• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lloyd's insinuation that Burns and Sibley must've changed their techniques is interesting, but doesn't sound like it's based on anything. And to assert that Bairstow can do it because he opens in ODIs, come off it. The memory of Sharma scattering Finch's stumps is still in my mind, and Bairstow gets bowled in 28% of his innings - a huge amount these days.

And while I can understand playing Rashid in the subcontinent, I don't get the obsession with picking him elsewhere. Leach has been clearly the best spinner in England for a number of years.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just such a dated perspective without any real logic or analysis. Why can't they have batted like that when they were younger? Because coaches tried to make them more classical and it didn't work? Or maybe they did bat like that.

While we're at it why don't we make Smith change his unclassical trigger movements too.

I thought we were past this ****.

Bairstow make run in IPL so he should open, even though he gets bowled for like 90% of his dismissals. This **** was England coach? Can I have the job?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I've never been a huge fun of Bumble's actual cricketing analysis tbh. He never seems to have done his research on visiting teams for example. He is great comedic value though!

Disturbing the first English opening partnership that might actually succeed semi-regularly for someone who keeps getting bowled between bat and pad is not the most sensible idea I have heard...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What has Bairstow done in first class cricket to rectify his technical fault of being bowled so easily?

Answer, nothing as he hasn't played and until he does he can't be considered for red ball cricket for England.

Though the fact that Bumble wants to drop our best 2 openers other than Cook since Strauss retired beggars belief and says to me he should be getting dragged away by the men in white coats.

Pothas

I remain agnostic about Burns long term, but him & Sibbers have been head and shoulders above any other openers we've tried not called Cook since Strauss gave it away, the all-too-brief Hameed interlude excepted.
Yeah I would be fairly surprised if Burns is still around in a couple of years but that does not mean he needs dropping now.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I would be more than happy if Bairstow opened in the next ashes series, so would Cummins, Starc & Hazlewood.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Speaking of which, Bairstow was bowled last night. One single instance in a T20 doesn't necessarily count, but still...

grecian

I've never been a huge fun of Bumble's actual cricketing analysis tbh. He never seems to have done his research on visiting teams for example. He is great comedic value though!

Disturbing the first English opening partnership that might actually succeed semi-regularly for someone who keeps getting bowled between bat and pad is not the most sensible idea I have heard...
All this really, and I am tiring of some of the humour, keep him for hit and giggle, but ditch him as far as Tests go. He is not alone in the Rashid hagiography though amongst coms, I still put it down to a generation scarred by Warne.

On almost all metrics Leach is a better Test spinner than Rashid, probably Moeen too.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
bairstow is an absolute powerhouse in white ball cricket, one of the best in the world. lets not **** that by trying to shoehorn him into a role totally unfamiliar with him in a different format. bloke should never be allowed near red ball cricket again.

burns good will though with some does confuse me. he's been perfectly mediocre to date, don't see him sticking around past the next 12 months.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
bairstow is an absolute powerhouse in white ball cricket, one of the best in the world. lets not **** that by trying to shoehorn him into a role totally unfamiliar with him in a different format. bloke should never be allowed near red ball cricket again.

burns good will though with some does confuse me. he's been perfectly mediocre to date, don't see him sticking around past the next 12 months.
Perfectly mediocre makes for a good run in pretty much any test team if you're an opener nowadays....

FBU

International Debutant
What has Bairstow done in first class cricket to rectify his technical fault of being bowled so easily?

Answer, nothing as he hasn't played and until he does he can't be considered for red ball cricket for England.

Though the fact that Bumble wants to drop our best 2 openers other than Cook since Strauss retired beggars belief and says to me he should be getting dragged away by the men in white coats.s
Yes. Wants batsmen to score at pace. We want openers to build a foundation, never mind how long it takes. There's batsmen down the order who can put their foot down when needed.

In all forms Bairstow has been bowled 63 times. Other day Bairstow b Archer.

grecian

It's almost like he's totally forgotten the days of us being 30-3 every match because the likes of Bairstow, Roy, Hales trying to score quickly at the top. As FBU says down the order we have all the stroke players to smash it around. A solid start allows them to do just that.

Was the same with prime Cook, Straus and Trott too, again that worked quite well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, if Jonny Red does come back into the test reckoning it'll be as a keeper or, just conceivably, at #6 if Pope's shoulder is still effed whenever we next play.

The top five to start that series should (barring injuries/unavailability) be inked in as:

Sibley
Burns
Crawley
Root
Stokes

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, if Jonny Red does come back into the test reckoning it'll be as a keeper or, just conceivably, at #6 if Pope's shoulder is still effed whenever we next play.

The top five to start that series should (barring injuries/unavailability) be inked in as:

Sibley
Burns
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Agree with the above. I'd also rather Foakes come in ahead of him as keeper if it came to that and at this point would probably rather someone like Lawrence got a chance at 6 if Pope is missing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you really want an opener who can score freely that badly. juz swap Crawley and Sibley. Why would anyone want Bairstow as an opener in tests? Unless they want England to lose for the lulz, I guess...

Starfighter

Well so much for him being a pace option for the next Ashes. Not surprising if he does considering how often he gets injured, I don't think the hard pitches down here would be too good for his knees and ankles either.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit of a shame given his promising Tests in South Africa and the WIndies in recent times, but as Starfighter says it's perhaps for the best given how injury prone he is.

Makes resting Archer in Tests less likely though, so hopefully they can still manage his workload.

Pothas

the quotes were along the lines of 'thinking about it at some point in the future' rather than a definite thing. I still think he will play a part in Australia if he is fit.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
the quotes were along the lines of 'thinking about it at some point in the future' rather than a definite thing. I still think he will play a part in Australia if he is fit.
Yeah, the report I read seemed to couch it around him having a minor sook about not getting a test contract too.

Which is probably understandable given he (apparently) blew out an approach from the Mumbai Indians before the central contracts were announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...sidering-white-ball-only-career-in-the-future