• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft Concept - Running out of Players

cnerd123

likes this
We start with a list of 200 cricketers

Drafters then have to select the best squad of 15 they can for a Test series not including any of the 200 on that list.

After the first season of the draft is done, all the players that were selected in the first season will be added onto the original list of 200.

The second season then starts with this new list

Players who have never played Test cricket before can be selected. My hope is that we run this for a few seasons and get to the stage where we're picking random club cricketers to round out the XI. Could be a lot of fun then, rather than seeing the same familiar ATG players being mixed up into different combinations

Any interest?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its similar to what I sort of wanted with my world game when we got to the world X team or whatever.

The one potential issue I have for this is whats the point? Like what happens after the 200 i pick a no name in my next team? What do i loss/gain for doing this? Also how do we work out the 200.

I do like the idea of lesser names getting listed

cnerd123

likes this
Its similar to what I sort of wanted with my world game when we got to the world X team or whatever.

The one potential issue I have for this is whats the point? Like what happens after the 200 i pick a no name in my next team? What do i loss/gain for doing this? Also how do we work out the 200.

I do like the idea of lesser names getting listed
What's the point of anything nufan

I think we'll get some good lols once we get to 500+ cricketers or so eliminated. Plus it's just a great exercise for learning about lesser known players throughout history

All you can win are internet points and knowledge

I'd probably go about doing this by eliminating the top 100 run scorers, wicket takers, and maybe the top 50 catchers that haven't already been eliminated. So something between 200-250 players out of running just like that

Teuton

International Captain
I don't fully get it yet but can't say no to a draft.

Do we vote at some point(s)?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh so there is a point (a vote) thats what I was wondering. Any chance all the draftees can just post an XI and those players be banned? Then we start your seasons.

Im in if so

cnerd123

likes this
Oh so there is a point (a vote) thats what I was wondering. Any chance all the draftees can just post an XI and those players be banned? Then we start your seasons.

Im in if so
Hmm so we start with 200, and then all participants draft an XI outside of that 200, I ban all those players too, and then we proceed with the actual competition?

I'm fine with that.

I also want to have people a squad of 15 rather than a team of XI. A squad means you can cover all bases for all sets of conditions, and also gets more players out of the game quicker for future seasons.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well I was thinking depending on numbers we could create a team/squad which would count as part of the 200. So if there are 13 of us and squads of 15 wed be up to 195.

Im only saying this because the top 200 you select wont be the best 200 cricketers ever. Maybe you dont mind?

My way it would just be first in best dress and we all have a chance to name a squad then start. Its not a massive deal ive come across a bit bossy so far in this thread.

cnerd123

likes this
Wouldn't we have to do a whole draft just to get the first set of eliminated players then? Because if each person names 15 off the bat, there could be a lot of overlapping, and we'll probably end up with only 50 unique names instead of a few hundred.

I want to fast forward things and go straight to having all the most popular draft players eliminated already. 200 isn't a fixed number. Like I said, I'll probably take the Top 100 run scorers, then the top 100 wicket takers, and then the top 50 catches (or stumpings, to make it more interesting). There is going to be some overlap in those names, so I might end up with like 203 unique names or something. Not necessarily the 'best' players, sure, but it's enough quality taken out of the draft that it makes Season 1 interesting. And Season 1 will see all the leftover quality players get picked, which means Seasons 2 and 3 will be where things get difficult.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was just thinking first come first serve so no overlap but happy with whatever.

Im in btw.

cnerd123

likes this
Let's see if we can get around 8 people interested and I'll give it a go

ATM the interested list is:

1) Teuton
2) Michaelf77777x
3) NUFAN
4) Mr Mister?
5) PEWS?
6)
7)
8)

Teuton

International Captain
Include yourself?

and PEWS and mister looked pretty unambiguous ins.

There's got to be a few other draft regulars with interest in going deep into the player pool too.....

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldn't we have to do a whole draft just to get the first set of eliminated players then?
I'm kind of fine with this. We could make Season 1 a free for all where we just do a normal draft, then move onto Season 2 immediately.

I'm largely fine either way though really. If you want to just exclude a bunch yourself that's cool too. I'm definitely in either way.