• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English County ATG Teams

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
so you're locking that in as Surrey's ATG greatest XI Dan? Piers Morgan won't be happy.
More fun would be a Surrey ATG obnoxious XI. Most of the current spots are filled by the current team, bar a few blokes like Tremlett, Ansari and Solanki

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah didn't notice. Probably Vaughan, Illingworth, Close and i dunno Sidebottom for them and Bowes
Johnny Wardle ought to be somewhere in the mix. And Bob Appleyard. Those two with Trueman and Gough would be a mighty handy attack.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As for Surrey, maybe something along the lines of:

1. J. Edrich
2. Stewart
3. May
4. Barrington
5. Thorpe
6. A. Hollioake (capt)
7. J. Batty (wk)
8. Lock
9. Bedser
10. Laker
11. Loader

Saqlain's unlucky not to make the cut, but how do I leave out Laker?

Stewart is without the WK gloves, obviously. I was tempted to give them to Jack Richards for that wonderful Ashes ton in 1986, but Batty was probably a more significant figure, even surrounded by the superstars of the late 1990's / early 2000's team.

Honourable mentions also to Arnold and Bicknell, but Loader's track record was tremendous.

Also to Ramprakash, but there's no way he's playing ahead of May, Barrington or Thorpe.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Having a go at a Middlesex XI

1. B. Edrich
2. Strauss
3. Gatting
4. Compton
5. Ramprakash
6. Parfitt or Radley
7. Murray (WK)
8. Emburey
9. Edmonds
10. Van de Bijl
11. Daniel

Maybe with Brearley as 12th man to bring on as captain when they're fielding.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone obvious in the middle order.
And you'd think they had a good enough all-rounder to bat at 6 at some point in the last 70 years.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Titmus for Embers possibly? and no Fraser, but if you only have two pacemen I can understand why he misses out!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Titmus for Embers possibly? and no Fraser, but if you only have two pacemen I can understand why he misses out!
Truth is I'd completely forgotten about Fraser. As you say, he's a shoe-in for 3rd seamer if they only picked one spinner.

As for Titmus vs Emburey - I have no idea.

Was Murray a good enough batsman to play at 6 maybe? That gives us 3 quicks and two of the spinners.

Last edited:

fredfertang

JT got that Test century against the 1966 West Indians, but he was no Knott

I always wished Embers would give the ball more air - he should never have played one day cricket - it spoiled him

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Having a go at a Middlesex XI

1. B. Edrich
2. Strauss
3. Gatting
4. Compton
5. Ramprakash
6. Parfitt or Radley
7. Murray (WK)
8. Emburey
9. Edmonds
10. Van de Bijl
11. Daniel

Maybe with Brearley as 12th man to bring on as captain when they're fielding.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone obvious in the middle order.
And you'd think they had a good enough all-rounder to bat at 6 at some point in the last 70 years.
Was going to say Jack Robertson instead of Parfitt/Radley but I see they all three had similar(ish) records.
Don't like the bowling attack. Daniel and Van de Bijl are okay. After that Fraser as a third seamer with either Titmus or Tufnell as the main spinner with Uncle Denis the second spinner at County level.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do a Lancashire XI
OK, but not with much conviction.

1. Wood (not convinced, but he did play for England occasionally)
2. Atherton
3. Crawley
4. Lloyd
5. Washbrook (All I know is he came out of retirement to play in the 1956 Ashes. But I don't know how much he actually played post-WW2)
6. Engineer(WK)
7. Flintoff
8. Chapple or Lever
9. Statham
10. Anderson
11. Keedy

Hopefully others will have views on that. I'm really not any sort of expert on Lancashire over the years, despite spending much of my formative years watching their one-day side on the Beeb in the early 1970s.
I'd be surprised if there aren't some glaring omissions in my line-up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to Yorkshire. Post-WW2 excludes Leyland, as well as the guys mentioned earlier. Perhaps that leaves us with:

1. Hutton
2. Boycott
3. Vaughan
4. Lehmann
7. Bairstow
8. Trueman
9. Wardle
10. Gough
11. Appleyard

5 & 6 are quite tough, actually. We're probably looking at two from the great 1960's team - Close, Sharp and Hampshire spring to mind.
Root will eventually be a shoe-in, but perhaps not yet.
If I was cheating, I'd pick Tendulkar, but I think he only played one season for them. And our white rose brigade are probably embarrassed enough about having even one overseas player in the side, but there is no argument against Lehmann playing.
An all-rounder would be nice at number 6, but I'm struggling to think of one who was good enough.

