• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked bmac the cricketer and the captain but head coach?

Na.
Tend to agree. I'm sure they know this and are taking the risk on an extreme candidate to try and jump start their playing group in some way. It needs something radical

Tom Flint

International Regular
Definitely some technical failings against spin - hard hands, not a wide range of strokes (over reliance on the slog sweep), use of the crease etc. Good spinners will always have the advantage, in fact, not so good off spinners like Dilruwan Perera have created plenty of problems over the years
First time I've seen anyone say there is a clear weakness for stokes against spin. Will look our for it in the future. I know he had trouble against lyon in Australia but all English players do

Chubb

International Regular
McCullum is worth a shot, but can't help feeling Vettori was the better bet, if they wanted a Kiwi.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McCullum is worth a shot, but can't help feeling Vettori was the better bet, if they wanted a Kiwi.
Because Vettori's been so successful in his other coaching endeavours, like failing to make the semi finals three of four years with a strong Brisbane lineup or coaching a star-studded RCB lineup to last, second last and third last.

For what influence you believe coaches can have over a team's success, Vettori has precious little to show - only the runners up in IPL 2016, despite generally having a strong team under him.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Tend to agree. I'm sure they know this and are taking the risk on an extreme candidate to try and jump start their playing group in some way. It needs something radical
Radicalisation????

Btw I read yesterday that he is being considered for test coach...would make more sense for him to be LO coach to be honest.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Looks like Ollie Robinson back in the always occupied England bowlers treatment room... the Broad and Anderson selection is now a definite on the basis they are the last bowlers standing!

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Radicalisation????

Btw I read yesterday that he is being considered for test coach...would make more sense for him to be LO coach to be honest.
morgan just needs someone to put the cones out tbh. mccullum really isn't needed on that side of things.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
morgan just needs someone to put the cones out tbh. mccullum really isn't needed on that side of things.
I'd be happy with BrMc looking after the limited overs coaching for a year and hope Morgan retires and moves into coaching after the next t20 WC. Not keen on Collingwood getting this role.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I'd be happy with BrMc looking after the limited overs coaching for a year and hope Morgan retires and moves into coaching after the next t20 WC. Not keen on Collingwood getting this role.
the point is Colly would legit just be the cone boy. everyone assumes rightfully that Morgan is in charge.

agree on Morgan moving into coaching. the ECB need to do whatever it takes to keep him around.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Broad, Anderson and Matty Potts to start the summer as England's seam attack? Everybody else injured.
I've heard good things about Potts, not seen him bowl myself, but theyt reckon he relishes bowling on dead pitches, likes to mix aggression with change-ups, the type of bowler we may need.

Jimmeh get's Root, guess he'll be happy about that.