• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

End of the road for Bell?

Time to say Bye Bell?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I have to admit I didn't read the thread or notice who started it when I used it to post about his retirement. It just seemed an apt title and then an actual retirement thread could be started when he's played his last game.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hindsight talking of course.........but this thread was a ****ing train wreck start to nearly finish lol

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Bell has decided it is the end of the road at the end of this season by announcing his retirement. I must admit when he was first selected I didn’t see the Test career he eventually had coming at all. Fair play to him and I wish him a happy retirement.
Likewise. His 2103 Ashes series is easily forgotten by too many folks, but we'd have lost it without his contributions. And not many English batsmen have hit three hundreds in a single Ashes series, so he's in pretty decent company.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hindsight talking of course.........but this thread was a ****ing train wreck start to nearly finish lol
I'm happy enough with my post which more or less said "he should be dropped but I'm a fan and he should be back soon". Playing at the time wasn't doing him or the team any good really; he had the batting equivalent of the yips on that tour.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was the thread started looking for a scapegoat after the 51 a.o. loss in the Caribbean?

EDIT : Turns out he did get dropped for the series after that match

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Likewise. His 2103 Ashes series is easily forgotten by too many folks, but we'd have lost it without his contributions. And not many English batsmen have hit three hundreds in a single Ashes series, so he's in pretty decent company.
I think the 2013 series would be better remembered if it wasn't for the return Ashes in Oz happening just a few months later which was obviously far more consequential. I thought the 2013 series was excellent in its own right and you're not overstating it when you say England would have lost a series which they won 3-0 if it wasn't for Bell. All 3 wins were built on Bell centuries, 2 of which came from losing positions when he came out to bat. The finest hour for a very good batsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm happy enough with my post which more or less said "he should be dropped but I'm a fan and he should be back soon". Playing at the time wasn't doing him or the team any good really; he had the batting equivalent of the yips on that tour.
Was the thread started looking for a scapegoat after the 51 a.o. loss in the Caribbean?

EDIT : Turns out he did get dropped for the series after that match
Yeah, looking back without context makes some of the posts here look worse than they probably were.

I at least had the foresightedness to show my workings in calling for his head.

But a great servant to England. Definitely underrated generally.