• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v New Zealand (SUPER OVER? BOUNDARY COUNTBACK?) at Abu Dhabi, 11-10 Wednesday (N), Semi-final #1

BeeGee

International Captain
I would rather beat the Aussies in the final (great to take out all of the big 3 in the tournament) but if we beat Pakistan in the final we go to no 1 in the world in all 3 formats.
Australia punch above their weight when they play us, but I'd rather be number 1 in all three formats.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
English fans being a bit dramatic wanting big changes all of a sudden. Through 36 overs you had NZ needing a world record last 4 overs to win. Basically a winning performance but for 3 overs of bowling.
Don't want changes. Want a full side out in a big game, might help a bit.

slippy888

International Captain
So happy for Kane he is a class act, and New Zealand cricket put in hard work over the years now the results they deserve are coming.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
English fans being a bit dramatic wanting big changes all of a sudden. Through 36 overs you had NZ needing a world record last 4 overs to win. Basically a winning performance but for 3 overs of bowling.
Not a fan per se but the way Chris Jordan has been bowling for the last year signalled that this was very much possible. This England team are atrociously bad at the death. As good a side as they are, they're not evolving to meet the demands of T20 cricket- and that's one of the most important attributes for a team to win a tournament imo. They are repeatedly making the same mistakes again and again and not learning from it

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy's inconsistent. He was brilliant in the WC final a couple of years ago, but he falls away so heavily in his delivery stride that he's badly prone to losing his radar and dishing up complete crap. I think he's more the kinda bowler who you go to make up an over at the death if one of the frontline bowlers is having a bad day.
I almost like him as a death bowler for that exact reason. He falls over, which kinda spears it in at the hole and can make him hard to get away.

Not a fan per se but the way Chris Jordan has been bowling for the last year signalled that this was very much possible. This England team are atrociously bad at the death. As good a side as they are, they're not evolving to meet the demands of T20 cricket- and that's one of the most important attributes for a team to win a tournament imo. They are repeatedly making the same mistakes again and again and not learning from it
The worst thing about the way England bowled was either their plan, or their lack of a plan. Honestly, if they'd had half a brain they would've bowled wide hole or pace off at both Mitchell and Neesham and won comfortably. Neesham, I think might've scored 1 run through the off side. Jordan had radar issues, although he went wide outside off once then gave up. If you'd asked NZ where they wanted to England to bowl, fairly well they dished up exactly that.

SillyCowCorner1

Jordan was giving us a bowling clinic on how to bowl wides in that over. Not one slower ball. Not one yorker. He bowed down to the pressure just as his mate, Stokes, in 2016.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
fairweather fan reporting for duty. Someone test Mitchell's creatine levels.

I almost like him as a death bowler for that exact reason. He falls over, which kinda spears it in at the hole and can make him hard to get away.

The worst thing about the way England bowled was either their plan, or their lack of a plan. Honestly, if they'd had half a brain they would've bowled wide hole or pace off at both Mitchell and Neesham and won comfortably. Neesham, I think might've scored 1 run through the off side. Jordan had radar issues, although he went wide outside off once then gave up. If you'd asked NZ where they wanted to England to bowl, fairly well they dished up exactly that.
yeah it looked like they were going off the 'let's cramp the long levers for room' theory which is a fair assumption for most players of Neesham's build. He's kinda weird in that he actually plays the pickup/sweep off his legs better than the russell-like heave.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah, he was sweating profusely around the 15th over mark...and looked absolutely drained...but when Neesham joined him, it was almost like a catalyst came and boosted him. Neesham's effect was massive.

He went alpha against a Rashid long-hop and carted it away for six. Earlier, he missed out on a juicy long-hop from the same bowler.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Special mention to Conway for dragging us back into the game. Those scintillating shots through cover tooo... what a ROI this man has given less than a year from debut.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Missing Ian Smith's commentary. Doull is such a bore, his commentary makes the big winning moment seem like NZ just beat namibia in a tri series final. Smitty is iconic.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
So NZ has won the toss in each of their last 4 knockout games.

2019 WC SF
2019 WC Final
2021 World test championship final
2021 T20 SF

Expecting them to win the toss again in final.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Amazing win. Was a busy AF day for me so I'm just watching a replay now and as of NZL's 10th over I am not sure how they won. Wasim had said yesterday that England's death bowling is a glaring weakness and reading through it seems like that was the main reason. Congrats Kiwis, hope to see you guys in the final!

thierry henry

International Coach
yeah it looked like they were going off the 'let's cramp the long levers for room' theory which is a fair assumption for most players of Neesham's build. He's kinda weird in that he actually plays the pickup/sweep off his legs better than the russell-like heave.
I feel like Neesham is more effective than he has any right to be because he has such an exaggerated stance and is basically set up to only ever play one shot. However, he has quite good ‘range’ on that shot….if you go his legs he can flick it for 6, if you go wider he can still muscle it legside for 6, and he’s powerful enough to get short and wide balls over mid wicket. However, if you *really* nail either full and very wide or short and very wide, he doesn’t really have a shot for that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Normally would but this is a very average Aus batting line up
Honestly think it is just gonna come down to the toss again, like it did here. It is a huge advantage, even with much less dew yesterday. And the advantage is biggest in Dubai. Abu Dhabi is a good batting track which means teams can try to post 180+ and that can give them an almost even chance of competing when bowling second even with dew around. Sharjah track is so slow that even with dew the ball can stop on the batsman and make strokeplay difficult, though it will be far better batting second than first. But Dubai is just the right level of slow to mess up sides batting first and then freshen up to be a bit of a batting beauty when batting second. Both Pak and Aus attacks are test quality, esp. Aus where all 3 seamers are test bolters, which is probably not the case for Pak with their 3rd seamer Rauf.