• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Javagal Srinath Warrants a Spot in an Indian All-Time ODI Team?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar can easily replace him with his dibbly-dobblies.
Sourav can also chip in with his Soumya Sarkar-esque trundlers

kingkallis

International Coach
NO!

In ODIs,

Zaheer Khan
Jasprit Bumrah
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble / Kuldeep Yadav / Yuzvendra Chahal
Ravindra Jadeja
Yuvraj Singh ( 4-5 overs if needed )

Reserve: Mohammad Shami

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I would go with the below XI. Srinath would have made it 10 years back but I think Bumrah and Shami are better than him and Zaheer inspite of longevity.

Rohit Sharma
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Virender Sehwag
Yuvraj Singh
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Ravindra Jadeja
Anil Kumble
Mohammed Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

srbhkshk

International Captain
Why would Jadeja make the all time team when half his career he has struggled to break into the current team itself?

kingkallis

International Coach
So you want to play 2 noobs who cant hold the bat for life? Naah. Jadeja is a fantastic fielder, he can play face saving knocks plus he has a fantastic record as a 2nd spinner of the team.

h_hurricane

Jadeja doesn't have a great ODI record, but I can't think of a second spinner who is a decent bat, good enough to bat at no.8 in ODIs. He is also probably the best fielder India ever had, and hence not a bad overall package.

h_hurricane

On a side note, any mention of Srinath throws my mind back to mid to late 90s when the tail looked like this.

Mongia
Kumble
Srinath
Joshi/Kuruvilla/Chopra/Chauhan/Raju
Prasad

What a dire fielding XI it was. Don't think any international XI could afford more than 2 poor fielders. India easily had 5-6. Some of the top order batsmen were dross diving around as well.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol Shami and bumrah? Maybe in a few years.

I'd go something like

Sharma
Tendulkar
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Sehwag
Dev
Kumble
Agarkar
Khan
Stinath

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I would go with the below XI. Srinath would have made it 10 years back but I think Bumrah and Shami are better than him and Zaheer inspite of longevity.

Rohit Sharma
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Virender Sehwag
Yuvraj Singh
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Ravindra Jadeja
Anil Kumble
Mohammed Shami
Jasprit Bumrah
Sehwag at number 4 will be like a rabbit in streetlight - clueless how to approach the innings in middle-overs as per game situation

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On a side note, any mention of Srinath throws my mind back to mid to late 90s when the tail looked like this.

Mongia
Kumble
Srinath
Joshi/Kuruvilla/Chopra/Chauhan/Raju
Prasad

What a dire fielding XI it was. Don't think any international XI could afford more than 2 poor fielders. India easily had 5-6. Some of the top order batsmen were dross diving around as well.

Sachin actually mentioned in a post match interview that all he asked of his tail was to contribute 7 runs each to the total so that they can add 28 runs overall. :laugh:

Poor guy never had a prayer as a captain with that tail, did he?

h_hurricane

Sehwag at number 4 will be like a rabbit in streetlight - clueless how to approach the innings in middle-overs as per game situation
I think he would do ok there. Not the best game awareness yes. But he could go all guns blazing and was an ATG destroyer of spin. It would be a great duel between him and Murali, Saqlain or Warne.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
just crunched the numbers on Sehwag.

He actually managed to bat as a non-opener in ODIs a decent sample of 33 times - averaged a whopping 25 doing it though. Yikes