• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of All-Rounders (Tests)

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually yeah Hammond should be way higher on this list lol. Huge miss.
If Hadlee is already picking up votes as an all-rounder, should we be considering Hammond as well as someone who's an approximate batting AR counterpoint? (I.e. awesome bat, handy but not special bowler.)
Hammond.

On of the greatest batsmen ever and good enough bowler to balance a side as the 5th bowler in a batting-friendly era. By ICC rankings he was the #1 all rounder for most of his career.
:ph34r:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This feels to me like a subtle difference between "all round cricketer" and "all-rounder" - Hammond's usefulness as a bowler augmenting his all-time level batting and slip fielding makes him an amazing all round cricketer, but I struggle to call a bloke with 83 wickets in 85 Tests an all-rounder.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
We have our usual dozen or so votes in, and the result is:
Benaud 2
Holder 2
Hammond 6
Davidson 3

I declare Walter Hammond the 24th all-rounder on the CW list.

The List
1. Garry Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Keith Miller
5. Ian Botham
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Kapil Dev
8. Aubrey Faulkner
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Shaun Pollock
11. Ravindra Jadeja
12. Ben Stokes
13. Monty Noble
14. Tony Greig
15. Trevor Goddard
16. Chris Cairns
17. Vinoo Mankad
18. Mushtaq Mohammad
19. Andrew Flintoff
20. Jack Gregory
21. Eddie Barlow
22. Warwick Armstrong
23. Ravichandran Ashwin
24. Walter Hammond

I declare the voting open for the 25th spot on the CW list of Test All-Rounders.

As @The Sean pointed out:

"Based on ICC peak ratings, we've still not chosen four of the all time top 20 - Benaud, Holder, Davidson and McMillan.
Add to that there's also Reid, Vettori, Woolley, Rhodes, Bailey, Kelleway, Watson and maybe a handful of others I've not thought of. "

which gives us the basis on which to extend the list to 30.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it hard to vote for bowlers averaging < 25 with the bat as true all-rounders. As good as Benaud and Davidson were, I'm giving the nod to Holder.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it hard to vote for bowlers averaging < 25 with the bat as true all-rounders. As good as Benaud and Davidson were, I'm giving the nod to Holder.
How does that tally with voting for a batsman who took fewer than one wicket per Test at an average of nearly 40?