• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darryl hair - Overrated decision maker

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well if anyone knew if Hair was way out of line or not, it would be the England team. The fact that he still commands alot of respect from them tells me all is not what it seems.
nope, only the Pak team would know that. How the hell would England blame him when he was trying to award them 5 runs and bring humiliation to their opponents in a test they were losing?

Flem274*

123/5
This thread is a mess.

Hair is a decent umpire. Have no real gripes with his descision making.

Daryl Hair isn't a racist, not on purpose at least. He probably did what he felt was right in those games. However due to a combination of his man management stuff ups and plain bad luck on who he's had tangles with he's been labelled all sorts.

Wrt umpiring against the subcontinent I agree with bond21 to an extent. I'd be nervous too because if you make a stuff up like Bucknor with Symonds you could potentially be in very hot water. You would think twice on some descisions I would imagine. Its human nature to be worried for ones career on a descision you must make when there's a bit of a shambolic hissy fit precedent.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This thread is a mess.

Hair is a decent umpire. Have no real gripes with his descision making.

Daryl Hair isn't a racist, not on purpose at least. He probably did what he felt was right in those games. However due to a combination of his man management stuff ups and plain bad luck on who he's had tangles with he's been labelled all sorts.

Wrt umpiring against the subcontinent I agree with bond21 to an extent. I'd be nervous too because if you make a stuff up like Bucknor with Symonds you could potentially be in very hot water. You would think twice on some descisions I would imagine. Its human nature to be worried for ones career on a descision you must make when there's a bit of a shambolic hissy fit precedent.
Hair is a decent umpire when he can use some common sense, which he often seems to miss out. He has given more than legitimate reason for teams from Sri Lanka and Pakistan to be wary of him. Whether he did it voluntarily or not is a moot point. The main thing is that there were reasonable reasons for Pak and SL's complaints about him and so he doesn't get to stand in their games. Fair enough, I think. And the way he handled the Oval controversy was a disgrace and he got punished for it. Again, I think it was all his desserts.

And Bucknor, in much the same way, has given quite a number of reasons for the Indians to be apprehensive of him. And after that clutch of bad decisions that cost them the game at Sydney, along with the way he behaved to them during the game, meant that Indians were always going to have enough reason to get him out of their games. At the end of the day, the good umpires (esp. the ones who know how to handle diff. teams and diff. nationalities) always do well and never run into this much trouble as these guys do.

Daryl Harper or Rudi Koertzen make just as many bad decisions as perhaps Bucknor does but they don't get them replaced, do they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps thinking twice on certain decisions is a good thing? Perhaps all Umpires should do this when all teams are involved more often?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Daryl Harper or Rudi Koertzen make just as many bad decisions as perhaps Bucknor does but they don't get them replaced, do they?
Daryl Harper makes far, far more. Hopeless Umpire.

At least he had the sense not to make silly gestures mocking Rahul Dravid for being accused of ball-tampering though. That, is it not, is what really caused the Indians to become deeply suspicious of Bucknor?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nope, only the Pak team would know that. How the hell would England blame him when he was trying to award them 5 runs and bring humiliation to their opponents in a test they were losing?
England were rather unlikely to be in favour of any of that TBH.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Daryl Harper makes far, far more. Hopeless Umpire.

At least he had the sense not to make silly gestures mocking Rahul Dravid for being accused of ball-tampering though. That, is it not, is what really caused the Indians to become deeply suspicious of Bucknor?
not juz that. The way he castigated Parthiv Patel for over-appealing (For God's sakes, he is not even half as bad as Mongia or Warne or Moin or even Gilchrist)... It was almost as though he was bullying him.. I think that series down under in 2003 caused too much of friction between Bucknor and the Indians and an incident like 2007 was just waiting to happen, tbh...

Debris

International 12th Man
Darryl Hair is probably still in the top 5 umpires when it comes to giving correct decisions.

Darry Hair is a very old-fashioned umpire, I think, which is what is causing him problems. It used to be the umpire's job to interpret (and shape) the rules of the game. Unfortunately for Darryl, the game has moved on and that is no longer part of the job description. He doesn't seem to quite grasp this concept.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
not juz that. The way he castigated Parthiv Patel for over-appealing (For God's sakes, he is not even half as bad as Mongia or Warne or Moin or even Gilchrist)... It was almost as though he was bullying him.. I think that series down under in 2003 caused too much of friction between Bucknor and the Indians and an incident like 2007 was just waiting to happen, tbh...
Bullying is a terrific description of how he treated Parthiv Patel.

Bucknor was a disgrace in 2003.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting, I'd never heard about \ noticed that one before.

With that and the Dravid incident, I don't really know why anyone would be surprised that India's cricketers would take the chance to have an excuse to cause trouble for Bucknor.

BTW, someone fix the thread title FFS.