• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Javagal Srinath Warrants a Spot in an Indian All-Time ODI Team?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No. Three out of Bumrah, Shami, Zaheer and Kapil will take fast bowlers spots. Two out of Ashwin, Kumble and Jadeja will take the spinners spot. Then you have Dhoni and five batsmen, most likely to be Rohit Sharma, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Azharuddin and Yuvraj.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would Jadeja make the all time team when half his career he has struggled to break into the current team itself?
Well, even Saurav Ganguly or Rahul Dravid will struggle to break in to current Indian ODI side. Even Kumble is not a certain.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a moot point anyway. Same thing happened with Laker and Wardle (and Lock). England would kill for either right now.

cnerd123

likes this
Moving Yuvi up to 4 and MSD to 5 to fit Raina in at 6 feels counterproductive. Raina wasn't that special. Dravid's a perfectly good allround ODI batsman, and you need someone of quality if you're considering ATG vs ATG matches. Raina's fine if you know the opposition is going to have 10-20 overs of mediocre bowling to score off, but that's not the case here. His bowling is also less of a factor, especially considering how handy Sachin/Yuvi/Saurav were at their peaks.

Having said that, his fielding would be a huge asset. Rohit in for Saurav also makes sense. I just don't like Rohit Sharma, but it's hard to knock his career as an opener, and he adds a lot to the fielding as well.

Daemon

Moving Yuvi and MSD to 4 and 5 from 5 and 6 isn't really 'moving' them imo. Their role remains the same as it did for the bulk of their career.

I just feel that given the rest of the batting lineup, you'd only need Dravid when you're in a really bad situation. In most other situations you'd want him out of the way so the rest, most of whom bat long in addition to scoring quick, can do their thing.

Maybe I'm overestimating the strength of the rest and whether Raina would be able to squirt out quick runs against good attacks.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What could he have done from 4/17

They needed to rebuild before they could start blasting. And just when they were in a position to accelerate (they took 20 runs off a Warne over) Singh got out and NRR became more important then chasing the hail Mary victory

If they hadn't choked against NZ(where Jadeja top scored again with 76) they still could have been on track for the semis(but then of course would have relied on SA beating Aus - Gibbs holds the catch though and that's likely)

Look it's pretty clear he was a clutch player. Weird I have to argue this to Indian fans

Last edited:

mr_mister

i unfortunately can't tinker statsguru to just filter Indian WC performances to just include KO games and Super Six matches. It's either just KO games or every 'preliminary game'

but if you looked at a list of Indian WC records for KO games and the Super 6/8 stage combined (that whole weird second round stage system they stopped persisting with after '07) I bet you'd find Ajay Jadeja's record to be right up there

227 runs @ 56.75 striking @ 78 is what I can get pull together for Mr Jadeja - from 5 visits to the crease. And of course his strikerate is greatly hurt by having to salvage something from 4/17 situation when the so called batting gods were toppled effortlessly by McGrath

Clutchness and he flies under the radar. Sad!

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ajay Jadeja was good. He was winning us matches fairly often for a good 5-6 years. He may not belong in India's ATG ODI XI but he will make it to second XI.

trundler

You're not addressing the elephant in the room though. People don't want to include him because of the fixing. If you ignore that Azhar walks in at 4 and the batting looks much, much better. Shouldn't tho.

mr_mister

The great Rahul Dravid's record in this nifty new niche stat - WC KO games/Super 6 games combined

257 runs @ 36.7 from 10 digs striking at 64. Yikes! Not as good as my man Ajay Jadeja

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Is it just a coincidence that we are having this discussion and Jadeja (and for that matter Azhar) played their last match exactly 20 years back i.e 3rd June 2000.

mr_mister

From late '96 to the end of his career he seemed to be getting bettter and better

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...an;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

And as we all know ODI cricket was a different game before the 1996 world cup. And this is a pretty big span of matches to average over 40 for. The match fixing stuff really came at an unfortunate time for the bloke

And for his final 78 matches he averaged 46!

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...an;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

So underrated seriously

Last edited:

mr_mister

He's unfortunately been given the Ambati Rayudu treatment. Dude averages all but 50 over plenty of games but half this forum thinks he's a useless spud not worthy of being anywhere near the squad haha

cnerd123

likes this
I have never even once bothered to look into the career records of Ajay Jadeja or Azharruddin because they're both match fixers and do not deserve to have their cricketing career accomplishments recognized.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You're not addressing the elephant in the room though. People don't want to include him because of the fixing. If you ignore that Azhar walks in at 4 and the batting looks much, much better. Shouldn't tho.
I was very fond of Jadeja. Found it very hard to believe he was involved in match fixing :(

Daemon

I have never even once bothered to look into the career records of Ajay Jadeja or Azharruddin because they're both match fixers and do not deserve to have their cricketing career accomplishments recognized.
Yeah I've really got no idea about most of their contributions to Indian cricket, especially since I never watched them.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Azhar was sublime when he got going. He played some imperious knocks against SA in twin series in 96-97 at home and away. The team that had Donald, Pollock and for some games De Villiers.

Last edited:

mr_mister

oh get off dat high horse boi

you're denying yourself, clearly a cricket tragic, the chance to read about interesting careers and players (Hansie too) just because they gave into temptation and took money. at least celebrate the good things they did for the game before they became fixers