• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic Contracts.

anzac

International Debutant
as I said in another thread - I think the selectors may have become a bit gun shy at blooding new talent as a result of their recent debutants having struggled. Further names to add to the list would be Franklin, McCullum & Bell.

At the begining of the VB series with Oz & SA Franklin was being talked of as the future replacement for Cairns in the all rounder position - and now?????? The partnership between Bell & Richardson was the most consistant / successful for a decade and the current Richardson / Vincent partnership has yet to eclipse it. Was McCullum opening bat in Limited overs b4 his debut?

The thing I am most curious about is what do they do with these players once they have 'failed' when introduced and have been dropped? Do they work with the player to help them re find the talent / skill that warranted their initial call up? or is it left to the player & their provincial coaches to pick up the pieces?

Its a hell of a big step from a few provincial games to International duty, and then back again. IMO some of these 'failures' are suffering because they may lack consistant quality opposition to draw the best out of them, and also lack the maturity to be able to deal with it.

I cite the length of time it has taken the likes of Oram & Tuffey to 'get back on track' so to speak.

nibbs

International Captain
McCullum was thrust into the big time, way to early. Its going to be a while before he rediscovers his confidence. I think the same with Franklin...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
richard jones

I think he plays for Wellington and bowls pace...
He has only ever bowled one ball at first class or OD cricket... And he got a wicket with it.

I think it was good to see him there however I would have prefered someone like Craig Cumming or Tim McIntosh. WOuld have liked to see him play debut.