• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Deliveries that changed the history of the game

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This struck me when reading a piece about Kapil Dev taking the catch to dismiss Viv Richards in the 1983 WC final, kick starting India's love of limited overs cricket.
Another that struck me was Gatting trying unsuccessfully to reverse sweep Allan Border in the 1987 WC final, and the impact that had on subsequent Aus dominance.
D'Oliveria reaching his hundred at The Oval in 1968 setting up a chain of events that would eventually see South Africa in isolation for 20+ years.
The final wicket at the Oval in the 1882 test which gave birth to the Ashes.
Wasim Akram's preposterous use of reverse swing in the 1992 WC final - obviously wasted on Chris Lewis, but still a spectacular announcement of a new skill in the game.

There must be others.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Warne's Ball of the Century set up a career of mind games and overthinking from batsmen. Also kept leg spin in cricket fans' consciousness.

Kirkut

International Regular
Lance Klusener to Steve Waugh in 1999 World Cup, the dropped catch by Gibbs. After that drop till 2011 World Cup Australia were the best in ODIs with the second best being daylight below.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Basil D'Oliveria one was more attributable to Tom Cartwright getting injured. Despite the aforementioned century D'Oliveria wasn't originally selected for the squad.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Basil D'Oliveria one was more attributable to Tom Cartwright getting injured. Despite the aforementioned century D'Oliveria wasn't originally selected for the squad.
I know, but there wouldn't have been such a fuss over his non-selection, so he wouldn't have been called up to replace Cartwright; especially as he was a different type of player to TC.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know, but there wouldn't have been such a fuss over his non-selection, so he wouldn't have been called up to replace Cartwright; especially as he was a different type of player to TC.
Barry Knight not being such a **** and being available for selection would probably have changed things

fredfertang

At its most basic England were due to tour South Africa in 1968/69 and the South African government made it clear they wouldn't accept a side with Dolly in it. This didn't appear to be a problem as he was out of form and out of the team in 1968. Then he was called up for the final Ashes Test and scored 158. Despite that the selectors didn't choose him and the selectors were accused of pandering to the South African regime.

Dolly was a frontline batsman who bowled a bit of gentle medium pace. Tom Cartwright was a medium pacer too, but a top class one who batted a bit. When Cartwright had to pull out the selectors replaced him Dolly, by no stretch a like for like replacement, and that was that - tour cancelled. Exactly what happened and why has never been definitively established

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just to add, in case Stephen wasn't aware, D'Oliveira originated from South Africa before moving to England in the early 1960's. His classification as 'cape coloured' meant that he couldn't play at the highest level in SA, which was solely open to white players. The SA Government's objection wasn't only about the colour of his skin, but moreso because of his background. What came to light subsequently was that the SA Government had, behind the scenes, made it clear that Dolly wouldn't be welcome long before the touring side was selected.

stephen

I am glad SA underwent isolation then. I'm guessing that this was a big part of why it happened.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I am glad SA underwent isolation then. I'm guessing that this was a big part of why it happened.
Yeah, but it took a few years. Their tours of England and Australia in 1970 and, I think, 1971/72 respectively were cancelled relatively late in the day. That may have been as much down to security concerns as any sort of principled stand; by then, the SA cricket and rugby teams were attracting huge protests. To provide some context, SA had been out of the Olympics since the Gleneagles agreement in the early 1960s. SA had always refused to play any of the non-white cricketing nations, so WI, India and Pakistan were keen to see SA isolated and there may have been ramifications if the white cricketing countries had continued to play SA. Perhaps the attempt of SA to influence the selection of other sides was the tipping point. Apart from D'Oliveria, they had complained about having to play against Maoris when touring NZ. Either way, the sporting establishments in England, Aus and NZ were less than willing to support any sort of ban. Especially England; maybe I'm being unfair to Aus and NZ. Eventually they had no choice though.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bosanquet's invention of the googly and the Saffers subsequently using it to such great effect.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Some education in this thread for me. Didn't know SA cricket board was dickish enough to even demand their opponents to not field non-whites. I thought it was limited to racism in their own selection. It's also amazing how recent all this is.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Some education in this thread for me. Didn't know SA cricket board was dickish enough to even demand their opponents to not field non-whites. I thought it was limited to racism in their own selection. It's also amazing how recent all this is.
It was not specifically the SA cricket board...

Irony that a few years later bribing of WI players for rebel tour occurred....