• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Gough retires from test cricket

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricket Web's lead article

The Dazzler has knocked test cricket on the head.

He has been an exceptional servant to England in the past and it was very brave of him to give it 'one more go' for the current series, but that little extra which he always had, that spark, is no longer there.

With Caddick and White suffering from injuries and Cork having painted himself into a corner with the ECB, whoever comes in to replace Gough is going to be part of one of the least experienced attacks England have ever put together for a test match.

Any suggestions?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Should it be an experienced name like Mullally or *cough*Cork*gag* or (say) Kabir Ali of the young guns or Saggers from the 'always missed out in the past' brigade?

Freddie is now the experienced man and Anderson the 'talisman' I suppose, which doesn't fill me with much confidence for the rest of the series

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think England will go into decline shortly, especially if Hussain calls it a day soon,
Goughie, class bowler, but today without the spark so i guess this was expected.. Worrying for England though...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Sad to see a great player go. This was in a way expected, and i think this may be another way of having a let off for harmison, anderson and flintoff. one of them would have been dropped, but now goughs gone, i'm not sure.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jacques Rudolph said:
I think England will go into decline shortly
As an Aussie, I haven't seen the 'incline' yet - must have missed it. (sorry, couldn't resist)
:lol:

Sad to see Goughie go.......he was a popular figure amongst Aussie fans, and the backbone of the Pom's attack for many years. He will be missed.
The positive is that the other guys now have to step up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never apologise for the truth, Kenny.

England have to be very careful as to who they pick for the next test to replace Gough - they are in a mess now with Flintoff the 'most experienced' seamer.

Two choices - sink or swim.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Either that or give the spot to Rikki Clarke.
Rikki Clarke is to good for us Marc afterall he hit more than a run a ball 36 and then followed that up with the best figures of the match 3/48 (9) :O

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And two run-outs which were simply superb - stunning, even.

Celebrated, of course, in fitting style - with a Clarkewatch to match such an auspicious occasion - see DD 'Channel 4' diary entry on the front page. Got you there, Rich

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
And two run-outs which were simply superb - stunning, even.
Yep forgot about them, everyone grab somthing to hold! - when the Duck does his next "Clarkwatch" it's going to be big :lol:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
long time ago my friend in England talked about this bowler who had burst onto the scene by bowling an inswinging yorker, and the next day many newspapers had chanted "Gough like Waqar".

Great bowler, and probably the main reason why there was resurgence in the English side in the 90s after some miserable times was the bowling of Gough and Caddick. Another example how fast bowlers (or bowlers in general) are a must for a successful test side, Pakistan being an exception ofcourse.

If England wants to stay competitive they need to find replacements for Gough and Caddick.

masterblaster

International Captain
Goodbye Goughie, he was and always will be a true champion with a great big heart.

My choices to fill the void: ie. these are done with inexperienced judgements as I do not watch County Cricket, but have a fair idea.

(In no particular order)

1. Kabir Ali - Handy Batsman, was very impressed when he was down here

2. Chris Tremlett - Ive seen him bowl, he has impressed me too, not sure about his current form.

3. James Kirtley - Same, he's been quite impressive and looks like a more suitable option for the 5 day game.

4. Richard Johnson - If fit?

5. Simon Jones - When he comes back, I think he can be the ideal candidate

6. Glenn Chapple - Handy with bat and a top bowler, perhaps too old? Current form anyone?

7. James Ormond - Okay, failed in his first few tests, current form anyone? Current level of fitness? Impressive bowler nonetheless

Im sure there are many more, but these are the notable ones I could think of.

I would give the spot to Kabir Ali, he looks like having what it takes to succeed at this level, and his batting is a bonus too.

Craig

World Traveller
Jones makes his return to County Cricket for Glamorgan tonight (Australian time), so we will wait and see. Actually I thought he wouldnt be back this County season, so I dont know. It would be most unfair on other players if he got selected for the next Test even if he picked up ten wickets.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
it is highly unlikely that Jones will come evn close to being picked. hes prob not fit enuf and he needs more match practice.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I thought he was playing a reserve game. Still, there will be plenty of press coverage - everyone is keen to see how he gets on. Hopefully he will get back into it quickly.

