• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dwayne Smith

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ODI batting average of 18.71 before his ****house innings today.

Where does he rank in the history of spuds to play in a major 8 World Cup team? Gotta be up there.

Niall

International Coach
ODI batting average of 18.71 before his ****house innings today.

Where does he rank in the history of spuds to play in a major 8 World Cup team? Gotta be up there.
Love the IPL myself, but the fact he is such a gun in it, really doesn't help its street cred.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Given he has WI's best bat -- Lendl Simmons -- stuck down at #6 and he doesn't bowl any more, he seems completely useless.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Between his recall and when they named the WC squad he'd actually done okay (averaged low-mid 30s with a gun strike rate) and he'd done really well in T20s too, so I can see why they picked him. It wasn't as stupid as his numbers suggest given he spent so much of his career playing as a bowling allrounder batting 6-8 to rack up those overall bad numbers. He's completely sucked again since they named the squad though so he really should've been dropped a while ago now tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His average flatters him :ph34r:

Dinesh Mongia was another incredibly mediocre WC player from India's team in 2003.

Name some others.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Is this a World Cup Spud XI? If so, I'm drafting Wayne Parnell into the XI.

1. Dwayne Smith (6)
6. Dinesh Mongia (5)
8. Wayne Parnell (4)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne Parnell is the opposite of Sammy. Sounds terrible, looks decent. But same results, probably worse in ODIs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Is this a World Cup Spud XI? If so, I'm drafting Wayne Parnell into the XI.

1. Dwayne Smith (2015) [7]
2. Wajahatullah Wasti (1999)
3. Jehan Mubarak (2003)
4. Vincent Wells (1999)
5. Dinesh Mongia (2003) [6]
6. Ronnie Irani (2003) [4]
7. Jamie Dalrymple (2007) [5]
8. Lee Germon (1996) * +
9. Wayne Parnell (2015) [2]
10. Jason Krejza (2011) [3]
11. Sajid Mahmood (2007) [1]
Additional nominees included, with World Cups bracketed. There's undoubtedly more from the earlier World Cups but I cbf after getting a functioning XI.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Additional nominees included, with World Cups bracketed. There's undoubtedly more from the earlier World Cups but I cbf after getting a functioning XI.

For his ability and overall performance vs WC performance Nathan Astle sadly has to be considered.

Also Lee Germon (for all his faults played a pretty special innings in combination with Vhris Harris ih 96

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Debashish Mohanty(1999)
Devon Smith(2007)
Eric Upashantha(1999)

Maybe there are some more especially from the 99 edition of the WC,cant remember.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
no. You can't say batting lower affected his batting when its used as to reasons why Dhoni has a great average.

He. Is. ****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
no. You can't say batting lower affected his batting when its used as to reasons why Dhoni has a great average.

He. Is. ****.
It isn't batting position it's career progression. Before 2008 he was a James Franklin esque bowling all rounder. Since 2010 he reinvented his entire game to be a James Franklin esque batting all rounder.