• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Economical Bowlers

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A agree. Trying to "standardise" career statistics based on an era is a futile exercise. We just have to accept that different eras produced different peaks and troughs. These peaks and troughs are due to a variety of factors as I noted in my opening post. If we want a level playing field when discussing players from a certain era, it can only be achieved by looking at players from that particular era.

Carrying the "standardisation" theory to its extreme, do we adjust batting averages so that Bradman can be compared to greats from another era?
Yes. :p

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rmR0F6hmKyJEiX9AdbRJyxqnl8WU_sZvK5SbDe109OA/edit#gid=0

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Smith's ranking should not have gone down in that list. How rigorous was your standardisation?
Haha come on, everyone knows modern Australian pitches are ****ing batting h4x.

He'd have gone up that list a bit since that update I'm sure, but still. I don't want to derail this thread too much given it's so far removed from economical bowling so feel free to bump another one, but Smith being roughly as good as or just slightly better than Kohli is absolutely something I stand by. It's also why I think Haze, Starc and Cummins are absolute guns.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's Smith's exploits in England and India that should rate him higher. And it's only really Sydney and Melbourne that have been roads for the last few years. Three WACA has been a mixture of road and challenging. The new Perth stadium had advantaged the bowlers so far. His ashes Gabba hundred was on a difficult pitch and Adelaide has had plenty on offer for the bowlers since the renovations.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ambrose and Pollock had great economy rates for someone who played until 2000 and beyond. 2 fabulous misers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ambrose didn't play past 00 and economy rates only really started going crazy post 2000. In the 90s the average strike rate was roughly 75 from memory.