• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Lions in West Indies

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Some of the pitches in the WI are just diabolical and really arent doing their own players any favours
Our two biggest problems in terms of domestic cricket development are pitches and umpiring. People often turn their nose up at some our domestic batting averages but overseas players struggle just as much when they come on A tours. If you average 40 consistently on our pitches and these umpires you're doing outstandingly well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our two biggest problems in terms of domestic cricket development are pitches and umpiring. People often turn their nose up at some our domestic batting averages but overseas players struggle just as much when they come on A tours. If you average 40 consistently on our pitches and these umpires you're doing outstandingly well.
You know there is something seriously amiss when Nikita Miller averages 16 with the ball for his career

Beamer

You know there is something seriously amiss when Nikita Miller averages 16 with the ball for his career
Veerasammy Permaul averages 21 and has 450 wickets at 28 years of age. Warrican averages 20. Cornwall 25. Jacobs 22. Imran Khan 23.

They're all decent but there is no way Miller or Permaul are world beaters. You have to select them based on their physical abilities and whether you think that matches up to International cricket. Miller and Permaul are seen as too flat in their trajectory. This is why I rate Cornwall because he has taken wickets on A tours in different conditions and gets turn and bounce.

Warrican is an accurate left arm spinner who turns the ball decently at a brisk pace, rather like Monty Panesar used to be. I struggle to understand how he is taking so many wickets against a pretty decent England Lions team. Having said that, the Lions spinners aren't doing as well as he or Cornwall so he must be doing something right.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Interesting that Crane is being used as the third spinner behind Livingstone. Why was he in Australia? Why if he is seen as a long-term test player isn't he get more overs for The Lions.

Worrying that The West Indes spinners are proving so effective against The Lions batsmen and The Lions spinners so ineffective.

SeamUp

International Coach
Are batsman not used to spin lunging at the area of the ball more than the past ? Due to LBWs and DRS or something ?

Just trying to understand young English, South African, Australian & New Zealanders struggles aingainst spin in the new batting generation.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1st Test was really close so this is quite surprising really.

Last edited:

Beamer

Well played Windies A, a win by an innings and 17 runs. Warrican with 12 wickets and Cornwall with 6 did the damage. A solid win. Hopefully the next test is played on a wicket that can test out the pacers a little bit and see if they have anything to offer.

SeamUp

International Coach
Been a bit of an odd tour.

Spate of injuries ending tours of quite a few players.

Lawrence & Livingstone. Wonder if the latter will make NZL tour. Foakes to NZL so Northeast/Davies in the XI

Crane to nzl so Bess in but Leach standing out. Positive?

TRJ probably outbowled Porter and now Mahmood/Gleeson in for last game.

Last edited:

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I believe some of the players are actually on the plane to New Zealand rather than being injured.

SeamUp

International Coach
England Lions batsmen this series

Keaton Jennings
49, 0
28, 20

Haseeb Hameed
13, 39
23, 18

Nick Gubbins
50, 20
0, 22

Joe Clarke

1 , 31
56 , 6

Liam Livingstone

21 , 1
0 , 48

Beamer

Jamal Warrican - 26 wickets at 8.57, econ 1.8
Rakheem Cornwall - 17 wickets at 17.70, econ 2.06

The new Ramadin and Valentine?

SeamUp

International Coach
The definition of not going on after a start
Basically the same thing happened in the final batting innings of the FC series.

When you have Stoneman & Vince barely hanging on to their test positions & Malan still new to the level you would have wanted these guys to put their hands up more.

Beamer

Tbh I'm not sure this series told either side much apart from Warrican beasting it so comprehensively.

England young players struggle against spin overseas - already knew
There are some decent FC level spinners in the Caribbean - already knew
Cornwall is an exceptional cricketer, it's just his weight keeping him out of international cricket - already knew
Some of the pacers on both sides looked half decent but didn't get enough overs to really test them. I suspect our team touring England would result in the scorecards being the other way around.
Englands spinners looked ok but nowhere near as good as Cornwall are Warrican - I suspected this anyway, but guess it has been confirmation
Dowrich can bat, he needs to get his head right for tests though.
Hamilton is a very decent back up wicket keeper option.
Neither sides had opening batsmen really worthy of the name - already knew

Basically Windies A won because the spinners were better and because Hamilton and Dowrich came up with crucial knocks. We're no closer to finding a decent opening batsman to partner KB and we didn't learn anything about our pacers.

I don't think England discovered anything apart from they have a whole bunch of second stringers who aren't ready, particularly if the conditions are slow and low.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Tbh I'm not sure this series told either side much apart from Warrican beasting it so comprehensively.

England young players struggle against spin overseas - already knew
There are some decent FC level spinners in the Caribbean - already knew
Cornwall is an exceptional cricketer, it's just his weight keeping him out of international cricket - already knew
Some of the pacers on both sides looked half decent but didn't get enough overs to really test them. I suspect our team touring England would result in the scorecards being the other way around.
Englands spinners looked ok but nowhere near as good as Cornwall are Warrican - I suspected this anyway, but guess it has been confirmation
Dowrich can bat, he needs to get his head right for tests though.
Hamilton is a very decent back up wicket keeper option.
Neither sides had opening batsmen really worthy of the name - already knew

Basically Windies A won because the spinners were better and because Hamilton and Dowrich came up with crucial knocks. We're no closer to finding a decent opening batsman to partner KB and we didn't learn anything about our pacers.

I don't think England discovered anything apart from they have a whole bunch of second stringers who aren't ready, particularly if the conditions are slow and low.
Pretty much agree with all of that. From an English perspective Leach comes out with some credit, although he didn't take wickets at the key times to influence results. Crane failed to achieve much. Livingstone showed some potential to pressure Ali for a slot as a batsman who can give a team 10 to 15 overs of spin in a day if needed. The rest really a disappointment.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Has Cornwell had his action checked. There is definite flection at the start of his delivery but it may be less than 15 degrees. Thought the live coverage by the West Indes board was excellent, timings were ideal in the third teat for breakfast on a working trip to Thailand.

Both the West Indes spinners seemed relatively quick which might give an indication of the pace to bowl on the current Caribbean wickets.

Beamer

Has Cornwell had his action checked. There is definite flection at the start of his delivery but it may be less than 15 degrees. Thought the live coverage by the West Indes board was excellent, timings were ideal in the third teat for breakfast on a working trip to Thailand.

Both the West Indes spinners seemed relatively quick which might give an indication of the pace to bowl on the current Caribbean wickets.
I've seen him bowl a lot and never thought there was a problem to be honest. He has played about 5/6 A tours and been on TV a number of times so hopefully it's just an illusion.

R.E pace to bowl I think quick spin is the way forward on a lot of our pitches. They are slow so you want everything to happen quickly enough to defeat the batsman.

SeamUp

International Coach
Windies A beat Lions by 5 runs in 1st 50-over game

Lions debutant Sam Hain with 144 off 121 but amazingly was involved in a 102 run 10th wicket partnership before being caught on the boundary.