• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Westindies have the best every bowling attack around 1980?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
When the likes of Joel Garner, Malcom Marshall, Andy Roberts and Michael Holding bowled for them. How difficult would it be for batsmen to face them one by one.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When the likes of Joel Garner, Malcom Marshall, Andy Roberts and Michael Holding bowled for them. How difficult would it be for batsmen to face them one by one.
Not as hard as it would have been to face them simultaneously

cnerd123

likes this
They were to be, the very best,
That no one ever was
To face them was a real test
To hurt you was their cause..

Debris

International 12th Man
It was the number of good bowlers that was remarkable. They possibly had 6 or 7 of the best 10 fast bowlers in the world for a span of around 10 years. The fact that they could get away with bowling under 80 overs a day was obviously a massive advantage considering their attack but the production line of great fast bowlers was pretty startling.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
They still have some of the best bowlers going, it's just those guys don't play tests or even many ODI's if there's a twenty20 tournament going on anywhere

S.Kennedy

Has anyone seen Fire in Babylon? I thought they were a bit dismissive of the Worrell/Sobers era, but other than that it was good.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They still have some of the best bowlers going, it's just those guys don't play tests or even many ODI's if there's a twenty20 tournament going on anywhere
who are you referring to? Andre Russell? I don't really rate any of the t20 specliasts as anything other than respectable pace bowling sloggers. mostly their game changing ability lies with the bat. This is true for Pollard, Braithwaite, Sammy and even Russell who is probably the best bowler of the bunch

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has anyone seen Fire in Babylon? I thought they were a bit dismissive of the Worrell/Sobers era, but other than that it was good.
Yeah that's the one thing about the movie I really hate. It portrays those great 60s Windies teams as a bit of a joke team which didn't really have the desire to win which was a bit ridiculous.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah that's the one thing about the movie I really hate. It portrays those great 60s Windies teams as a bit of a joke team which didn't really have the desire to win which was a bit ridiculous.
Most of that arises out of the bad press Sobers got for that declaration that gave England the opportunity to win the fourth Test in 67/68

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't mention the series loss in NZ either and Croft shoulder charging umpires, Holding kicking stumps out etc. That omission is the thing I hate - sugarcoating history

The Battlers Prince

not really
I think Narine's better than Bishoo and Andre Russell is better than the quicks in the side atm too.
Overall though I'm still in the camp of hoping that this period of time becomes a footnote like WSC and in years to come we're saying about the guys who went to IPL, big bash etc. and the game improves and adapts.