• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dire straits for Windies cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
It sounds a pretty awful scenario. The way it reads it seems as tho Windies cricket may be heading for a massive schism a la Packer's WSC. :(
Don't think it's fair to compare.

Packer completely revolutionised the world game, and IMO had it not happened, we may not even be seeing Cricket any more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Don't think it's fair to compare.

Packer completely revolutionised the world game, and IMO had it not happened, we may not even be seeing Cricket any more.
No, fair enough, but in the short term WSC pretty much decimated the Australian national team. In the long term, on balance, it was a good thing.

I just meant The Windies team is gonna be similarly gutted.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
SJS said:
Terrible, terrible, terrible.
lol i think its so stupid its funny, if the matter isnt resolved then the windies will probably be thrashed, i must say i would be very suprised if its not sorted out. the situation is a complete joke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
No, fair enough, but in the short term WSC pretty much decimated the Australian national team. In the long term, on balance, it was a good thing.
It was?
No, we can't know that.
Games have been supposedly dying a death on so many occasions it's untrue.
Cricket didn't need the Packer schism (which decimated not just Australia but England too) to revitalise it - it'd have happened anyway, probably from someone who didn't do the sort of damage Packer did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
A ludicrous statement.
How many games have gone from World popularity to non-existent in a matter of 25 years?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It wasn't popular back then.

It was running out of money, and the fans were nowhere near as interested.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It was?
No, we can't know that.
Games have been supposedly dying a death on so many occasions it's untrue.
Cricket didn't need the Packer schism (which decimated not just Australia but England too) to revitalise it - it'd have happened anyway, probably from someone who didn't do the sort of damage Packer did.
It hardly decimated England - at least not on remotely the scale of the Aus lineup. Nor did it particularly revitalise the game, which quite clearly was not dying a death around 1976/77. If anything, it was on the up, with terrific and attractive Aus, WI & Pakistan sides in the ascendancy. Maybe the extra money has helped continue to attract players to the game though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It wasn't popular back then.

It was running out of money, and the fans were nowhere near as interested.
Which fans are you talkng about? The game was on the up in Australia after their huge wins in 1974/5 and 1975/6. Over here, it became increasingly popular when Botham arrived, also nothing to do with Packer. Elsewhere it was doing fine, as far as I am aware.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
i wrote this another web-site in regards to the other

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well i hate to say but i think cricket is a sport in crisis really.

In Australia, were obvlivious to it all because our team does so well and all the players are earning loads of money. We have fringe FC players (not earning to badly themselves in Australia) who can go over and play league cricket in England and earn quite a handsome sum. We have reasonable FC players (earning good money) who can play county cricket in England and earn a huge sum.

But overseas the only other country which isn't in a fair bit of trouble is England.

Zimbabwe is obvious, while Bangladesh just aren't international standard. the Windies have obviousbly been in decline for quite a while and this is only going to speed up the process.

South Africa's team has been in decline for a few years since the debacle at their own world cup which ended in the sacking of Sean Pollock. what should've been one of the best month's for South African cricket has ended up being their worst. Since then SP was dropped as captain, the one-day team can harldy win and the test team isn't doing much better. The accusations of racism that are so common in every day society for them have no crept into their cricketing fraternity and there are clear divisions within South African cricket.

New Zealand cricket is just a shambles. They couldn't pay a man to come watch a One-dayer over there let alone a test match. I don't know how their one-day team is rated number two in the world cause it clearly isn't. There full of ordinary all rounders who combine to make a pretty average line-up capable of producing the goods sometimes. But their national body isn't making a cent, no one is going to their games and they're more intereted in rugby - speaking of which, how stupid to have a showcase series againts Australia clash with the start of the Super 12 competition.

And then we have the sub continent teams where who on earth would know what's going on. Players are touted as the next Bradman/Lillee then the next day they're not even good enough for first class cricket, gambling and player's being accused of match fixing, extremely inconsistent performances on the park, coaches seem to change every few weeks, supporters burn images of the players when they lose a game. It's frustrating because this should be the strongest region in the world for cricket (due to population and popularity of cricket) but it's so inconsistent and are without a doubt the most disorganised region in world cricket.

