• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB scrap plans for new Twenty20 competition

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah for sure, but I think the T20 Cup & ODIs are deliberately staged at the same time currently. Which therefore won't happen with a spread out T20.

Not a big issue anyway, we'll see. Might well see that players don't fit in an extra FC game anyhow

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah for sure, but I think the T20 Cup & ODIs are deliberately staged at the same time currently. Which therefore won't happen with a spread out T20.
Not entirely sure it is TBH, the ODI schedule has changed just about every year since 1998 when the old Texaco Trophy breathed its last. Although TBF I think 2000 and 2001 were pretty much the same.
Not a big issue anyway, we'll see. Might well see that players don't fit in an extra FC game anyhow
What I wish is that they could fit in 2-3 more games per season. And that there wasn't such a ridiculous amount of crossover between Test and ODI players.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Since the tri-series was stopped the ODI series has been at the same time every year except for this year when we had the T20 WC instead tbh

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was the same time pretty much when we did have the tri-series too TBH. But as I say, that's just the way it worked-out, it's not via planning that way I don't think.

Ergo:
In 2000 and 2001, the pattern was two-Test-series, ODI tri-series of 10 matches, five-Test-series;
In 2003 and 2005, it was two-Test-series, ODI tri-series of 10 matches, three-match bilateral ODI series, five-Test-series;
In 2002 it was three-Test-series, ODI tri-series of 10 matches, four-Test-series;
In 2004 it was three-Test-series, ODI tri-series of 10 matches, four-Test-series, three-match bilateral ODI series, Champions Trophy;
In 2006 and 2008 it was three-Test-series, five-match bilateral ODI series, four-Test-series, five-match bilateral ODI series;
In 2007 it was four-Test-series, three-match bilateral ODI series, three-Test-series, seven-match bilateral ODI series;
In 2009 it's two-Test series, three-match bilateral ODI series, Twenty20 World thingy, five-Test-series, seven-match bilateral ODI series.

No three summers have ever been the same, and only once have two consecutive ones been so. I don't think there's any specific planning to have any one thing in one place TBH. Though I really rather wish there was. I wish ODIs were always midsummer, I hate this latest fad for September ODIs (though it does at least mean there's some point to playing day\night ODIs in England). And I also hate the way there's just more and more every summer. Ideally, the international summer would run from mid-May to late-August.

Of the above templates (there's no way we're going back to the 1998-and-before pattern, and nor do I wish to see that happen) the one I liked best was 2001. Just one set of back-to-back Tests, ten ODIs, and seven Tests. Would still be perfectly workable.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, yeah, but never more than a couple per season - and I honestly don't even have a clue when they were played or what happened, except in the 2005 one because I watched that with some interest due to it being an Ashes tour opener.

brockley

International Captain
So the test series against bangladesh is going ahead,may?
Last time i heard the ECB was trying to get out of it.:-O

stumpski

International Captain
No I think they were always going to play the 2010 series - it would be hard to see how they could get out of it tbh - it was subsequent tours by and to Bangladesh that are thought to be in jeopardy. Although again, I can't see how England can simply refuse to play against them without incurring sanctions from the ICC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They obviously can't - they'd need to find some way of wangling it at the ICC to have Bangladesh downgraded somewhat. Obviously, this has always been for the best for cricket, but there's been all sorts of resistance to it for all sorts of reasons, inside Bangladesh and out.

You'd imagine that now they've defeated West Indies C we'll not be hearing the last of how they're improving for at least 3 years now though. 8-)

Last edited: