• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damian Martyn the Slow

Eclipse

International Debutant
50* 22 balls told you he could hit.

Second fastest 50 ever by an Australian by the way.

Are you watching this Age ??

juztinlanger

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If your talkin bout Aus vs Ban in the 2nd ODI, he is right now 92 not out off somfin. The match has just finished with an easy win to aus:D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haha well now hes gonna have to bat like that more often, now that hes shown he CAN ACTUALLY SCORE FAST

loved Brett Lees spell, beat the bat 22 times and didn't get a wicket, too good for the Bangladeshi's te get bat on...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I agree, bevan is SO slow. Anyway, my apologies again for my unfortunate Martyn "Boring" comments.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I Know Greg Chappell was counting the times Lee beat the bat I though that was funny.

I hope Lee bowls like that more often and does not get despondent because he did not get any wicket's becuase that about the best he has ever bowled.

I think it's signifigant that he only bowled 2 yorkers and 5 bouncers and the rest were good line and length it's usualy the other way around.

Slats4ever

Leave Bevan alone, he's by far and away Australia's best 1 day batsman. how many times have we been in the situation when australia have looked like getting taken up the bum and he comes out and saves us. Who cares if he stole marto's century. the selectors have stolen 20 test match centuries off bevan by not lletting him play

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Wasn't Martyn's one-day strike rate up in the 80's even before this innings??

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It certainly wasn't slow. He got Langer syndrome... no matter how fast he scores, people always consider him a slow grafter...

juztinlanger

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think Bevan shouldn't be accused. Sure he's not the fastest scorer, but think how many times he has saved Australia's bum. He doesnt have an average of 54 for nuttin.

As for Martyn, he's a bloody legend. He's shown hes capable.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It certainly wasn't slow. He got Langer syndrome... no matter how fast he scores, people always consider him a slow grafter...
Witch is weird because unlike Langer Martyn looks fantastic when he bats. Now that mark Waugh has gone he is our most elegent batsman.

You cant associate lack off power with him ether at least not through the offside. I have never seen anyone hit the back foot cover drive harder than Martyn can.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never seen Bevan open before. Symonds opened for Kent a few times in the 20Twenty this year.

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
I've never seen Bevan open before. Symonds opened for Kent a few times in the 20Twenty this year.
It was probley only because the middle order were complaining they weren't getting a bat ;)

Bazza

International 12th Man
Kenny said:
Wasn't Martyn's one-day strike rate up in the 80's even before this innings??
No because his SR is now 79.45 but he has 3000 runs at 43 plus 2000 test runs at 46. Good player.

Mr. P

I say keep Symonds in the side for the time being, and if he isn't consistent enough then greg blewett can play. (as all-rounder)

anzac

International Debutant
juztinlanger said:
I think Bevan shouldn't be accused. Sure he's not the fastest scorer, but think how many times he has saved Australia's bum. He doesnt have an average of 54 for nuttin.

As for Martyn, he's a bloody legend. He's shown hes capable.
Bevan always starts slowly - but the longer he is at the crease the larger his total, the better his strike rate (usually better than anyone else apart from the 'hitters'), and the more likely Australia will be in a winning position. IMO he is still one of the few batsmen I'd have as a 'go to' in ODI, just as I'd choose S Waugh in Tests!!!!

Martyn has always been class and as I've said in previous threads IMO he is key for AUS batting in holding the innings on track. He is the ideal transition batsmen to hold the top together around the 'stroke players / hitters' - he just doesn't have the same 'big hit' reputation as those around him in the team - Hayden & Ponting above him, Lehman & Gilchrist below.

Langer's strike rate was never so good as when he got dropped and reinvented as an opener. Batting down the order he was more of a defensive player than Martyn has been.

Bazza

International 12th Man
anzac said:
He is the ideal transition batsmen to hold the top together around the 'stroke players / hitters' - he just doesn't have the same 'big hit' reputation as those around him in the team - Hayden & Ponting above him, Lehman & Gilchrist below.
Gilchrist opens in ODIs!