The only country aside from Australian going forward is England - and only a few years ago they looked like they were destined to fall into the cricketing black hole with pathetic crowds and pathetic on field performances.

And then we come to the ICC. The most spineless, inept, disorganised, shortsighted, brainless, useless, pathetic organisation to run international sport ANYWHERE in the world. I can't even remember the last time i thought the ICC had come up with a good inniative. Words just can't express how much i hate the ICC. People complain about the AFL, but i tell you if the ICC was running the AFL competition we'd probably still be a semi-amatuer league with about 10,000 people turning up at most.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the non Australians in here, the AFL is the most popular footballing code in Australia but isn't played overseas.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I hope the players don't back down and at some stage this is resolved in a court room (in their favor).

The idea that players can't market themselves on the basis of being part of the West Indian team is laughable, and this clamoring for team sponsorship to have more and more exclusivity (at the expense of personal contracts) is definitely a bad thing for the game. IMO, the WICB (and Digicel) have no right to make such demands. I'm not one for slippery-slope arguments, but any resolution in favor of the team sponsor will pave the way for more ridiculous encroachments on individual sponsorship arrangements (and will also signal similar developments in other cricket-playing countries).

Also, Digicel's representatives are obviously w@nkers. The players association had multiple examples of Digicel making constant demands of players for which no contractual obligations existed.

Last edited:

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
Also, Digicel's representatives are obviously w@nkers. The players association had multiple examples of Digicel making constant demands of players for which no contractual obligations existed.
Succinctly put and, I think, a fair assessment. The fact that the WICB made no public statement to criticize some of the sensationalist, irrelevant garbage spouted by Nowell in his leaked memo, speaks volumes for the lack of respect they have for the players and WIPA. The Board is an unnaccountable, unprofessional dinosaur that seems unable to come to terms with the fact that players can no longer be bullied into submission.

The only viable solution for West Indies cricket is a return to the fold for the C&W players.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A-fricken-men, Slow Love and I'm not just saying that because I effectively said the same thing in my article. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
speaks volumes for the lack of respect they have for the players and WIPA. The Board is an unnaccountable, unprofessional dinosaur that seems unable to come to terms with the fact that players can no longer be bullied into submission.

The only viable solution for West Indies cricket is a return to the fold for the C&W players.
I wouldn't grant sainthood to WIPA though. They're currently asking for a sizeable pay increase which would say top players earning over 500,000 US for a full year of cricket. The WICB simply cannot afford that.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Its a sorry state of affairs, but West Indies cricket has a whole has been decline every since the growth of Football and basketball in the area. West Indies are in danger of falling into the bottom 3 with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

I hope that this will get resolved but i feel that the West Indies cricket board are shooting themseleves in the foot over this issue.

I wholeheartly agree with the post about World cricket it is in a crisis and the ICC are total crap

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
A-fricken-men, Slow Love and I'm not just saying that because I effectively said the same thing in my article. :D
I just read it mate, and it was an excellent piece. The only thing I wasn't in complete agreement about was the possibility of players relinquishing personal sponsors in order to get a bite of the team sponsor cherry. I don't think the players should budge on the issue, and I think they have enough bargaining power to force it. Certainly if a board persists without it's best players because of this kind of dispute, it'll receive a barrage of criticism - not that I'd dare predict that the ICC would necessarily do anything about it.

Top_Cat

I just read it mate, and it was an excellent piece. The only thing I wasn't in complete agreement about was the possibility of players relinquishing personal sponsors in order to get a bite of the team sponsor cherry. I don't think the players should budge on the issue, and I think they have enough bargaining power to force it. Certainly if a board persists without it's best players because of this kind of dispute, it'll receive a barrage of criticism - not that I'd dare predict that the ICC would necessarily do anything about it.
Didn't mean to seem as if I was advocating the idea. It was just that - an idea. I actually agree with you; the board are at fault here, not the players. The players should stand firm.