• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v South Africa (EXPECT A RUN-FEST) at the Magnificent Sharjah Cricket Stadium-- 11/6 (N) Saturday, Match #39, Group 1

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why a run fest?

South Africa have a much better attack than batting order I would think.

England have a better batting lineup than bowling on paper, especially given the injuries, but that's not how their tournament has gone.

Bahseph

State Captain
Should be a good game either way. Really been pleasantly surprised by the Proteas,no one saw them as favourites but they have fought in every game,even if they weren't always performing at an elite level. Still expect England to win because the SA batting just doesn't have enough fire power.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So what happens to these teams' NRR if England have an absolute shocker, are bowled out for less than 100 and SA chase with 8 overs to spare? In other words, how badly do England need to lose by in order for SA and Aus to overtake them?

Heboric

International Debutant
So what happens to these teams' NRR if England have an absolute shocker, are bowled out for less than 100 and SA chase with 8 overs to spare? In other words, how badly do England need to lose by in order for SA and Aus to overtake them?
Nah its over for my team, its not out of the question for SA to beat England, but not an absolute walloping

Howe_zat

Audio File
Even in that scenario England's NRR would only drop to about 1.8, which is above Australia's, and South Africa's would rise to about 1.18 which isn't quite enough to overtake the Aussies. So if they bowled England out for 100, they'd need to chase it down a bit quicker to get through. An even bigger win would be required to knock out England.

If SA bat first, in order to get over Australia's run rate, SA need to win by about 71 runs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah its over for my team, its not out of the question for SA to beat England, but not an absolute walloping
Look I know I'm playing silly buggers here, but SA do have a very good attack and strange things can happen. I'm not saying it's likely, but I just wonder what would need to happen for England to be in trouble.

Anyway, Howe's provided some figures. Cheers mate.

smash84

The Tiger King
Even in that scenario England's NRR would only drop to about 1.8, which is above Australia's, and South Africa's would rise to about 1.18 which isn't quite enough to overtake the Aussies. So if they bowled England out for 100, they'd need to chase it down a bit quicker to get through. An even bigger win would be required to knock out England.

If SA bat first, in order to get over Australia's run rate, SA need to win by about 71 runs.
Thanks for this, the NRR calculations always seem a bit confusing to me.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thanks for this, the NRR calculations always seem a bit confusing to me.
Yeah it's convoluted as **** tbh. The 71 runs is annoyingly still an estimate because it actually depends on the total number of runs and overs across all matches, so a game where SA win by 100 runs to 29 all out actually counts as a bigger win for their NRR than if they win by 200 runs to 129 all out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In a way, Sharjah is very well suited for a 160 plays 80 kinda game. But its small boundaries and England's big hitters.... Tough luck but seems like another bitter ICC pill to swallow for RSA. :(

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ali back to being England's (joint) top wicket taker in the tournament, not bad for a bloke who wasn't asked to bowl in one game

smash84

The Tiger King
Dussen followed bad batting with good batting,

he went for a 6 after the initial 4, but then immediately realized his mistake and took the single. That's good cricket.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Not sure what South Africa is thinking here, it might not be the best pitch to bat on but they should be trying to bash it every over and try get 200. Being one down after 9 overs and going under 7s ain’t going to cut it.

smash84

The Tiger King
seriously, if there was ever a time to show "intent" , it was this match in the world cup, needless to say SA look **** going at 7 rpo when they need to win big

Howe_zat

Audio File
seriously, if there was ever a time to show "intent" , it was this match in the world cup, needless to say SA look **** going at 7 rpo when they need to win big
And a couple of shots later, the run rate is 7.5, then 8.5 the next over. Funny that.

Good partnerships immediately fix the problem. To say nothing of the assumption that the batsmen could score more if only they opted to.