• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Lions & England Tour Game in Perth

SeamUp

International Coach
Lions played a 50-over game today. T20 tomorrow.

England tour game on the weekend. No Jennings here.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/531328

Lions 282/9

Ben Duckett 9 (13)
Joe Clarke 13 (24)
Nick Gubbins 38 (44)
Dan Lawrence 35 (37)
Liam Livingstone 19
Alex Davies 17
Paul Coughlin 64 (49)
Mark Wood 51 (52)
George Garton 17* (16)
Amar Virdi 3
Saq Mahmood

WA XI 283/4

Clint Hinchcliffe 131 (119)
Calum How 80*

stand-out
Wood 10 2-56
Mahmood 8 1-48
Paul Coughlin 8 0-35
George Garton 1 wicket
Amar Virdi 7 0-47

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Be interested to know how Wood bowled, what his fitness was like and what pace he was bowling at? Can’t imagine his fitness would be at a level where he can reach his slippery pace and maintain that through a Test match. If Perth’s going to be flat we’re going to need some variation in our attack from somewhere.

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly the Freemantle really stepped in but yeah it would be nice to know more about Wood's pace.

EnglandXI squad for weekend named. Can be split to England starter, England reserves & England Lions

Moeen Ali (c)

Gary Ballance
Ben Foakes
Mason Crane
Tom Curran
Jake Ball

Ben Duckett
Keaton Jennings
Dan Lawrence
Liam Livingstone
Jack Leach
Mark Wood

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, is Saj Mahmood still a thing?
Haha, Saj is retired for 3 years. I must admit when the new guy Saqib appeared on the scene I had to look him up to check he hadn't had a rebirth but this lad is there as one for the future and only really there to enhance his learning. Only played a handful of games for Lancashire but did well in under 19 world cup so have no issue with fast tracking a player who has starred in that to the Lions.

Burgey

Is that Mills bloke who bowls as fast as anyone I’ve seen in T20s not fit? If he was he’d be a crazy left-field pick for perth that might come off.

Woodster

International Captain
Is that Mills bloke who bowls as fast as anyone I’ve seen in T20s not fit? If he was he’d be a crazy left-field pick for perth that might come off.
No he doesn't even play first-class cricket anymore due to his back condition. A real shame becuase as you say, he has genuine pace, and would be a real handful but unfortunately only for about a two over burst!

SeamUp

International Coach
For obvious reasons they went Jennings but the easy pick could have been Gubbins to open with him but glad they went for the positive Duckett. Think he has a good technique and can play all round and scores quickly naturally. Of course he has to get things right between the ears and what goes into his belly.

The rest picked itself.

If Jamie Overton was fit he would come into this side pushing the incumbents. His record has been very good the last 2 seasons considering the pitches he plays on. In fact I think it is under-realised. Just about staying on the park and playing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Lions beat WA XI by 9 wickets today. They now play a series of games against the scorchers.

Joe Clarke fired England Lions to a convincing nine-wicket win against a Western Australia XI in the first of four T20 fixtures that will complete their four-week training camp.

The Worcestershire batsman relished the chance to open with Ben Duckett, smashing an unbeaten 92 from 51 balls as the Lions cruised past a WA total of 156 for five with nine wickets and seven balls to spare at the Murdoch University ground.

Clarke hit 13 fours and three sixes, and received good support from Duckett’s 38 off 39 balls, and then from Essex’s Dan Lawrence, who ended with 28 not out from 23 in his first captain’s innings for the Lions – having been appointed to lead the team for the first time.

The foundations of the win were laid by an excellent bowling and fielding performance.

Jack Leach, one of six Lions players who will play for an England XI in their two-day match against a Cricket Australia XI this weekend, bowled the first over – and both he and his fellow Somerset spinner Dom Bess impressed, with Bess conceding only 15 from three overs.

There were three wickets for new Nottinghamshire signing Paul Coughlin, continuing his good form in Perth, and Lancashire’s Saqib Mahmood claimed the important wicket of WA wicketkeeper Calum How.

“We were a bit rusty in the 50-over game we played against WA the other day, but today was a much better performance,” said Lions and England batting coach Graham Thorpe.

“I thought we bowled very well, recognising the need to take pace off the ball, and delivering to the right place.

“Then Clarkey came out and timed the ball really well. He’s opened for Worcestershire in T20 cricket and it’s good to be able to give the guys the chance to play where they do for their counties. And it was good to see him there at the end – that’s something we try to drill into the lads.

“Dan Lawrence was probably a bit surprised to be asked to captain, but Andy Flower likes to share it around – and I thought he did really well. As with Liam Livingstone the other day, it’s good that the guys want to do it when they’re given the chance, and Dan showed good decisiveness out in the field.

“Then he came in and took us home with Clarkey – he’s played well out here, and I think he’ll have got a lot out of the trip.”

The Lions’ remaining T20 matches will all be against the Perth Scorchers, as Justin Langer’s squad prepare for the Big Bash – the first two at the new 55,000-capacity Perth Stadium.

“It’s going to be interesting having a look at the new stadium, because I’m back out here with England for the one-day series after Christmas and we play Australia there,” added Thorpe.

“The Scorchers will be good opposition, as the Western Australia lads have been for the last two days to be fair. All the boys are looking forward to it.”

Woodster

International Captain
Pleased for Joe Clarke, seems he scores runs whenever he steps up, glad he’s going to play in Division One next season, another test for him as he continues his impressive development.

flibbertyjibber

Pleased for Joe Clarke, seems he scores runs whenever he steps up, glad he’s going to play in Division One next season, another test for him as he continues his impressive development.
Might not play much in Division One as may well find himself in the test side next summer.

Once we have lost this series I can see a couple of slots in the batting becoming available again possibly for New Zealand and then certainly by the summer.

Woodster

International Captain
Might not play much in Division One as may well find himself in the test side next summer.

Once we have lost this series I can see a couple of slots in the batting becoming available again possibly for New Zealand and then certainly by the summer.
Quite possibly but I do hope we don’t rush youngsters that aren’t ready into the side just because of the shortfalls in the team at the moment. I mean I’m sure there’s a few different schools of thought on this, one could be why not throw them in and persevere with them or wait and let them prove themselves in the CC, this is where talent spotting is crucial, choose the right players with the right attributes and attitude and stick with them but they have to be ready for international cricket.

Daniel Lawrence at Essex has shown some fantastic qualities for one so young, he batted all day to save a game for Essex early in in the CC last season against Lancashire with Jimmy Anderson, but I certainly hope he doesn’t get thrown in just yet.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England won't be getting much decent practice here. Buchanan is bowling utter, utter rubbish.

Look forward to seeing Curran and Leach have a go tomorrow.