• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant Universe

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Has anyone watched this?

It does an awesome job of explaining modern physics that's very easy to understand (and with a lot of special effects). Has anyone else watched it?

I have some issues with String Theory, but the program is extremely well done.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, our physics lecturer showed it to us in first year. I found it very interesting, and most concepts were easy enough to understand and well-illustrated. I didn't know it was available online, might watch some parts again now :)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I actually had the entire series downloaded onto my HDD last year. Unfortunately the disk crashed before I was halfway through it. It did a good job of simplifying the concepts involved.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pretty much. It hasn't made a single prediction that has not been made by existing theories. When asked to make a prediction, they give scenarios so far beyond our current technological capabilities, that proof is doubtful to ever come by. If you don't make predictions that can be tested, it's not a valid theory.

It certainly could be true, and the math is extremely elegant. In fact, I'd say it's probably very true, but it's still a hypothesis, not a theory. I don't have a PhD in math, and even I could come up with elegant looking equations that tie things together, but that doesn't mean they have a basis in reality. Math is deductive, most of science is inductive. You can come up with equations using deduction, but then they have to match the data, and if they don't, your deduction is based on faulty assumptions, and you must go back.

Not implying String Theory is like that, but until it makes testable predictions, a lot of intellectual horsepower might be going to waste (all new Theoretical Physics PhD's pretty much focus on it these days).