• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic Cricket Draft

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll give a known example, Andrew Symonds. I think we could allow him to be picked as an English player as he was born there, but thats as far back as I reckon we should allow.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But he wouldn't be eligible for Croatia because he's played for Australia.

He'd have to have a Croatian passport in order for the Kolpak ruling to apply. His parents' nationality (whilst not entirely irrelevant) doesn't matter. It would depend solely on the legalities in Croatia as to whether or not he could get a Croatian passport through their place of birth - not to mention they may have renownced their citizenship in order to become Australian citizens.

Too many grey areas in allowing players like this, in my opinion. If a player has played for another country, you can't say he's from the country of his ancestry. I would give other examples, but don't want to give too much away, obviously.
There is no reason why he can’t still play for Croatia at the end of his career after playing for Australia. There is plenty of examples of players going from one country to another due to ancestry and duel passports.

The rules that domestic cricket is played under means there is plenty of grey areas which allows players to play for one country one year and then domestic cricket under another country the next year.

That is the rules that domestic cricket is played under. They might not be right, but that’s how things are played. Blame county cricket for allowing all these grey areas. End of day these things happen all the time in both domestic and international cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'll give a known example, Andrew Symonds. I think we could allow him to be picked as an English player as he was born there, but thats as far back as I reckon we should allow.
For mine he would play for West Indies, England or Australia. He as much West Indian as Nash.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless you know Croatian Immigration policy, you can't say that for sure. That's the trouble. Whilst some countries give out passports to those who have other citizenships based purely on their parentage, other countries do not afford this luxury.

Unless Katich already has a Croatian passport, or you're an expert on Croatian law I disagree with what you've said.

If he has a Croatian passport, then I think your case is more supportable.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Unless you know Croatian Immigration policy, you can't say that for sure. That's the trouble. Whilst some countries give out passports to those who have other citizenships based purely on their parentage, other countries do not afford this luxury.

Unless Katich already has a Croatian passport, or you're an expert on Croatian law I disagree with what you've said.

If he has a Croatian passport, then I think your case is more supportable.
Well Croatia top three players (Jeff Grzinić, Phillip Šiljeg and Pero Kastelan) all went over as Australian citizens and at least one of them only had Australian citizens before he went over there, can’t remember which one though. All were allowed to play for Croatia once they got their passports finalised due to their family ties. Croatian cricket team make a big song a dance about how their whole side has Croatian blood. But many of them prior to playing for them, had other passports, but were allowed to play for them due to family ties. There is plenty of precedent for players in similar situation as Katich playing for Croatia, just have to look at their side.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeh pretty much don't care now, if you want Katich as Croatian and other people are going to go to lengths to determine where players parents were born then they will end up with far better sides than I will have.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman (Lichtenstein)

On the basis that if he was born 50 years later and spent 4 years qualifying then he could have represented them in Division 14 of the Euro Indoor League.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman (Lichtenstein)

On the basis that if he was born 50 years later and spent 4 years qualifying then he could have represented them in Division 14 of the Euro Indoor League.
First problem Lichtenstein don't play cricket. ;)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a rule where the player has actually played for a first class side in that country might need to be added - Katich from Croatia is ridiculous.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a rule where the player has actually played for a first class side in that country might need to be added - Katich from Croatia is ridiculous.
Nah - unless you count playing for a country as first class - otherwise ten Doeschate wouldn't count. So... You either have to have played for a country or currently be eligible to play for that country.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It wouldn't actually work as there only 11 countries with first class comps and you need 12 countries anyway.