• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner Smashes Wigless Joe Root

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It was not just the faintly ridiculous image of David Warner, the Australian opener, reacting so humourlessly to a novelty wig that he threw an unprovoked punch at an England player so fresh-faced and innocent looking that it was hard to avoid the vision of Warner as a buffoon who can't handle his drink or the pressures of international cricket. And it was not just that Warner had done it so hopelessly. Warner, it seems, doesn't just float like a butterfly, he stings and bats like one, too.
:thumbup:

Ouch!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Shocked he didn't retaliate. I don't know if I could stop myself (even if I knew I'd get my ass thoroughly kicked, which I most definitely would against someone like Warner :p) in that situation. Good for him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And apparently punches as well as he bats, someone posted earlier they saw England training this morning and Root doesn't have a mark on him.

Oh and TNT. This from the Manager of the Walkabout

Doesn't sound to me like Root was running off to "dibberdob" to anyone. The trouble with your ridiculous comments is that you are basing it all on assumptions, the rest of us are just going on what has been reported.
I wonder how often stuff like this happened a couple decades ago and no one ever found out cause no one thought it was a big deal....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think it was anything this sinister. The only way Root will be able to sport a beard for at least the next 10-15 years is to don a wig, he was probably just seeing what it would look like if the testosterone injections work.
Why is that sinister? It's an awesome beard - people talk about it all the time. Seems like a bit of light fun, even if it was true.

Plus, there is no way a guy as hipster looking as Joe Root is at all Islamophobic. Those glasses are straight out of Portland.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder how often stuff like this happened a couple decades ago and no one ever found out cause no one thought it was a big deal....
Well the Botham/Chappelli incident got out. Not sure if it was regular, maybe dressing room bust ups were easier to keep quiet than pub ones. It seems any dust up gets out these days look at Man City last season with Mancini and Balotelii.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well the Botham/Chappelli incident got out. Not sure if it was regular, maybe dressing room bust ups were easier to keep quiet than pub ones. It seems any dust up gets out these days look at Man City last season with Mancini and Balotelii.
Sports journalists in the US talk about how they used to travel with teams back in the 70s and 80s, and there'd be random fights and women going in and out of people's rooms all the time but no one ever said anything. Kind of a code they had. Great story about how LT showed up five minutes before the game all coked up...Parcells just told someone to dump cold water on him and dress him up. The dude had four sacks that game. :laugh:

watson

Banned
An ECB statement said: "England and Wales Cricket Board confirms that David Warner initiated an unprovoked physical attack on a member of the England team in a Birmingham bar following England's 48 run victory over Australia.

"Warner has admitted behaving inappropriately and has since apologised to the player involved who has accepted the apology.

"Following a full investigation the England team management has concluded that the England player was in no way responsible for nor retaliated to the attack."
This incident is unforgivable considering that Warner was already 'skating on thin ice' after his run-in with the Murdoch press recently.

If Warner was provoked or goaded then that would be different, and I may have some sympathy. But to a throw a punch just for the sake of it is just plain cowardly and something I'd expect from the U16s, not a member of the National team.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
This is hilarious.

Warner incident 'covered-up': report

Nine News reports that when Australian team management in England initially found out about the incident on Sunday they felt it was minor enough to deal with internally, without punishment.

Former vice-captain Shane Watson wasn't happy with the lack of reprimand given to Warner, accusing coach Mickey Arthur of double-standards after he dropped Watson and three other players for one Test on the tour of India earlier this year for not completing a team "homework" task.

It was only after Watson's complaint to Arthur that Cricket Australia became involved and a further inquiry was launched. Warner was then dropped from Australia's Champions Trophy team that played New Zealand at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

Oh, Watto. :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is hilarious.

Nine News reports that when Australian team management in England initially found out about the incident on Sunday they felt it was minor enough to deal with internally, without punishment.

Former vice-captain Shane Watson wasn't happy with the lack of reprimand given to Warner, accusing coach Mickey Arthur of double-standards after he dropped Watson and three other players for one Test on the tour of India earlier this year for not completing a team "homework" task.

It was only after Watson's complaint to Arthur that Cricket Australia became involved and a further inquiry was launched. Warner was then dropped from Australia's Champions Trophy team that played New Zealand at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

Brilliant, this will help team-spirit, no end:laugh:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure TNT will be along at any moment to admit he called this all wrong the other night and the big girl was in fact one of your own:laugh:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
This is hilarious.

Lol!

Seriously a bunch of oversized kids, aren't these guys? I remember my schooldays when we used to get our evaluated answer papers, how religiously we used to compare between peers and secretly go and complain about the other kid given more marks for a similar answer.

the big bambino

International Captain
Watson is a sook though he does have a point. Its just not so important to jeopardise team unity. However this thing would have escalated anyway when the press got hold of it. CA would have to get involved from that point.