As for replacing Gough and Caddick, well Anderson seems a ready made replacement for Gough, just needs a bit more experience. As for Caddick, Harmison is probably the most similar bowler around but is so inconsistent. Chris Tremlett is the other who fits the bill but he can't even get a regular gig with Hampshire yet. For some reason they are persisting with James Bruce instead.

From what I've seen, I would say Kirtley isn't a test match bowler, Ormond isn't either, Kabir Ali also would just be completely ineffective in the kind of conditions we've seen in the first two tests (ok so were the bowlers who played - oh how we miss Caddick!), Jones won't be ready for some time yet, Chapple might have been a useful player in ODIs once upon a time but is too old to come in now.

That leaves Johnson and Hoggard who hopefully will be fit and deserve to come in, plus they can bring some experience which will be vital.

Craig

World Traveller
Bazza said:
I thought he was playing a reserve game. Still, there will be plenty of press coverage - everyone is keen to see how he gets on. Hopefully he will get back into it quickly.

As for replacing Gough and Caddick, well Anderson seems a ready made replacement for Gough, just needs a bit more experience. As for Caddick, Harmison is probably the most similar bowler around but is so inconsistent. Chris Tremlett is the other who fits the bill but he can't even get a regular gig with Hampshire yet. For some reason they are persisting with James Bruce instead.

From what I've seen, I would say Kirtley isn't a test match bowler, Ormond isn't either, Kabir Ali also would just be completely ineffective in the kind of conditions we've seen in the first two tests (ok so were the bowlers who played - oh how we miss Caddick!), Jones won't be ready for some time yet, Chapple might have been a useful player in ODIs once upon a time but is too old to come in now.

That leaves Johnson and Hoggard who hopefully will be fit and deserve to come in, plus they can bring some experience which will be vital.
I hope you are not passing judgement from what he is like at ODI level.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No I am passing judgment from having watched him in domestic cricket for many years now. Chapple never played ODIs so how could I judge him from that?

My point is, he can be fairly accurate and get a little movement early with the white ball which causes him to get wickets, but in tests he doesn't have enough to get batsmen out except in the kindest of conditions. Like Ormond. I do think it's unfair to compare him to Clarke though!

http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ENG/C/CHAPPLE_G_01004239/

465 wickets at 28 is very respectable.

27 wickets at 37 from 10 matches this season though doesn't exactly suggest he should be in the England team.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
masterblaster said:
Goodbye Goughie, he was and always will be a true champion with a great big heart.

My choices to fill the void: ie. these are done with inexperienced judgements as I do not watch County Cricket, but have a fair idea.

(In no particular order)

1. Kabir Ali - Handy Batsman, was very impressed when he was down here

2. Chris Tremlett - Ive seen him bowl, he has impressed me too, not sure about his current form.

3. James Kirtley - Same, he's been quite impressive and looks like a more suitable option for the 5 day game.

4. Richard Johnson - If fit?

5. Simon Jones - When he comes back, I think he can be the ideal candidate

6. Glenn Chapple - Handy with bat and a top bowler, perhaps too old? Current form anyone?

7. James Ormond - Okay, failed in his first few tests, current form anyone? Current level of fitness? Impressive bowler nonetheless

Im sure there are many more, but these are the notable ones I could think of.

I would give the spot to Kabir Ali, he looks like having what it takes to succeed at this level, and his batting is a bonus too.
Congrats Sangrah, you're the only person in the world (apart from the selectors) who has put "Glenn Chapple" and "England" in the same paragraph whilst keeping a straight face this week...

I'd have said it was between Martin Saggers and Kabir Ali for mine. They must have tossed a coin heads for Saggers, tails for Kabir, and it landed on its side...