And obviously there are lots of 3rd seamers available if conditions suited - Old, Hoggard and Sidebottom are probably at the front of that queue.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
OK, but not with much conviction.

1. Wood (not convinced, but he did play for England occasionally)
2. Atherton
3. Crawley
4. Lloyd
5. Washbrook (All I know is he came out of retirement to play in the 1956 Ashes. But I don't know how much he actually played post-WW2)
6. Engineer(WK)
7. Flintoff
8. Chapple or Lever
9. Statham
10. Anderson
11. Keedy

Hopefully others will have views on that. I'm really not any sort of expert on Lancashire over the years, despite spending much of my formative years watching their one-day side on the Beeb in the early 1970s.
I'd be surprised if there aren't some glaring omissions in my line-up.
I'd probably have FowIer opening and find somewhere For Fairbrother in the middle order. Ken Higgs a possibility to partner with Statham. Tattersall and Greenhaugh would be in consideration for the spinners role. Having High instead of Engineer and bringing in Wasim as overseas also an option

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd probably have FowIer opening and find somewhere For Fairbrother in the middle order. Ken Higgs a possibility to partner with Statham. Tattersall and Greenhaugh would be in consideration for the spinners role. Having High instead of Engineer and bringing in Wasim as overseas also an option
I've just read up on Washbrook on cricinfo. His best years were immediately after WW2, so he definitely qualifies. Also, he was an opener, sharing some monumental partnerships with Hutton. Reading that, he has to open in Lancashire's team, with either Atherton or Fowler, depending on your preference.
That also opens up a place in the middle order for Fairbrother.

I did wonder about Wasim, but I don't know how long he played for you and I'm not keen to include guys who only played a season or two. That being said, it's not my county, so who cares what I think, really.
Good call with Higgs, but Statham and Anderson are beyond argument, so the former is fighting for a single place with Chapple, Lever and maybe Wasim. The locals can call that one. Suffice to say that a pace attack of Statham, Anderson, Wasim and Flintoff would probably be the strongest we'd see on this thread.

And obviously I have no idea whatsoever about Keedy vs. Tattersall vs. Greenhaugh. Another one for the locals to decide.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim Akram was at Lancashire for 10 years. Colin Croft for 5 and Michael Holding for 1. That's the pace attack sorted. Frank Hayes instead of Crawley in the batting.

fredfertang

I've just read up on Washbrook on cricinfo. His best years were immediately after WW2, so he definitely qualifies. Also, he was an opener, sharing some monumental partnerships with Hutton. Reading that, he has to open in Lancashire's team, with either Atherton or Fowler, depending on your preference.
That also opens up a place in the middle order for Fairbrother.

I did wonder about Wasim, but I don't know how long he played for you and I'm not keen to include guys who only played a season or two. That being said, it's not my county, so who cares what I think, really.
Good call with Higgs, but Statham and Anderson are beyond argument, so the former is fighting for a single place with Chapple, Lever and maybe Wasim. The locals can call that one. Suffice to say that a pace attack of Statham, Anderson, Wasim and Flintoff would probably be the strongest we'd see on this thread.

And obviously I have no idea whatsoever about Keedy vs. Tattersall vs. Greenhaugh. Another one for the locals to decide.
Wasim was always a source of disappointment to me although he had a decent enough record for Lancs - always thought he should have bowled quicker and scored more runs

I'd say Tatt was a better spinner than Greenhough or Keeds, but if there was an eating contest at the tea interval it would have to be Simmo

For the openers I'd go for Athers and the version of Bob Barber that played for Warwickshire in the mid 60s and scored that superb 185 against Australia in 65/66 - decent attacking leggie as well

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
An all time Lancashire XI usually leads to someone mentioning Ian Chappell and Fred telling how he was accosted by him in the gents toilet.