• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you enjoy watching cricket as much as the day you joined CW?

Do you like watching cricket as much as when you first joined CW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Much more now. I understand more nuances of the game. Cricket has so many facets that I cherish it more each year.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Let's just say I like to rather divorce the two, here and cricket. For my own sanity and my love of the game.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, even more so now that I possess the knowledge of the average espn employee.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to say...I've been involved in cricket in almost every aspect of it....as a player, a scorer, an umpire, a waterboy,

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For me the answer is no and the reason why I've made this thread is Cricket's failure to add context to the majority of tournaments as Shane Watson said recently

I like the sport obviously, don't get me wrong but I fail to get as excited as I once did and for the most part find it less rewarding to watch over say NBA or NRL. The other day Pakistan won their first ever series in West Indies to send off Misbah and Younus on a high. It was dramatic after Gabriel's diabolical slog but in the end I was happy for the two retirees but I really didn't care in the slightest who won the series. That's got to be a problem, surely?

Another example is Australia losing the 3 Tests series vs. South Africa last summer. The loss meant a change in our team, but the ramifications of losing that series has been minimal and will be almost completely forgotten if we win the Ashes this summer.

Also throw in the absolutely poor decision to play 3 T20Is in Australia at the same time the Test team was in India. Tickets should have been gold coin donation even though the T20is ended up being quite good.

Some might think this is just an out of season post by someone who doesn't follow IPL and who knows an actual knockout tournament like the upcoming Champions Trophy will likely keep me entertained.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That's quite interesting NUFAN. I went through similar disinterest when India kept failing to win in the West Indies. There was a series after 1997 when we had a very good side and they were quite weak and we still managed to not win it.

T20 is boring and I keep yearning for more cricket (test cricket). Earlier, there always used to be some test cricket on the television to watch. Some countries were playing ODIs while the others were playing tests. Now, there are many months without tests at times and it is annoying.

Apart from yearning for more, which increases my want for more cricket (test cricket), two other factors have played into my enjoying of the game. One is reading on the game gives entirely new perspectives. At times I start analysing a player in a context which a great writer had described years back, for example. When I watch a Roston Chase inning today, I enjoy it much more than I would have 10 or 20 years back when I watched Inzy for instance - the way he played the ball late, the way he strokes the ball elegantly. Another aspect for me is that the standard of the cricket played today is quite high. Bowlers do not stray down the leg side that much. Batsmen are better equipped to handle pressure. There are so many players I enjoy watching currently.

An interesting aspect as regards to this which Cardus and AA Thomson went through. People start off loving the game. Then, after a lot of the heroes retire, there is a time of less fondness and then, again, there is much more fondness.

Regarding the Shane Warne comments - I am not sure a good test series needs much context. It suffices in it's own. I wish more importance was paid to test cricket though of course.

Last edited:

Daemon

I used to watch every little thing but these days I find it hard to watch without discussing, so if no one on CW or the stream is talking cricket I kinda just leave it on in the background and forget about it.

Burgey

I don't think I watch as much international cricket as I used to, but I still love it. Have watched a lot more age-level stuff since the young bloke began playing reps three seasons back. If things go to plan I'll probably end up the Sydney Grade Correspondent for this site from next season.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
T20 is boring and I keep yearning for more cricket (test cricket).
Today is the 136th day this year.. How many days/matches in 2017 have you been very excited leading into the match or happy that you watched the majority of the match - even if you weren't expecting much?

For me there will be a couple of Big Bash matches and the India vs Australia Test series. I also really enjoyed Lakmal spell vs South Africa and I'll say the last session of day 5 in the Pak vs WI series was exciting (although I was watching NBA at the same time and woke up early to watch that).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I went through this phase in 93 or 94. When I was 12 or so.
When someone says they enjoy tests more and LOs less now, it does not necessarily mean that they liked LOs more than Tests previously. It could mean that earlier, too, they used to like tests more than LOs. And now the gap has just widened.

Thus ends today's lesson in basic logical analysis. Thank you for your patience.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When someone says they enjoy tests more and LOs less now, it does not necessarily mean that they liked LOs more than Tests previously. It could mean that earlier, too, they used to like tests more than LOs. And now the gap has just widened.

Thus ends today's lesson in basic logical analysis. Thank you for your patience.
This point you made has no relevance as I didn't say whether I enjoyed Limited overs more than tests earlier or not. I went through the same phase of liking tests more and ODIs lesser at the early age. I can't remember which I liked more as a boy of 8-9.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Today is the 136th day this year.. How many days/matches in 2017 have you been very excited leading into the match or happy that you watched the majority of the match - even if you weren't expecting much?

For me there will be a couple of Big Bash matches and the India vs Australia Test series. I also really enjoyed Lakmal spell vs South Africa and I'll say the last session of day 5 in the Pak vs WI series was exciting (although I was watching NBA at the same time and woke up early to watch that).
I really enjoyed the test series between West Indies and Pakistan. Not much else before this TBH. Couldn't watch the home India tests or first class cricket this season as I was over busy for the last few months

cnerd123

likes this
I used to watch every bit of cricket I could, and tbh if I had more time on my hands these days I probably still would. But now I find myself watching it more like MMA. There are some compelling match-ups that I must absolutely follow live - be it by watching it or following commentary- and I'll catch up on what happened in the remaining via cricketweb/articles/podcasts. For some moments I'll go catch the highlights just to see what everyone is talking about (Gabriel's dismissal being a recent example), but that's really about it. I don't watch or follow the IPL, and will only watch ODIs when convenient.

I still absolutely love watching the process of cricket happening, mind. If it involves players and teams that I know and there a place like CW or Reddit where I can talk about it, then I love following the game alongside all the chatter and memes and banter. If it's unknown cricket that like 5 people around the world are watching (like the Tamil Nadu Premier League), then I'll geek out by cricinfo-ing the players involved as the match is happening. If I'm watching live at the ground, I feel like I get sucked into the rhythm and flow of whats happening, although I feel a bit lost without all the stats and insights right at my fingertips. If I'm watching with friends, I love being the armchair expert trying to analyse the game and speculate on what happens (often failing spectacularly).

So ultimately, I've probably become a bit more choosey with the cricket I watch, but I still enjoy watching it every bit as much as I used to. Infact, I probably enjoy it more.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont really enjoy cricket as much as I used to but I think it has a lot to do with growing up. As an impressionable boy, the cricket I used to watch in the early and mid 90s, when we first started getting cricket from all over the world on television in India, I used to be in awe just to watch so many players from so many different countries playing against different opposition and different conditions. And with the feed being the local feed of the host broadcaster, we often got a taste of those countries' culture, traditions etc and it was all so new and interesting. As I have grown up though, the innocence of that time is lost and today it is more about how can he play that shot or how can he bowl that bad etc.

Here is a story for our FC cricket enthusiast S Kennedy: I remember the first ever live county game I ever watched. It was Warwickshire Vs Northamptonshire (? not sure) but Shaun Pollock got 4 wickets in 4 balls in an early over of the match and it was a LO game being broadcast live to us in India. Me and my cousins were so very excited. Those games used to start by 3 PM IST and we had our own cricket games starting by 4 back then, and it was the summer holidays at school. Boy those were good times. :)