• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs. Australia, 21st Sept

Sehwag309

Banned
Was watching the replay of this game, I feel if Australia had a spinner, they could have applied some brakes on the chase. The runs v/s balls was prety close..boy if Warne was here - it could have been very different

FRAZ

International Captain
^ exactly .
I was also noting that point and also couple of decisions were not given early on and Lee's over started every thing any ways Vaughan played a gem . And in the finals may be Gayle or Afridi and Malik are gonna be the key men . England never seemed comfortable with the spin over all . Any ways lets see .

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Top cricket from England, well played. Hope you guys go on to win the CT to end a golden summer.

Hopefully Vaughan has turned a corner in his ODI career with this knock, I think he's such a classy bat!

If Brad Hogg was not injured, I probably would've played him instead of Lee.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
Yet another prediction of Fraz came true ...
He who is gonna win the toss gonna win the final .

Yes, but they didn't win because of the toss, which is what the implication was.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played, England. Hopefully this will be the turnaround many fans have wanted for so long. Not just for the English ODI side, but also Vaughan.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Incidentally, didn't someone say they'd got twenties against Vaughan being top scorer?

That was me, but it was 20-1 on Vaughan being top scorer in the semi finals so i have to hopoe for a low scorer today, which judging by Inzi's thoughts on the pitch is quite likely

Deja moo

International Captain
England have finally won an ODI vs Australia after a gap of 2072 days..

Vaughan is a god when it comes to elegance vs the pacers..

cricketfan

Cricket Spectator
So finally the establishment of the English Cricket Academy, initially in Adelaide and now run by 'Iron Gloves' at the EIS is bearing fruit. Chosen by the ECB as an English selector Marshie must have a bigger than usual smile right now. Head of the English academy since it opened in 2001. Well done England you deserved to win and Ponting says you will win the final.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricketfan said:
So finally the establishment of the English Cricket Academy, initially in Adelaide and now run by 'Iron Gloves' at the EIS is bearing fruit. Chosen by the ECB as an English selector Marshie must have a bigger than usual smile right now. Head of the English academy since it opened in 2001. Well done England you deserved to win and Ponting says you will win the final.
Correct on all counts (especially the last, I hope) but the timing is just a little off.

The fruits have been there for all to see over the last couple of years, but they were green. Now they are beginning to ripen.

richproject

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Correct on all counts (especially the last, I hope) but the timing is just a little off.

The fruits have been there for all to see over the last couple of years, but they were green. Now they are beginning to ripen.
It is absurd to say that the toss played no part in the outcome.
Sure Australia didn't bowl very well but theres no way we would normally have been subdued by vaughn and giles. There was a visible improvement in conditions when michael clarke came in in the last 10 overs, and it improved even more when england came in. Give me a break.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
richproject said:
Sure Australia didn't bowl very well but theres no way we would normally have been subdued by vaughn and giles. There was a visible improvement in conditions when michael clarke came in in the last 10 overs, and it improved even more when england came in. Give me a break.
Try telling that to Sri Lanka too - England batted first and blew them away (albeit under D/L).

Difficult to come to terms with being totally outplayed from start to finish by the Poms, isn't it?

Whinging Aussies. Pah.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
richproject said:
Absolute tripe, the ball moved around a bit for the first 10 overs of England's innings something which didn't happen at all in the whole of Australia's innings. Australia didn't take advantage of that and were comprehensively outbowled and outbatted as Ponting himself admitted - therefore the toss had no bearing on the outcome at all.

Scaly piscine

FRAZ said:
^ exactly .
I was also noting that point and also couple of decisions were not given early on and Lee's over started every thing any ways Vaughan played a gem . And in the finals may be Gayle or Afridi and Malik are gonna be the key men . England never seemed comfortable with the spin over all . Any ways lets see .
Those spinners aren't good enough to bother England's top 7 unduly, unlike most England teams I don't think there's any weakness against spin (well I dunno what Solanki is like but how likely is he to face a spinner anyway...). I'd only say Flintoff was a bit weak against wrist spin because as Boycott says there's more chance of him picking his nose than picking a ball from the hand.

chris.hinton

International Captain
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We have done it, we have beaten the Aussies for for first time in a ODI for at least 5 years

WELL DONE LADS

NOW LETS WIN IT

we where excellent yesturday, against a Faultering Aussie team

richproject

Cricket Spectator
Ponting was just being polite. One game, and on a crap pitch at that does not prove anything. He can't come out and say what he really thinks now can he. When England bowl Australia out on a true pitch i will be the first to admit they are a better side. Until then, blah.

Look what happened to New Zealand. They batted first and were demolished. Now they recently demolished England on their home soil. England could not have improved so much in such a short period. It is a credit to Australia for scoring 259. Beat us in a series and i'll give all the plaudits.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
richproject said:
Ponting was just being polite. One game, and on a crap pitch at that does not prove anything. He can't come out and say what he really thinks now can he. When England bowl Australia out on a true pitch i will be the first to admit they are a better side. Until then, blah.

Look what happened to New Zealand. They batted first and were demolished. Now they recently demolished England on their home soil. England could not have improved so much in such a short period. It is a credit to Australia for scoring 259. Beat us in a series and i'll give all the plaudits.
Stereotypical whiner - of course a one-off win proves nothing.

I'm a little non-plussed as to how such an innocuous batting line-up as England's could contrive to knock off 260 so comfortably against so formidable a line-up as yours.

If England were to beat you in a series, I'm sure you would come up with another series of equally pathetic excuses.

Welcome to CricketWeb - we have no IQ restriction.

richproject

Cricket Spectator
I disagree with you that the pitch didn't play a part. Yes our bowling was awful. But our batting is always worth more than 260 on any true pitch. I wonder why vaughn put us in. Admit the pitch played a part.

Scaly piscine

Ponting: "We will be disappointed for a little while about this one but as I said we can't be too disappointed when we are outplayed. And today, we were certainly outbowled and outbatted."

more grapes anyone? (Edit: This is directed at richproject)

Last edited: