• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dumb rule gets obvious fix

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The unprecedented conclusion to the 2019 men's World Cup final has prompted an ICC rule change, putting an end to boundary countback as a way of deciding knockout games.

After board meetings in Dubai, the ICC resolved that in semi-finals and finals in future world tournaments, if the teams score the same number of runs in their Super Overs, the Super Over will be repeated until one team wins.

Had the new rules been in place for the 2019 final, England and New Zealand would have played another Super Over, rather than the game being decided on the technicality of England having scored more boundaries over the course of the final.

An ICC statement said that the change was "in keeping with the basic principle of scoring more runs than the opponent to win," and added that both its cricket committee and the chief executives' committee agreed the Super Over represented an "exciting and engaging conclusion" to a game.

The Super Over will also now be in place for every game in both 20-over and 50-over World Cups, having previously only applied in the knockout stages.

In the group stages of a tournament, if a Super Over is tied then the match result will be logged as a tie.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27844486/no-more-boundary-countback-icc-change-super-regulations

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Super Over will also now be in place for every game in both 20-over and 50-over World Cups, having previously only applied in the knockout stages.
I'm not sure this was necessary at all. A tie is fine unless it's a knockout or a final IMO.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Giving title to the team that was ranked higher in league stage would have worked just fine. Although that might not help if the finalists were from 2 different groups in league stages in a multi-group format.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ugh. If at the end of the pre-determined contest (50 overs per side), both team are equal, it's a tie. There's no need for any tie-breakers, the result stands as it should.

Eng and NZ were joint WC2019 winners. The rest of it is bull**** and farce.

Burgey

Nah, you want a result in a KO game, and the super over is perfect for that. A draw in a final is like kissing your sister.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You clearly need a tie-breaker. It’s all very well sharing the trophy, but how do you share a quarter-final or semi-final?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ugh. If at the end of the pre-determined contest (50 overs per side), both team are equal, it's a tie. There's no need for any tie-breakers, the result stands as it should.

Eng and NZ were joint WC2019 winners. The rest of it is bull**** and farce.
Oh bore off.

Burgey

Red Hill is, of course, correct though as regards the result of the WC final. Basically England had one of their biggest ever cricketing summers, and the best they could do in the test and LO centerpieces was a draw on their own soil. Very poor return on investment, I'd have thought.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Logical move.

Silly to say we'd had another super over if this rule was in place in the final though. If this rule was in place, we'd have gone into the final over knowing we needed a dot ball rather than giving up the single.

I mean I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened. Just irks me when people seem to think that making a fundamental change would result in the same outcome when both teams know the rule at the time of the super over.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought they'd try to hide their shame by doing this in a year or two hidden among other arbitrary rule changes.Fairly telling indictment when they do it 3 months later.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Logical move.

Silly to say we'd had another super over if this rule was in place in the final though. If this rule was in place, we'd have gone into the final over knowing we needed a dot ball rather than giving up the single.

I mean I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened. Just irks me when people seem to think that making a fundamental change would result in the same outcome when both teams know the rule at the time of the super over.

Yeah, if this rule had been in place, there's no way the game would've gone to a second super over.

Guptill would've smoked the last ball for 6 and everyone would've sighed in relief that Stokes' double-hit 6 didn't ruin a deserved NZ win. :p

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the idea of super overs in any 50 over game in theory. I've always thought ties made sense in sports where they were common, like soccer. But in cricket since they're nearly a once a year event they can really mess up a points table I think - except with so many rain interrupted matches it may not be that glaring

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Giving title to the team that was ranked higher in league stage would have worked just fine. Although that might not help if the finalists were from 2 different groups in league stages in a multi-group format.
Regardless it works fine in the current WC format, and this is my preferred option. Super over favours the team that bats second too much in ODI's