• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dire Times Ahead For England

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: Re: Dire Times Ahead For England

Shane Warne said:
disagree vehemently. so giles blocks out 100 balls or whatever it was on a sloooow turning pitch & he`s suddenly a #8? keep it in perspective
Number 8s in the World...

SA - Pollock - easily the best around
Aus - Bichel/Lee/Warne - a tiny bit above Giles attackingly but I wouldn't fancy any of them to save a draw
NZ - Vettori/Hart - better
WI - Drakes - par(ish)
Ind - Agarkar - no description needed
SL - Vaas - Giles is better
Zim - Streak - second only to Pollock
Pak - Shoaib - hit and hope.

I don't think Giles is too out of his depth at #8.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
First Class Record

Giles - 4259 runs @ 26.61, 3x100, 18x50
Vaas - 2411 runs @ 19.60, 10x50

Test Record

Giles - 641 runs @ 17.32, 2x50
Vaas - 1659 runs @ 19.75, 6x50

Whilst Vaas has a marginally better Test record, Giles' considerably better FC record in a superior competition swings it for me.

Neil Pickup said:
First Class Record

Giles - 4259 runs @ 26.61, 3x100, 18x50
Vaas - 2411 runs @ 19.60, 10x50

Test Record

Giles - 641 runs @ 17.32, 2x50
Vaas - 1659 runs @ 19.75, 6x50

Whilst Vaas has a marginally better Test record, Giles' considerably better FC record in a superior competition swings it for me.
i`ll go with vaas better record in both forms of the game at the highest international level

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Dire Times Ahead For England

Shane Warne said:
disagree vehemently. so giles blocks out 100 balls or whatever it was on a sloooow turning pitch & he`s suddenly a #8? keep it in perspective
Conveniently disregarding the half centuries he's scored from number 8 and the 40odd that averted the 1st Test follow-on!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO Giles is a vastly overrated batsman, and vastly flattered by his figures since The Third Test against Sri Lanka in 2002.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why's that then?
Because yet again you have a chance to deliberately misread the order of chicken\egg?
That don't cut no ice no more, you've over-used it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why's that then?
Giles is consistently scoring runs and batting well beyond his previous level in Test Cricket.

In FC cricket, his average is very respectable, and his form in Tests is not surprising because of it, yet you have decided he's flattered by those figures.

By the same token, can we claim Ramprakash is flattered by a brief run of semi-decent scores?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, because Ramprakash's run lasts over 4 years, interrupted only by series' against New Zealand, both of which he was dropped after.

Craig

World Traveller
Lets end it this:

Ramps got enough chances, it was his fault he didnt take it whether being made to open or bat at 11.

And Giles consistantly scoring runs got proof?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, because Ramprakash's run lasts over 4 years, interrupted only by series' against New Zealand, both of which he was dropped after.
And Giles' consistent run is now 2 years and he doesn't look like it ending.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but few things look like ending when in full flow.
If Giles continues to score runs for the next 2 years his form can be considered parallel with Ramprakash's from 1998 onwards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Lets end it this:

Ramps got enough chances, it was his fault he didnt take it whether being made to open or bat at 11.
Yes, it was his fault he failed in the two series' against New Zealand when he did (I will not and have not blamed him for failures out of position) and I didn't have any massive qualms about him being dropped after either.
However, he took most of his chances from 1998 onwards. I don't like that people don't realise it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who, Ramps?
Well, he played 9 series' (including a one-off Test), missed 4 and played 2 in which he batted out-of-position.
And when he was dropped he could have no qualms about it, really. When you have as poor a start to a Test-career as Ramps did, you can't quite afford a bad series unless you're averaging 50 (Ramps averaged just 42 excluding the New Zealand series').
It is a shame that he didn't get more chances, but I can't really complain about it.
I also think he'd have got away with the two poor New Zealand series' if he'd made more Test centuries. Granted he was sometimes restricted in opportunities, and average is more important than centuries, but still I reckon if he'd had the same average and scored 5 centuries instead of 2 in the same period he'd still be playing Tests now.