• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Provisional and final World Cup Squads

Jacknife

International Captain
Has to be Morgan with Ding Dong opening.

Strauss
Bell
Trott
Bopara
Morgan
Prior+
Collingwood
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Serviceable, anyway.
Yes, exactly the way I see it, the only thing with Morgan is, that he probably hasn't had a bat in his hand since Australia. But yes, drop Yardy and bring Colly back in and you could go Bell or Trott to open, but might as well move Bell there, since Trott is so settled in the 3 spot.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Factoid: Bopara has played ODI innings in every position from #1 to #8, except #5, where he played for the first time today. Looks like he's moving again.

If given the choice, I'd have swapped KP for Morgan right now. So long as Morgan's fully fit and looking good.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Are you implying I wouldn't?
Ah, I see. Yeah, I doubt Prior will go back up the order. At least, I hope the thinking from the dressing room isn't, "Well, that's one plan gone, why don't we try the thing that wasn't working before?"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sometimes when an out of form player gets injured they come back in form. Here's hoping Morgan returns in his Bang away/Oz home form.

Luke Wright can fill the opening berth to save moving anyone else about :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hang on my post doesn't make sense.

Ah well, didn't matter the other 34657 times

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morgan has in horrid form in Australia wasn't he? He's probably still a class above the other options, has an ODI record to fall back on and he'll suit the pitches so no doubt he'll get the nod I suppose.

If we open with Prior the worst case scenario is that he averages 6.66 less than he does down the order this WC :dry:

Jacknife

International Captain
It's a shame for KP because I had a feeling he would have got a big score at sometime and kicked on, much like the T20 WC. Apart from today KP and Strauss have got England off to decent starts and I liked the look of them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I hate to harp on about it, but if any other batsman batting in the top four of a top-flight ODI team managed an average of one fifty per year for the past two years, they'd be on their heels long ago.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is KP definitely out? Was pretty much as he's been in the last couple of years in this WC, made starts without really pushing on, and the customary dismissal to a left-arm spinner. Was shocked by those four overthrows in such a low-scoring game, what was he thinking? He's such a liability in the field these days.

tooextracool

International Coach
Quite honestly, I'd prefer to see Bell bat in the top 3. If that means he opens or if Trott opens, I think England would be better off. I wouldnt have Bopara bat above 4.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's been unlucky with injuries lately. Maybe that has something to do with his inconsistency.

EDIT : Meant Pietersen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not an excuse for one of the best 5-6 players in his age-group to be so utterly terrible for such an extended period.

tooextracool

International Coach
Maybe if he bothered turning up to play CC over the past 6 years instead of prancing around at the IPL, he might actually have been half decent

tooextracool

International Coach
Is KP definitely out? Was pretty much as he's been in the last couple of years in this WC, made starts without really pushing on, and the customary dismissal to a left-arm spinner. Was shocked by those four overthrows in such a low-scoring game, what was he thinking? He's such a liability in the field these days.
According to this it looks like it is official. England have requested ICC to add Morgan as a replacement.

Kevin Pietersen to leave World Cup early for hernia operation | Sport | The Guardian

Spark

Global Moderator
All England need now is someone to hit Yardy (ffs)'s knees with a pole of some kind and they'd be much stronger.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
All England need now is someone to hit Yardy (ffs)'s knees with a pole of some kind and they'd be much stronger.
Only to be replaced in the squad by James Tredwell or Luke Wright. England might as well bring in Shahzad. Ajmal hits the bat hard, can reverse it and he can bat. Better option than Yardy's medium pace or whatever crap Wright would bowl. Colly as a frontline bowler also wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Last edited: