• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England object to India schedule

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1605759,00.html

I hope our board (BCCI) stands firm here. Since when do we organise
venues in India based on the preferences of Barmy Army tourists -- if that were the case, the tests should be played next to the Taj Mahal or in Varanasi along the banks of the river Ganga.

India is a big country - the BCCI has a duty to promote cricket in all parts of the country - the BCCi's venue rotation policy is well known, it's not something that has just come into effect for the England series.
I think the ECB are being unreasonable and a little petulant here.
Australia played in a variety of venues on their 2001, 2-003 and 2004 trips and never complained.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit of an over-reaction to a newspaper article loaded with conjecture and supposition there, GermanShepherd.

The ECB are not being unreasonable or petulant (well, not yet anyway but give them time), because they haven't said a dickybird other than "We will be discussing it."

One thing I do agree with you on - the interests of the home side should come first, but a little consideration to the tourists (and supporters, bonkers though they might be) is called for though.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is funny to see guys like Scyld Berry and CMJ saying that the itinery is prepared to make sure that England play in turners. HELLO, In March/April even my backyard would offer turn in India. Anyways, Nagpur is known for its greentop. And more importantly, do England expect green tops to play in India? I don't know why they are complaining about playing on turners. We expect seamers in England, why do they not expect turners over here?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
It is funny to see guys like Scyld Berry and CMJ saying that the itinery is prepared to make sure that England play in turners. HELLO, In March/April even my backyard would offer turn in India. Anyways, Nagpur is known for its greentop. And more importantly, do England expect green tops to play in India? I don't know why they are complaining about playing on turners. We expect seamers in England, why do they not expect turners over here?
Too true.

One thing, though. Journalists are not the ECB

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I dont see y Nagpur isn't good enough for England...Australia played there without any complaints:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
foe said:
I dont see y Nagpur isn't good enough for England...Australia played there without any complaints:)
Who's saying it isn't?

The only mention of Nagpur comes in the second paragraph ...

"The first two Tests will be staged well off the tourist track, in Ahmedabad and Nagpur, and Goa is the only city with a reputation for tourism among the seven one-day international venues."

... and it's certainly not insinuating that it's not '...good enough for England'.

Much of the article is by and about travel agencies, bemoaning the fact that they are not going to be able to make lorryloads of cash off tourists.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Much of the article is by and about travel agencies, bemoaning the fact that they are not going to be able to make lorryloads of cash off tourists.
Well, in that case it is pretty ignorant article or has a very narrow definition of tourism.

Faridabad is just miles away from New Delhi, Cochin is part of Kerala, probably the most beautiful Indian state. Indore has a rustic charm to it and a lot of history...Cuttack is just few hours from the famous holy city of Puri which is also known for its beaches. Dont know much about Vizag (or Vishakhapattnam) other than the fact that is a industrial city.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Well, in that case it is pretty ignorant article or has a very narrow definition of tourism.

Faridabad is just miles away from New Delhi, Cochin is part of Kerala, probably the most beautiful Indian state. Indore has a rustic charm to it and a lot of history...Cuttack is just few hours from the famous holy city of Puri which is also known for its beaches. Dont know much about Vizag (or Vishakhapattnam) other than the fact that is a industrial city.
I'm not trying to defend the article, Sanz.

Just trying to point out that the ECB haven't raised any objection (that I am aware of) yet, although being the bunch of whingers they are/were over the Pakistan itinerary, I wouldn't put it past them.