• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do your parents like Cricket?

cpr

International Coach
Not at all. One of my dads favourite pastimes, along with whinging about Rugby Union, is whinging about Cricket. However the hypocritical bastard doesn't mind the 20/20 if he's drinking at it and enjoyed the end of the WC final.

My mum has three blindspots in life. Sport, Comedy and Cooking. It makes me wonder how I'm even here

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, my dad’s not really a sports guy at all never seen him sit down and watch any sports or participate in any I get my tech and science interests from him. My mum on the other hand has a few sports she’s really interested in but has a general interest in all sports, one of the few things we have in common. Not a specifically big fan of cricket but she’ll sit down and watch fair bits of games. Always interested to hear me talk about sports I’m passionate about (such as cricket) even if they’re not her cup of tea exactly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They do and its a source of pride for me that my mum could name every international captain and his team during the entirety of my school days.

Slifer

International Captain
Dad loves the sport. That's how I got into it in the first place. Started off with a transistor radio listening to wi playing away to whomever...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dad was a fan. He worked as a mechanic and whenever I'd go and annoy him in his workshop, in my memories at least, his little transistor radio was constantly tuned to Radio 4 for TMS.

Think (things were better in my day style rant alert) cricket was just more of the national conversation back in the day, so most folk of his generation (born in the 40s) with an interest in sport were cricket fans to lesser or greater extents.

Tom Flint

International Regular
My old man is the ultimate sports spectator he has season tickets at Middlesex arsenal and saracens, the two of us also go to watch my local football club enfields every home game that doesn't clash with me playing cricket or rugby.
However he has never stepped foot on a sportsfield himself and is happier watching from the side or in the stands with a beer. Wakes up and watches the test matches through the night and plans his life around sports and scooter rallies. My mum loves sport too I guess she really started taking an interest whilst taking me and my brothers all over town to our games. Cricket is her favourite as she can sit in the sun (on the odd occasion it's shining) with the dogs and my nan who also comes along to whatever game I'm playing

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, both my mum and dad are definitely into cricket. My uncle is the most passionate of my whole family though, he was also the only one in the family to have foxtel, have many good childhood memories of sitting around and watching cricket at his place. Still remember the 418 chase in Antigua clear as day, was a bit gutted at the time when Australia lost but in hindsight that is one of the best games I have ever watched

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dad - yes. Though not as much as he is with league. But him watching cricket or having ABC on in the car was a regular occurance throughout history.

Mum probably a casual at best.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My parents and wife both liked to watch cricket till they got frustrated by my addiction to it. Now, they hate it.

the big bambino

International Captain
Neither. Dad would ridicule anything I was interested in and complain that, sportsmen in particular, were a pack of galoots wasting everyone's time. Why don't they do something productive instead? Mum never said anything unless it was to criticise. Then she'd be vocal and everyone had to know. So I didn't tell them much of anything and they never bothered to ask.

Daemon

Both only very casually follow it. Dad likes to pretend he knows a lot about the sport (and lots of things in general) though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Dad loves the game, am very gratefull ive had the chance to take him to a couple of days of Ashes cricket at the MCG and also the full 5 days at Adelaide (less grateful to Mitch Johnson for totally ****ing that experience for an old man lol)

DriveClub

International Regular
My mom hates it, my dad used to love it but now considers test cricket a massive waste of everyone's time. He thinks people shouldn't have to spend 5 days to watch a sports match and be more productive with their time.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
My mom hates it, my dad used to love it but now considers test cricket a massive waste of everyone's time. He thinks people shouldn't have to spend 5 days to watch a sports match and be more productive with their time.
To be fair your Dad has a really good point there, but I'm going to continue to ignore the fact I could/should be doing better things with my time than watching cricket :-)

vcs

My father's main love is now tennis, though he introduced me to cricket with a radio in the early '90s. Used to listen to Test match commentary along with him. He loved the Windies. Mom will not sit down to watch a game, but it's hard to escape knowing about it, being in India with all the attention cricketers get.

They'll both watch it from time to time, but I wouldn't call them particularly passionate fans.

OverratedSanity

They dont actively watch it on their own, usually its a terrible news "debate", but whenever Im home, and there's test cricket on, we're usually watching. Dad hates t20 with a passion, has always loved tests.