• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Decade/Country test draft

Shri

Mr. Glass
If we can, I am changing my pick to Lohmann instead of Hall

I didn't see anyone going beyond 1900 so I thought the century before didn't count

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Likewise, I had some pre 1900s players in my long lost of kind of options in order of priority but will see what Mr_Mister has to say but I would say if Shri was allowed to change his picks those who picked after him should have the change to pick Wes Hall as they may not have picked him on the understanding he was already picked by Shri

@mr_mister

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Everton Weekes 40s WI
Wally Hammond 20s E
Martin Donnelly 30s NZ
Andy Flower 90s Z
Mushtaq Mohammed 50s P
Dennis Lillee 70s A

Insanely good middle order

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait we can pick from the 1800s?
I don't think so. Mr Mister indicated in his introduction that we could pick from 11 different decades with at least 8 from different decades. I assumed, as did others, that those decades extended from the 1910s to the 2010s.

We obviously need clarification from the draft organiser.

JOJOXI

For ease of reference, this was the first post

Over the years most of my drafts have been related to either batting averages, countries or years. With quite a lot of batting average related drafts operating at the moment I thought I'd combine 2 old ideas.

Having 11 different test countries and 11 different decades represented I think would be a little too hard so I'll have mercy.

Your XI simply needs to have players represented from at least 8 different test nations and 8 different decades for test debut. For those 3 spare spots you can pick whoever - however you can't have a particular country or decade represented more than twice.

Aiming for 10-12 players

No Bradman
West Indies counts as one country for the sake of this draft

JOJOXI

Personally perceived the above to mean - having no overlap in nationality or decades (my assumption was any decades not just the last 11 decades). But to make things a bit easier just 8 different nationalities and decades (any decades) had to be represented.

If pre-1910s picks are ineligible that would also discount Hobbs, Barnes and Faulkner who have already been picked

Thoughts on Shri and change to Lohmann - would be good to have that sorted as to whether it is Wes Hall or Lohmann who is still available to be picked - have tagged Mr_Mister in my 2nd from last post - and if it is allowed what the thoughts are on picks following that and whether they should have the chance to change to Wes Hall.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think because trundlers draft was post WW1 maybe people thought this was but nope you can pick from any decade in this draft. Id just assumed nobody was that interested in pre 1900 players(thats why i hadn't grabbed one yet)

mr_mister

And sorry Shri you can't change as i dont think i was unclear/misleading on the rules. It might lead to someone else being able to claim a change to someone they want pre 1900

JOJOXI

I think because trundlers draft was post WW1 maybe people thought this was but nope you can pick from any decade in this draft. Id just assumed nobody was that interested in pre 1900 players(thats why i hadn't grabbed one yet)
Likewise, have a few picks late on I am considering in that pre-1900 time period although now it turns out that at least 2, potentially more, players weren't picking them because they didn't think they were eligible I can look forward to them all going one by one :laugh:

mr_mister

Late 1890s is about as far as i ever go in drafts. Id definitely want Hall over Lohmann, Lohmann and Spofforths 110kmph 'pace' off 4 steps or whatever has always made me skeptical of them. Have never picked either in probably over 50 drafts I've played

JOJOXI

Late 1890s is about as far as i ever go in drafts. Id definitely want Hall over Lohmann, Lohmann and Spofforths 110kmph 'pace' off 4 steps or whatever has always made me skeptical of them. Have never picked either in probably over 50 drafts I've played
Personally would be willing to go a bit further back but there is a bit of a hmmm I do go through with players from very early cricketing generations. Would still think of Spofforth and Lohmann as good picks if rating a team but despite their records would never personally put them over a more modern player who has excelled to a great degree like a Marshall/Steyn etc. Have a list of 366 players of pretty much I'll only go for those players in drafts like this, only 22 of those in the 1800s - those 2 you mentioned being 2 of those 22. Realistically I'd be surprised if I have more then 2 or 3 players with debuts before the 1940s in my final XI. With the game being so different then both in terms of quality as well as averages seeming bowler friendly think perspectives of players from late 1800s/early 1900s are likely to vary more widely too amongst fellow drafters - not only the typical biases/different priorities in rating players but they have generally performed in only 2/3 countries and to a lower standard although I guess its a bit like Pele in football - some would have him no doubt the greatest ever I've seen others say he was good but vastly overhyped I'm somewhere in between.