• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with the final result?

Do you agree with the final result?

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
Both the game and the super over are tied. One team is declared winner based on the rule.

Do you believe this is a fair result?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes. Having consulted various sources, it seems that England did indeed win.

I am satisfied, so that I am sure, that this was the result.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
If they needed to find a winner of the tournament from either of those two teams after a tied final, they found the right one. They just got there in an arse-about-face way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with the result but not the method. After the two ties England should've won by virtue of finishing higher before the finals.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn't beat us and had 3 chances to. Group stage we thrashed them, final and super over they failed to beat us. Better team won.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I love when things like this happen and people pretend the events happened in a vacuum. Super over was played out knowing that was the scenario. We set a completely different field if NZ only need 1 on the final ball.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah people are acting like it was drawn out of a hat. But the moment Guptill doesn't make that one last run, he's on the floor and the whole England side is running off celebrating. Everyone knew the situation.

Agree that 'most boundaries' feels kinda silly but England were the better side across the tournament, so should have started the super over(s) with the tiebreaker anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not at all.

It's a turn of phrase which doesn't actually pass judgement on any arse/face interaction.
You're being completely disingenuous. You attempted to use it to express distaste and negativity. The real Neil Young would be sickened by this.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah people are acting like it was drawn out of a hat. But the moment Guptill doesn't make that one last run, he's on the floor and the whole England side is running off celebrating. Everyone knew the situation.

Agree that 'most boundaries' feels kinda silly but England were the better side across the tournament, so should have started the super over(s) with the tiebreaker anyway.
That said, a shared tropy would have been fair too.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah this rule was stupid but England would have won under several reasonable alternatives like giving the win to the team:
a) with the higher group ranking
b) who wins the group game
c) who loses the toss

But I have to say I have become sympathetic to the idea that if there is a tie after 50 overs and a tie after the superover why not just give both teams the cup. I am happy with England winning but it does seem a shame that NZ had to lose like this.

Spark

Global Moderator

honestly i still don't understand why guptill didn't try to hit that for four

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Id have preferred the following to the no of boundaries nonsense :

-keep doing super overs
-Team which finished higher in group stage wins
-Sudden death super balls until the tie is broken
-both teams get turns where they try to hit the biggest six
-An online poll on which team's captain has better facial hair