanent deal and is in the squad. I saw him against Leicestershire in the London Cup and he looked really good.
Although just read he's recovering from a knee injury and not part of the squad tomorrow. And nor is Robinson, so once again I suspect we'll struggle to take 20 wickets.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone playing a fantasy game,. amongst the newbies, I tried to start a League last year, but no-one was sad enough to join me in the cricketer thing.

I miss the Telegraph[h game....

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Here is the Guardian's pre-season take.

Hampshire favourites, apparently.
I still think Surrey will be the team to beat. They've got plenty of good players but don't lose many to England call ups and its not impossible Foakes and/or Pope will make way for Bairstow.

Elsewhere Lancs and Hampshire will be strong.

Hopefully for me, Lancs can go one place better than last year, and have made 2 excellent overseas signings in Mitchell and De Grandhomme. As ever though, will the weather mean too many home games are drawn.

Should be great season.

Heart says Lancs
Head says Surrey

grecian

Obviously I have no real hope over Somerset, but they have addressed the problems that we needed to address over the last few years, top-order runs. Dickson, Kohler-Cadmore, Bancroft and Rew coming through. Bowling should still be okay if a bit aging, and apart from Leach shouldn't be getting too many England call-ups. Cove is probably one of the best County players in the country, stay fit and that could be vital. Abell's injuries are always annoying, but it's just how he is.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I still think Surrey will be the team to beat. They've got plenty of good players but don't lose many to England call ups and its not impossible Foakes and/or Pope will make way for Bairstow.

Elsewhere Lancs and Hampshire will be strong.

Hopefully for me, Lancs can go one place better than last year, and have made 2 excellent overseas signings in Mitchell and De Grandhomme. As ever though, will the weather mean too many home games are drawn.

Should be great season.

Heart says Lancs
Head says Surrey
Jamie Smith is a more than adequate replacement for Foakes.

Hard to look past Surrey though. Strong opening partnership, Jacks is an improving FC player and Latham will probably score runs too. Might be a batter light, but they're stacked with all-rounders (SCurran will probably bat in the top six), and plenty of pace bowling options. Having high-class players not quite at Test level is generally a good recipe for CC success (see also Essex, where Cook retired, Lawrence was on the periphery and none of the bowlers were getting Test call-ups despite FC averages of 20).

Pothas

Here is the Guardian's pre-season take.

Hampshire favourites, apparently.
As long as Abbott, Abbas and Barker are fit they will win plenty of games. I was really hoping they might find themselves a new opener over the winter though. Hoping we might see more of Prest this year.

FBU

International Debutant
Although just read he's recovering from a knee injury and not part of the squad tomorrow. And nor is Robinson, so once again I suspect we'll struggle to take 20 wickets.
Seems a few England bowlers not playing tomorrow Woakes, Anderson, Mahmood, Broad, Robinson
(Archer, Wood, Stokes, Curran at IPL)

HeathDavisSpeed

I'd have Hants as favourites if Derek Kenway was still in the squad.

Seriously though, Surrey look to have a sadly decent line-up and depth that's hard to look past. Somerset look to have improved their first XI the most, I think. Mid-table obscurity probably the heights that Essex are aiming for this year.

FBU

International Debutant
I'd have Hants as favourites if Derek Kenway was still in the squad.

Seriously though, Surrey look to have a sadly decent line-up and depth that's hard to look past. Somerset look to have improved their first XI the most, I think. Mid-table obscurity probably the heights that Essex are aiming for this year.
That's a blast from the past .. remember 2001 Academy Squad with Tremlett

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jamie Smith is a more than adequate replacement for Foakes.

Hard to look past Surrey though. Strong opening partnership, Jacks is an improving FC player and Latham will probably score runs too. Might be a batter light, but they're stacked with all-rounders (SCurran will probably bat in the top six), and plenty of pace bowling options. Having high-class players not quite at Test level is generally a good recipe for CC success (see also Essex, where Cook retired, Lawrence was on the periphery and none of the bowlers were getting Test call-ups despite FC averages of 20).
One difference from last year is that SCurran is at the IPL for the start of the season, so I don't think we'll see much of him in the CC. Sibley and Latham should be good signings though.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cold, dank and miserable in Sussex today. Can’t help feeling that will make Durham feel at home.

Molehill

International Captain
Cold, dank and miserable in Sussex today. Can’t help feeling that will make Durham feel at home.
And then sunshine for the next 3 days. Not sure how much cricket we'll see across the country today, but I suspect there will be a lot of toss winners opting to bowl.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
FBU
Surrey's 4 day game Showing live in india on tv starting at 3.30 pm after 85 minutes

can I have Surrey's playing xl for 4 day game ? Starts today