• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
75-80 overs have been bowled each day.

I don't see England bowling more than 75 overs tomorrow. In fact in a losing situation, they might just use quicks in the end to force a quicker end, so there might be just 70 overs left.

So Pakistan has to keep batting at a rate closer to 4

ashley bach

International Captain
75-80 overs have been bowled each day.

I don't see England bowling more than 75 overs tomorrow. In fact in a losing situation, they might just use quicks in the end to force a quicker end, so there might be just 70 overs left.

So Pakistan has to keep batting at a rate closer to 4
They'll need to score at about 3.8 tomorrow and on this pitch and given scoring rates so far this test that should be a breeze.
Only thing will be wickets so the first session is crucial....obviously.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Brooks has had a fantastic test, but at the same time you have to feel for the lad. No matter what he does Bairstow walks back in at 5 when fit and he's back on the bench.

ashley bach

International Captain
Brooks has had a fantastic test, but at the same time you have to feel for the lad. No matter what he does Bairstow walks back in at 5 when fit and he's back on the bench.
Not so sure if that will happen or not, they may try keeping him one way or another, reckon he's Englands next big thing.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Not so sure if that will happen or not, they may try keeping him one way or another, reckon he's Englands next big thing.
Yes Brook will definitely be in after the way he batted here imo. It'll probably be Foakes who is the casualty with Bairstow returning to keeper. Maybe Brook instead of Duckett as opener.

Foakes being the only one not fit to play doesn't reflect that well upon him (possibly unfairly). He just seems to spend lots of time getting injured, ill etc.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Bad light will play an important part tomorrow. There could never be an England Pakistan series without some controversy!
Maybe it's Pakistan turn to finally avenge the 2001 loss under darkness.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Wow, didn’t think this match could possibly get a result. Good on England for that declaration. I can see England easily taking this by the end of the 2nd if they execute well. Reckon there’s a higher chance of a Pakistan lollapse than chasing this down as the bounce becomes tricky.

Kirkut

International Regular
Wow, didn’t think this match could possibly get a result. Good on England for that declaration. I can see England easily taking this by the end of the 2nd if they execute well. Reckon there’s a higher chance of a Pakistan lollapse than chasing this down as the bounce becomes tricky.
Actually a fantastic declaration from England. Doesn't matter who wins or loses, both sides will push hard for a result.

Had England batted all day today and chose to bowl tomorrow, Pakistan would have batted out for a draw. Full marks to England for such a positive mindset.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My complaint isn't about that at all. They haven't given themselves the best chance they could of winning because they haven't used all the sessions available to try and win the game.
Yeah, to use an exaggerated example - if a team declared on the fourth morning but only led by 10 runs they wouldn't actually be giving themselves six sessions to bowl the opposition out, they'd be giving themselves a few overs.

Batting longer would've given England *more* time to bowl Pakistan out here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Once you take bad light into account, England basically gave Pakistan 343 to chase knowing they'd only bowl about 95-100 overs.

While that doesn't seem impossible in the context of the game, if the equation was any tougher you'd think Pakistan would just settle for the draw and then you wouldn't have a top order batsman getting out on the pull. Personally I'd have tried to eliminate a bit more risk by batting like 7-8 overs or make 50 runs, whichever comes first.

I don't think you can say it's a shocker, even if I don't think they got it quite right.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Once you take bad light into account, England basically gave Pakistan 343 to chase knowing they'd only bowl about 95-100 overs.

While that doesn't seem impossible in the context of the game, if the equation was any tougher you'd think Pakistan would just settle for the draw and then you wouldn't have a top order batsman getting out on the pull. Personally I'd have tried to eliminate a bit more risk by batting like 7-8 overs or make 50 runs, whichever comes first.

I don't think you can say it's a shocker, even if I don't think they got it quite right.
Yeah I don't think it was totally ridiculous, I just hate the declare earlier = automatically more time to win narrative.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
England were clear before the game that they were prepared to lose it to give themselves a better chance to win it.

I think we declared too early but that comes from the viewpoint that when you declare you take defeat out of the equation.

We haven't done that - Pakistan could win this but McCullum and Stokes know that and are prepared to take that risk to give them the best chance of winning.

They also take the wider view that test cricket needs to be entertaining to survive and prosper and I think they're right.

It may well be that in time more and more teams will play this way and surely that can't be a bad thing.