• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 'A' in the UAE etc

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
superkingdave said:
Looking at some of Sri Lanka's players their batting doesn't look that strong, the team doesn't contain any players with a FC average over 35, compared to Bell, Shah, Prior, Powell, Solanki, Cook, heck even Rikki Clarke in the England squad
Pitches in Sri Lanka are mostly beyond poor, though - note the way Ranjith averages 18 with the ball yet hasn't been near the international team. Add to that that they play 3-day matches in their FC games, which isn't exactly conducive to building good innings when over rates are as slow as they are today.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yup, i have noticed that, but you would have though at least one would be averaging over 35 if they were pushing for an international spot, most of the test team have 40 plus FC averages.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Bell with a century - hoping to see him in the Tests against Bangladesh, but as people have said, I'd prefer to be playing better opposition ahead of the Ashes, but it'll do. Havent heard anything of Charitha Bandara for ages (apart from he's a legend on ICC) - has he been anywhere near the Test team? Anyone know?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
I'm still inclined Bell over Pietersen, though i don't know why. I wish we played SA instead of Bangladesh in april with kp and bell because we won't learn much from playing the tigers, will still be a stab in the dark for the ashes.
If it is down to these two, the Bell for Tests and Pietersen in ODIs.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Tom .I like your avator who do you support. Gunner like me or have you joined the Chelski revolution

twctopcat

International Regular
SpeedKing said:
Tom .I like your avator who do you support. Gunner like me or have you joined the Chelski revolution
Me or Halsey? The same for both, the team formerly known as Newton Heath.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
I'm still inclined Bell over Pietersen, though i don't know why.
I must say I still am as well, because I'm unsure as to how Pietersen will go in the long form of the game.

He'll either be a massive success or a huge disappointment, but I wouldn't like to wager which!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
think the fact that he averages over 37 with the bat suggests where his strengths lie
Well, with a face like his, it can't be as a male model, so what career should he be in? :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
I must say I still am as well, because I'm unsure as to how Pietersen will go in the long form of the game.

He'll either be a massive success or a huge disappointment, but I wouldn't like to wager which!
To be fair to the big fella he averages over 54 in FC cricket, over 10 runs more than IRB.

Bell had an extremely productive 2004 & has certainly the more classic technique of the two, but KP has been the model of consistency for Notts for the past 4 years. KP has a wristy technique & goes aerial maybe more than is sometimes prudent early in his innings, but I think Gilly has proved (to most reasonable observers anyway!) that you can play your shots & still be v effective in tests.

Against Bangladesh I don't think it would actually be too fanciful to see both Bell & Pietersen playing. Fred certainly won't be risked. The only other option I see would be Collingwood & he's extremely unlikely to feature in The Ashes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not so sure that if Pietersen tries to score at the rate that he does in FC Cricket that he'll come off in Tests.

I have actually been saying that for at least 12 months (although I will point out I said that for my money he should walk straight into the ODI side when available)

twctopcat

International Regular
A good performance from Prior and Bell again to take us past 400. Mahmood seems to bowling well to get 3 wickets too on usually lifeless pitches, think he will be a big player for England in the future.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Yeah, but when mahmood played for the full england side he was crap. Whereas bell has already made a name for himself. the "a" team is full of rejects. Dawson, Shah, Mahmood etc.

twctopcat

International Regular
12th Man said:
Yeah, but when mahmood played for the full england side he was crap. Whereas bell has already made a name for himself. the "a" team is full of rejects. Dawson, Shah, Mahmood etc.
Mahmood is 23 and notice the word "future" in my statement, jeez.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
12th Man said:
Same amount of rejects in Sri Lankan A team:
- Gunawardene, P.Jayawardene, Bandara and Thurshara

Another traditional Sri Lanka A performance with the bat too many starts but not enough guys scoring big scores. Hopefully Bandara and Wijekoon can get a big partnership tommorow and get us back in the game but it is unlikely though, but u never know.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Same amount of rejects in Sri Lankan A team:
- Gunawardene, P.Jayawardene, Bandara and Thurshara

Another traditional Sri Lanka A performance with the bat too many starts but not enough guys scoring big scores. Hopefully Bandara and Wijekoon can get a big partnership tommorow and get us back in the game but it is unlikely though, but u never know.
Bandara seems a blast from the past. Thushara and Prasanna are not too bad and were unlucky to miss out.

twctopcat

International Regular
12th Man said:
i suppose, but he's not been brilliant in county cricket either
Agreed but he's only had 19 FC matches, so judge him at the end of next season if he gets a full one at lancashire. Thankfully the academy seem to have more insight than you and have obviously spotted something in him that can be developed for the future.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Bandara seems a blast from the past. Thushara and Prasanna are not too bad and were unlucky to miss out.
Thurshara and Prasanna not too bad are u serious, Thurshara has next to no accuracy and Prasanna couldn't hold a bat to save himself.