• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dodgiest World Cup game so far, and the dodgiest result

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
To me the USA v Ghana game has to rank as the dodgiest World Cup game so far and the most dodgiest result in a game where the Team that won got 2 gifted goals, while the Team that lost scored the only genuine Goal .
For those who watched it , it would be very clear that the second goal was an absolute Gift for a tackle that never was . (Onyewo of USA was said to have
tackled the Ghana player who he hardly touched in the penalty box)

Any other opinions on other dodgey results and games in this World Cup, where refs have played more than a part in the result ?

*Edited *

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
JASON said:
To me the USA v Ghana game has to rank as the dodgiest World Cup game so far and the most dodgiest result in a game where the Team that won got 2 gifted goals, while the Team that lost scored the only genuine Goal .
For those who watched it , it would be very clear that the second goal was an absolute Gift for a handball that never was .
Any other opinions on other dodgey results and games in this World Cup, where refs have played more than a part in the result ?
Australia v Croatia.

Australia could have won easily if there was a decent ref.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Today I was watching Tunisia v Ukraine and I agree the Tunisians were playing a bit rough , but they did not deserve to be down to 10 against Ukraine . The referee was really over the top.

Cloete

International Captain
JASON said:
For those who watched it , it would be very clear that the second goal was an absolute Gift for a tackle that never was . (Onyewo of USA was said to have
tackled the Ghana player who he hardly touched in the penalty box)

*Edited *
Their first goal was gifted to them, but that's by the USA's poor work. It was a completely fair tackle where he got nothing but the ball. Reyna was apparently injured from that tackle but I was just thinking at the time, the only thing injured is his pride.

Australia v Croatia was fairly bad I think. Togo v South Korea was also a shocker, ****ing Koreans.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
France should have had a penalty against Switzerland and won the match. That handball was clear cut and should have been given, that was the worst result for mine.

Dodgiest game, hard to go past Ghana v USA, what a joke...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I didn't see Ghana-US, but the US were definitely unlucky v yer eye-talians too. No way their second goal should've been ruled out had FIFA's current interpretation of the offside rule been correctly applied.

&, I think there was absolutely no collusion, but the biggest carve-up in terms of result was us v Sweden. We got the point to top group; they got point to render whatever T&T did irrelevant.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clearly no Korean word for "simulation". :laugh:

TBF on the Totti one, he was on the way down before he was clipped. No better or warse than thousands of other strikers.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Off the top of my head:

USA vs Italy - De Rossi got what he deserved (Red, 4 match ban, 6400 euros out of pocket) but the other two guys...
Aus vs Croatia - Poll had a massive off day, but the right team went through. Emerton's yellow for the handball was justified, Simunic fiasco, Kalac the AC Milan (i think) player surely noone can be that bad in goal and play in a World Cup ahead from Schwartzer.
England vs Paraguay - That ref was amazingly biased towards the Paraguayians plus the whole no water fiasco.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
Off the top of my head:

USA vs Ghana - De Rossi got what he deserved (Red, 4 match ban, 6400 euros out of pocket) but the other two guys...
Aus vs Croatia - Poll had a massive off day, but the right team went through. Emerton's yellow for the handball was justified, Simunic fiasco, Kalac the AC Milan (i think) player surely noone can be that bad in goal and play in a World Cup ahead from Schwartzer.
England vs Paraguay - That ref was amazingly biased towards the Paraguayians plus the whole no water fiasco.
De Rossi is Italian.

Kalac isn't from AC Milan, that's Khaladze.

The Mexican referee was an absolute joke.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Eh? He is from AC Milan.

Kalac moved to Italian side Perugia in 2002 and, following their relegation in 2005, earned a transfer to AC Milan. Known as 'Spider', his long arms and legs are used to great advantage when stopping shots and gathering crosses. A long-time member of the national squad, he made his debut in 1992 against Malaysia.

Matteh

marc71178 said:
'Željko Kalac [ˈʒɛʎkɔ ˈkalats] (born December 16th, 1972) is an Australian football (soccer) goalkeeper, who currently plays for A.C. Milan in Italy's Serie A. ' - Wikipedia

Pretty sure that one of the commentators mentioned it during the match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Christ, missed that one - last I remember him was playing for mediocre sides like Palace and Leicester - has he ever actually played for them?!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
Clearly no Korean word for "simulation". :laugh:

TBF on the Totti one, he was on the way down before he was clipped. No better or warse than thousands of other strikers.
Lol, how good is the commentary :cool:

Matteh

marc71178 said:
Christ, missed that one - last I remember him was playing for mediocre sides like Palace and Leicester - has he ever actually played for them?!
According to Wikipedia, he played in the Champions League when Dida got injured and played in the Coppa Italia and Milan lost to Palermo 3-1 on aggregate (not surprising really.....)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Yes. He is their second choice keeper, so plays fairly regularly. Obviously you can't judge his ability based on one poor performance. He's obviously a good player, or AC Milan wouldn't touch him, much like the Hargreaves/Bayern Munich situation really.

Matteh

FaaipDeOiad said:
much like the Hargreaves/Bayern Munich situation really.
Hargreaves has never done something for a whole match to make him look actually full on crap though :p

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Uncalled for Andrew. Mild warning.
Fair enough.

Been using it for a while, think I got my point across. Deserved the "mild" warning :)

I think everyone knows my opnion on it by now :D

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
hmm was that ten years ago or something, his last two clubs were Roda JC and Perugia.